[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You know what's funny? The image of reading as an "old
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 1461111302656.jpg (120 KB, 1022x865) Image search: [Google]
1461111302656.jpg
120 KB, 1022x865
You know what's funny? The image of reading as an "old man's hobby".

This couldn't be further from the truth, however. The worst time to read in your life is when you're old, because your attention span has rotted to shit by then.

Your physiology all over has decayed, and that includes the amount of dope your brain can pump out, and that affects how long you can isolate your attention on one thing.

Reading is possibly the most attention-intensive task there is. You can't enjoy a novel when you're reading in 20-second bursts (no, I'm not talking about stopping to think about the text or admiring good prose, I'm talking about your mind wandering to other things because the book is understimulating-it's not "dope" enough). You need to be knee-deep in the word jungle to the point where you focus more on the flip-side of your self-where you identify more with the experience than the experiencer.

As a teenager, I clearly remember consuming entire books in single sittings, never missing a beat. Nowadays, my reading is fragmentary and I tire out easily.

Truly, reading is for the young or those who have superior attentions spans; brains that are constantly wading in a sea of dope. If you have a poor attention span and are reading recreationally you are doing yourself a disservice, I believe.
>>
Old people's attention spans aren't "rotten" because they don't use the technology that rots their attention span because they are old people you massive stupid faggot.
>>
>>8021813
Nature+Nurture determines everything.

Yeah, they haven't fried themselves by pounding down coffees, taking huge bong hits, and playing CoD and Halo while checking social media in between matches for entire summers at a time.

However, they're old. Their forms have been alive longer than these albeit attention-deficit youngsters, and that "nature" factor weighs more heavily than the likely temporary damage (sometimes permanent, I'm not arguing that) youngins have done to their attention spans by playing exploitative video games and getting a rush out of their peers liking their profile picture.
>>
Fuck off.
>>
I didn't read any of that but I was always scared of being an old man and reading a book and learning something from it and being filled with regret that I didn't read it earlier. I'm sure this is bound to happen but it scares me.
>>
>>8021869
>falling for the regret meme

Not every life is filled with everything. That's a retarded ideal. Do what you can and try to have a good time.
>>
File: 1458387333607.jpg (114 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1458387333607.jpg
114 KB, 640x640
>>8021874
I refuse. I will fill my life with as many experiences and lessons and beautiful moments as a human can.
>>
>>8021857
You are so stupid I can't even express your stupidity with words.

>nature
Since when do old people's attention spans decrease due to age? Since never, you made this up. Attention isn't just one single physical thing, it doesn't wear down. It can fluctuate, people who only use internet and play vidya for years can still manage to get into reading with practice.
Just as an example, my grandfather could work in Fortran for hours, and grandma can read books while TV is working right next to her. My siblings, on the other hand, can barely force themselves to read books and their attention is caught even by a simple screensaver on a computer monitor.

>If you have a poor attention span and are reading recreationally you are doing yourself a disservice, I believe.
This conclusion makes no sense. Even if old people do read more slowly, why would reading be a "disservice"? They still get enjoyment and see meaning in a work of art. What, they should be watching Transformers and playing Serious Sam?
>>
>>8022053
>watching transformers and play Serious Sam

Thanks, made me kek
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.