[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which book will make my life meaningful?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: 1464903027498.jpg (11 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1464903027498.jpg
11 KB, 250x250
Which book will make my life meaningful?
>>
never let me go. it will make you realize how short your life could be .
>>
>>8293856
Kant
>>
>>8293862
>le retarded rigid morality man

Ebin m8
>>
a book that will evoke your own view of yourself in mythic and heroic terms.
>>
>>8293923
Yes, yes jung, we're all slaves to the unconscious, dreams are all deep and meaningful. Go back to the grave please
>>
>>8293856
The Bible.
>>
>>8293856
If you're a depressed late teens/early 20s male, I would suggest The myth of Sisyphus and The Stranger. Entry level, I know, but still.

Helped a bit on my outlook of "why am I even born into this pointless shithole, just kill me now desu".
>>
>>8293856
The Gay Science desu
>>
>>8293962
'We must imagine sisyphus happy'

Why must we? No reason. It is just posturing for the sake of enjoying/being consolled by feeling heroic. If nothing matters his revolt does not matter either. He has no response or apparent awareness of this. It's just a tacked on optimism that has no content and is utterly inapplicable in any and all real world, real life situation. Nothing more. The stranger is ok
>>
>>8293971
Ramblings of a madman.
>>
>>8293984
Nah, he wrote it before he started to really go crazy. Besides, he even says in the book, sometimes the mad speak the truth (and there is a long tradition in Europe and elsewhere of the mad being seers and oracles, the dispensers of truth)

Anyway it's a good book
>>
>>8294001
>mad, fruit-obsessed, obscurity-fetishist says mad people speak the truth

I'm convinced
>>
>>8293856
The Bible
>>
>>8294022
Nietzche is rarely obscure
>>
>>8294028
That's probably why there is next to zero consensus on anything he says. If you speak in metaphors and flowery imagery and try to pass it off for something with substance it doesn't work unless you're lucky enough to have become famous. He's a joke, he's his time's zizek.
>>
>>8293856
any decent book will make your life a bit more interesting (to you) in ways that you don't really pick up on immediately
>>
>>8293856
The Holy Qu'ran
>>
read Ecce Homo like you're recovering from a case of amnesia and the book is a series of notes you've left to yourself to remind you who you are

if that's too weird for you at least its full of funny bombastic shit like

"A doctor who treated me for some time as a nerve patient finally declared: "No! There is nothing wrong with your nerves it is simply I who am nervous!”."
>>
>>8293856
Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle
Confessions by St. Augustine
Meditation by Aurelius
Metaphysics of Morals by Kant

>>8294028
He is in fact very obscure without the proper background, which is rarely attained by thy average reader outside the academia. Nietzsche writing style, almost secretive and with what if feel like a close relation to the reader, makes them thing they understand something they really don't.
There is a reason he is one of the most quoted philosophers, and most quotes completely miss the point. "What doesn't kill me makes me stronger" one of the most notorious, taking it literally without noticing the irony and the place it is given in Nietzsche's work - namely, once in which he pretends to ridicule the thoughts of they 'populum'.

Reading Nietzsche without reading Kant and Schopenhauer is a useless activity, and to read those new there is quite a background to be covered before...
>>
>>8294079
>German humour
>>
>>8294101

is best humor

read the nuremburg trials transcripts like its a nihlist deadpan act, part of it went something like this

"Prisoners were fed, clothed, and provided with a brothel"

(judge turns to translator) "A brothel?"

"Yes, a brothel"
>>
>>8294121
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Xd
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.