[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this book #1 on the list?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
What is so hard about reading Catch-22?
>>
>>8293413
something about it really winds people up the wrong way. i don't know how they drop it either, but it is one of the more common love it or hate it entry level books.
>>
It's an extremely popular book that is kind of long, so you get people who don't read picking it up and quickly remembering that they don't have the patience to read.
>>
>>8293413
It's long and not linear. It's a popular book so people that don't read often might try it because they've heard of it.
This combo leads to people dropping it.
It's actually not a very difficult read though.
>>
>>8293413
People mostly read it in high school, and find it difficult then
>>
>>8293413
I'm gonna start reading it tonight actually. Recently finished Infinite Jest and didn't get the ending. How stupid am I, /lit?
>>
>>8293515
There's nothing to get. Did you enjoy the ride?
>>
File: CbmaRufVAAAHW5i.png (587 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
CbmaRufVAAAHW5i.png
587 KB, 1000x562
>infinite jest not #1
huge oversight
>>
>>8293422
>>8293424
>>8293434
>>8293508
or could be that it actually sucks?
>>
>>8293700
>goodreads
>>
>>8293413
I loved it and devoured it, immediately bought all the sequels, read maybe five chapters into the next one, never looked at them again.
>>
I'm about 400 pages into The Good Soldier Svejk. It's a slog and I can't say I would recommend it though I'll persevere. It kind of reminds me of Heller in places.
>>
>>8293413
it doesn't really change all that much
it repeats itself
it's repetitive
it just keeps doing variations on the same routine over and over again
>>
>>8293413
because it's a shitty novel
>>
>>8293700
Yeah, that's probably it. There's not even a trace of subtle, intelligent humor and the message is transmitted in such an obvious way that it becomes insulting. Major Major Major Major? A guy traveling the world making money and bombing his own base? C'mon, that's middle school level satire.
>>
>>8293515
did you reread the first chapter?
>>
Puns based on names can barely hold your attention for a chapter, much less an entire book. Refuge of the witless.
>>
>>8293515
Gately died at the end.
>>
>>8293515
whoa dude, no clear ending, just a slow evaporation, sooo postmodern amicorrecT?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.