[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1
File: TheOnesWhoWalkAwayFromOmelas.jpg (25 KB, 213x294) Image search: [Google]
TheOnesWhoWalkAwayFromOmelas.jpg
25 KB, 213x294
Help me out here, guys. I'm completely stumped. I read this about a year or two ago and assumed it was a critique of the tendency to make genre fiction (or fiction in general) edgy and grimdark because that's "realistic".

I found I didn't quite understand where Le Guin was going with it, so to speak. Was she saying she eschewed the edginess - that she had walked away? Refusing to let her work fall into laziness etc? But I didn't really care.

Recently, the story/essay/whatever was mentioned in connection with an alleged child molestation epidemic in SF circles of the time. I thought it was BS and decided to google a few analyses to see what was going on. Turns out most analyses don't think it's any way a reflection on fiction. They seem to think it's a real-world political allegory.

I'm aware of the Henry James connection to utilitarianism, but can any kindly passer-by help me out here? What the hell is this actually about?
>>
>>7973052
It's an essay in moral philosophy - viz., on the limitations of utilitarianism.

I don't know where you got 'edgy', 'grimdark' or 'realistic'. Try reading it again after taking a class in introductory ethics.
>>
>>7973104
>I don't know where you got 'edgy', 'grimdark' or 'realistic'.

She says that modern audiences consider happiness 'archaic' and indicative of simple-mindedness. She hammers home repeatedly that despite their happiness, they aren't 'simple folk'. She then suggests that it is difficult for the reader to actually accept this, and then presents the scapegoat child, with the assurance that this will make the Omelasians far easier to picture, and to accept as both happy and complex, with rich inner lives etc.

As I said, I'm aware of its inspiration by William James (it's late) and his remarks on utilitarianism. But if this interpretation is correct then I fail to see it as interesting. It doesn't in any sense actually explore or consider the implied utilitarian system - it's just The Ones Who Didn't Subscribe To Specific Variants Of Utilitarianism. So what? Whereas it seems at least to be somewhat provocative, or suggestive of an actual thesis, if it's read as a critique of trends in fiction.

And don't bother replying until you've taken an introductory course in not being a cunt.
Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.