[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I've been writing books for a living for around 2 years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: bunnyg.png (295 KB, 400x550) Image search: [Google]
bunnyg.png
295 KB, 400x550
So I've been writing books for a living for around 2 years now, it's been going pretty alright

Lately I tried getting into books and reading them, but I just get sick of them so quickly

I actually really like writing books, all kinds, which is a bit odd I guess, that reading them is such a no go for me

Is this common? For writers to hate reading books?
>>
Post some of your work.
>>
Never heard of it but please don't change. A writer who is excited about writing but who doesn't read would be extremely valuable. Please do post your work and don't be discouraged if people don't like it. You have what may be a unique situation, hold onto it
>>
>>8292015
Alright I dug this up

http://pastebin.com/Qc3ERcpn

This one I actually got paid for, but it was never published so I never polished it
Sorry in advance for the mistakes that are surely in it
>>
File: Hello Darkness, My Old Friend.png (649 KB, 801x1081) Image search: [Google]
Hello Darkness, My Old Friend.png
649 KB, 801x1081
>>8292012
>writing books for a living

HOW

I've been getting paid for writing, but it's no where near enough for me to quit my day job.
>>
>>8292012
I think I found your particular book situation.
>>
>>8292039
Thanks I posted one of my older things on that pastebin
Shit on it if you like friendo

>>8292071
You become a ghostwriter, those are always on high demand
If all else fails, that website Upwork is pretty alright for that

Starting out really sucks balls when you have no prior work to show but it gets better over time
I remember the first book I wrote I wrote for the guy for literally half his asking price. That was my jump off point

It's honestly really discouraging and some people suck so much at telling you what they want, so you start writing something you think they wanted but nope they just had no words to explain it proper

>I've been getting paid for writing
For what and how much?
>>
>>8292096
>For what and how much?

Vast majority of my paid for work is short stories I send into literary journals that accept public submissions. Average payment for those works that are accepted is around 100 bucks, but the one time I got Tin House to accept something, they paid 300.

Even if I quit my day job and worked 9 to 5 every day on just short stories, I'm not confident enough in my acceptance chances to believe I could live off that.
>>
>>8292056
>''What you writing there big daddy?'' – She was wearing an ugly apron, which was no wonder for a small diner, but she wore it well. He instantly found her attractive. He felt like asking her to join him at the party. Maybe she was the one. Or maybe he was just lonely. Looking out the window, he answered the girl.
>''It's nothing, call it a novel.''
>''Seems like a diary to me.'' – she said playfully, kettle full of steaming coffee in her hand.
>''I wouldn't call it a diary. It's more of a. . .an event log.'' – he felt she was mocking him. Don't blame him, been a while since he talked to a woman.
>''This, event log, does it contain your daily activities, thoughts and feelings?''
>He sat there a moment, thinking, fiddling with his pen looking at her. Damn, I guess it is a diary, he admits it to himself. He shrugs without answering. She giggled gently and poured him some coffee.
>''Oh, you don't have to-''
>''It's okay now, on the house this cup. That darn fog will make it quite hard to drive. I'll pick someone staying awake, alive and not crashing over couple of dollars.''
>''That's mighty kind of you miss. What would your employer say?''
>''It's just coffee mister.''

wow this is absolute drivel
>>
>>8292119
Why? It's just dialog between two people

>>8292116
You mind sharing one of them?
I'm curious
And yea there's nothing like that in my country, which is too bad
>>
>>8292012
So you're Garth Marenghi?
>>
>>8292116
Do you specifically write things based on what the magazines are asking for or do you just write shit and submit it wherever it might "fit"?
>>
>>8292494

Not him, but most editors have a monthly theme that they'll put out at least one issue in advance.

For example, Tin House's upcoming theme is "Sex? Again?" and they're accepting works around that theme.
>>
>>8293152
I know. The point of the question was to see if someone who allegedly gets published follows those themes when writing or not.
>>
>>8292039
Nobody lives in a vacuum. Just because OP doesn't read books doesn't mean he isn't constantly absorbing the pop cultural background radiation. As a result, the writer-who-doesn't-read cops their entire understanding of how to tell a story from movies and TV, and you get stuff like >>8292056, which frankly sucks OP I'm sorry
>>
>>8292136
>Why? It's just dialog between two people
Sounds fake as hell, first of all. Terrible atmosphere, with all this "maybe he's just lonely, as he looks out the window into the fog" stuff. Might as well have him take a drag on a cigarette too.
>>
>>8293357
Not that guy, but much like B-movies there is an entire culture of writing and writers who function on this semi-derivative plot along level. When it works it's called a page-turner.
For most readers this is the sweet zone of writing, and most people who want to support themselves through writing will have to end up here.

He never said he was Nabokov, just that he was paid for his writing.
>>
>>8293351
This all fucking day
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.