[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can philosophy have an actual, quantifiable effect upon one's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7
File: Imagination intensifies.jpg (130 KB, 832x690) Image search: [Google]
Imagination intensifies.jpg
130 KB, 832x690
Can philosophy have an actual, quantifiable effect upon one's mental health? Take Nietzsche, for example: Did his philosophy drive him, at least in part, mad? Or was his madness completely unrelated? That is, nothing more than a likelihood as a consequence of his father's own madness, that sadly came to fruition.

Or can it even a physical impact on the brain, for example?
>>
>>8289180

>Or can it even a physical impact on the brain, for example?

Yeah, if you're any kind of Marxist/SJW, then chances are a blunt object will make a very impact on your brain, and by mine own hand no less.
>>
>>8289180
>>8289199
>1 poster
>>
File: Get in, property.jpg (47 KB, 720x428) Image search: [Google]
Get in, property.jpg
47 KB, 720x428
>>8289180

>Did his philosophy drive him, at least in part, mad? Or was his madness completely unrelated?

Probably the latter, though I do find it interesting how unexplored the relationship is between philosophy and mental health.
>>
>>8289180
lIt'll have some physical impact on the brain because learning new things and plasticity and all that.

I think there's something to be said for thinking differently and seeing things in a new light and all that. But you can say that about almost any pursuit, like would we have Nash Equilibria if John Nash hadn't been fucking mental. In fact I'd say math has more than its fair share of nutters (one of the researchers in Cambridge I think it was on the Monster set ended up living in a basement trying to find the ultimate truth in bus timetables).
>>
>>8289199

>2016
>Fascists think they'll have the last laugh
>>
>>8289180
Not really, no. I hate this romanticized view of mental health as a catalyst for great works of literature, philosophy and art. Most often they hinder it.
>>
>>8289180
>>8289199
>>8289211
>>8289221
Same poster

Seriously, kill yourself
>>
>>8289180

Nietzche had syphillis. His philosophy had nothing to do with his madness.
>>
>>8289206
>>8289233

Who let the same poster in?
>>
>>8289230
The thing to remember is they're p much always only medical problems because they hinder.
>>
>>8289246

>Nietzche had syphillis

Keep believing the memes, kid.
>>
>>8289246
I'm more on the brain tumor train.
>>
File: Who wins.jpg (34 KB, 285x257) Image search: [Google]
Who wins.jpg
34 KB, 285x257
>>8289246

His madness was hereditary, that's all. His dad had it, he had. These sorts of things tend to run in the family. He lived his life in fear of succumbing to that same madness.

Whilst in Turin, it began to take hold in interesting ways. At his lodgings, he used to dance around his room naked and maniacally play the piano to all hours.

This was shortly before the horse incident.
>>
>>8289266
Looking at letters and diary entries (like Cosima Wagner's) his eyesight went incredibly bad (mostly blind in one eye) in the mid 1880s. That can lead to visual hallucinations. Or the hallucinations and blindness can have the same cause.
>>
>>8289180
Depends what you mean by philosopher.

If you're an analytic philosopher: Yes. Your repetitive, menial academic tasks, like publishing and making connections at conferences, discussing semantic truth tables, etc, will turn your brain into dull, uninspired mush. Cf Johnson 2014; Pecker 2012; Quine 1964.

If you're a continental philosopher: You're treating Geist as your ontotheological horizon. Turn back to objects, mayne. #OOO?

If you're a philosopher: Ask better questions.
>>
>>8289296

If you're a philosopher, give better answers.
>>
File: avello.jpg (7 KB, 172x180) Image search: [Google]
avello.jpg
7 KB, 172x180
>>8289362
>philosophy
>answers
>>
>>8289387

>philosophy
>>
>>8289395
>smoking
>>
>>8289415

>Caring about health
>>
>>8289423
>not caring about existence
>>
>>8289423
>ayy lmao lets get trash in our bodies because we free famalam xP
>>
>>8289430
>he thinks he exists
>>
>>8289449
>>
File: You are my property.jpg (52 KB, 412x680) Image search: [Google]
You are my property.jpg
52 KB, 412x680
>>8289430

>caring about existence
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.