[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why isn't Shakespeare considered a fantasy writer? I mean...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 2012AA01598.jpg (133 KB, 858x540) Image search: [Google]
2012AA01598.jpg
133 KB, 858x540
Why isn't Shakespeare considered a fantasy writer?

I mean... Oberon, Titania and the other fairies in Midsummer, Hamlet's ghost dad, the three witches in Macbeth, the sorcerers/sprites/spirits in The Tempest... etc.
>>
Shakespeare transcends genre
>>
>>8288359
Because Shakespeare isn't shit.
>>
>>8288369
HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
>>
Because if we move him to the fantasy section of the bookstore, we also have to move Lewis Carrol, Spenser, Homer, Marquez, and a bunch of other classics, new and old, with fantasy elements, and then you'll get fat fantasy nerds complaining that they don't belong there because they never read Tolkein or something.
>>
>>8288359
because the artificial divisions between genres didn't exist until recently when people started subdividing stuff up into ever more painfully fussy partitions

this stuff didn't matter to people in the past. for example, most of charles dickens' books are social commentary but suddenly in a christmas carol a ghost turns up. if that happened now people would say ERMAGERD DICKENS IS A FANTASY WRITER REEEE etc etc
>>
>>8288359

Because behind Shakespeares fantasy there's actually meaning :^)
>>
>>8288423

This. I write stories that have elements of multiple genres, but the autistic way everything has to be labelled now forces me to pigeon-hole it all onto just one or two. People don't like it when a book doesn't follow the pre-set categories.
>>
>>8288364
No, he doesn't.
>>
>>8288840
I just call my stories sci-fi even though I really dont give a fuck about genre

Its just a matter of convenience, marketing.
>>
>>8288844

I know, right? I had a story where humans had finally found the secret to biological immortality, and it was set in the world after it had become the norm. But the plot wasn't about the science behind it, it was about two people and society's gradual devolution into carnal desires. It had to be labelled "sci-fi", just 'cause.
>>
>>8288853

because for no-name author like you, it's probably more marketable and attractive to readers that you start off as trashy genre shit instead of a pretentious "literary fiction" writer.
>>
Would it have anything to do with the fact that they are plays?
>>
>>8288863

Why would you assume I'm a "no-name author"?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.