[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Call of the Wild
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 91d+PSmdhyL._SL1500_.jpg (233 KB, 985x1500) Image search: [Google]
91d+PSmdhyL._SL1500_.jpg
233 KB, 985x1500
My friend's dog just died, and I was thinking of getting him this collection of Jack London's canine stories.

I've not read it myself, are they any good?

Also, I'm a bit deficient when it comes to social norms. Is it acceptable to give someone a book of dog stories when they're grieving their best friend? I can't tell if it's a good idea or not.
>>
>>8293109
>I've not read it myself, are they any good?
I think they are among the best of classic American literature, and are also very accessible to none readers.

> Is it acceptable to give someone a book of dog stories when they're grieving their best friend?
I think the best thing would be nothing, asked the wife and she concurred. Offer condolences.
>>
Their good books, but that's fucked. Don't buy that for him..
>>
>>8293109
I get you have good intentions but if you can't see why that would be a bad idea then maybe you need to re-assess the situation, OP. Fellow dog-lover here who lost his best canine buddy a year ago today: I can confirm that it will feel insensitive, even if you mean well. Give him a few months and then recommend him the book if you think he'd enjoy it/if you enjoyed it.
>>
>>8293109
Rule of thumb: Never buy gifts aside from flowers and cards for bereavement, food is acceptable if you bring it to the house.
>>
>>8293156
but not hotdogs
>>
I wasn't intending it to be a bereavement gift per se, I give books (old and new) to people pretty often so I was hoping it would be seen in that way.

But I think you guys are right that it would be pretty insensitive, it's probably not comforting to be reminded of a deceased buddy at the moment. Maybe I'll get a copy to read myself and give it to him in a year or so.
>>
>>8293154
I'm sorry about your friend.
>>
Sure why don't you drop off a bag of pedigree chum while you're at it.
>>
>>8293215
He doesn't have any more dogs to feed.
>>
I'm pretty sure a shit ton of dogs die in the story iirc. So that'd be kind of bad
You should definitely read it though, it's one of the books that got me into reading at a young age. One of the only books I've cried about
>>
>>8293205
Thanks, anon. He's definitely in a better place, the little guy got pretty old and his health and disposition just wasn't quite the same. We've kept his ashes in a nice little wooden casket with his name engraved on the top. It sounds daft but losing a dog does feel like losing a family member due to the bond and unconditional love a dog can give to their owner.
>>
>>8293229
I don't doubt, and it doesn't sound daft at all. I've never had a pet but the connection I've observed my friends to have with their animal friends is clearly a very powerful one.
>>
>>8293221
Autism is strong in you, my friend.
>>
>>8293297
Thank you for being understanding, anon.
>>
>>8293158
kek
>>
>>8293158
Had a kek
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.