[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /lit/ like actual literature?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: plato-the-republic.jpg (796 KB, 874x1416) Image search: [Google]
plato-the-republic.jpg
796 KB, 874x1416
Does /lit/ like actual literature?
>>
>>8285957
I read Dubliners once. Didn't understand any of it and it was pretty shit, but at least I read it. Right?
>>
>>8285965
God DAMN right.
>>
>>8285965
DAMN straight.
>>
I just got Plato's complete works, and was thinking of reading from start to finish.

I just finished reading Apology, and found it okay. What are his best works?
>>
>>8286298
Phaedo
>>
>>8286329
Not really that great though. I much prefer The Three Musketeers.
>>
>>8285957
When I buy a book, I feel like part of me has already read it, and I just need to remember it.
I buy books often and I like the feeling of it, so I guess you could say I like literature.
>>
>>8286298
Theaetetus, Phaedo, Symposium, Republic, Crito, Sophist, Statesman, Meno, Protagoras, Euthyphro, Cratylus, Charmides, Lysis and Laches.

Disregard Parmenides, Timaeus, and Laws as autistical ramblings by Plato if you read them. Everything else (besides for maybe Apology and the Alcibiades dialogues) are pretty much irrelevant and uninteresting, and should only be read if you're intent of fully studying Plato for the sake of it.
>>
>>8285957
no
>>
>>8286521
*Oh yeah, and Gorgias too on the recommended list.
>>
>>8285957
>Plato
>literature
Come on. You can do better.
>>
>>8286592
>muh souls
>muh allegories
>muh myths
>not fiction
>>
Thank you for making this thread because now I can ask a question pertaining to this that i have wanted to ask:

What is the best translation for this book: Republic . plato?

1. Allan Bloom
2. Benjamin Jowett

Which is better?
>>
>>8288327
bump
>>
>>8288327
maximus bumpus
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.