[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright boys it's real nigga hours. If you haven't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
Alright boys it's real nigga hours. If you haven't slogged your way through this book get the fuck out.

Here's my theory on the book, feel free to tell me I'm wrong but I wanna have a discussion about it. NOTE: I read it un-annotated because I don't like myself very much.

My theory is that the whole book follows that the characters are symbols for Ireland, England, and the people of the countries respectively. As Stephen Dedalus represents Ireland we see Bloom representing England and Molly, as well as women at large, representing the common Volk. I think when we view these as symbols the book becomes more simple. Bloom lusts after numerous women and finds himself in the domicile of many, courting many. It is possible this could represent the imperialism of Great Britain. Furthermore, Stephen Dedalus seems to be a vacant character with a wide diversity of prose to ascertain his motives but it rides asunder from any real human that is relate-able. In the beginning chapter we see Stephen look out into the distance at a ship that disappears to a home he could not go. In the book Stephen always has the keys to get into the doorway or home, while Bloom does not. This could mean that Ireland has the keys to Irish independence. I'm not fully exploring my theory but I would love some feedback and some good sources to read further analysis.
>>
>>8285170
>slogged

Opinion disregarded.
>>
>>8285205
https://www.google.com/search?q=define+slogged&oq=define+slogged&aqs=chrome..69i57.3229j0j4&client=ms-android-att-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
>>
>>8285170

Bloom is a greater hero than Odysseus simply for continuing to put one foot in front of the other, with everything he's been through
>>
is this bait?
>>
>>8285344
No. I genuinely read it once with no annotations and just defined words. Obviously it's super complex and I don't expect to be correct, thus discussion
>>
>>8285215
Underage? I read Ulysses in high school without much a hitch.
>>
but bloom is an irish jew
>>
>symbolism
>>
>>8285353
everything represents Ireland in a sense. bloom does not represent england. most of the characters represent/embody certain elements of irish culture

it's a complex question of symbolism and representations and you're on the right track but don't be enticed by overly simplistic reductions
>>
Bloom has many role-roles but he's more jew than english
>>
The representative of England is that assfuck with Buck Mulligan at the beginning

That whole first chapter is based on a real event in Joyce's life
>>
>>8285503
Hey thank you for the real reply.
>>8285515
I didn't get the banking vibe, thats why I was hesitant to assign that.
>>
>>8285809
the jew economic angle here is for advertising (as evidenced in calypso) not banking silly goose
>>8285590
also this. 'usurper' and all that
>>
Largely shallow theory. Go further than just symbol identification.
>>
>>8285222
>one foot in front of the other
Subtle crosscharacter reference.
>>
>>8285170
That's far too simplistic, anon. Stephen is in some ways representative of Ireland, or a part of Irish culture, but so is virtually every character in the novel. Bloom is nowhere near domineering or imperialist enough to be a representative of England. He's an outsider more than anything.

There actually is an Englishman character in the book, Haines, who had been invited by Mulligan to stay in Stephen's place against his wishes. He is the one who is representative of English colonialism.
>>
>>8285170
>haha i just read ulysses im one of le bigboys now haha fuck off if u didnt slog thru ulysses :)

didnt even read your "theory" btw, get out kid
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.