[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking for recent horror fiction that is good. Please,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: cooltext194610782704474.png (13 KB, 593x91) Image search: [Google]
cooltext194610782704474.png
13 KB, 593x91
I'm looking for recent horror fiction that is good. Please, decent suggestions.
>>
Bump of the shameless self type.
>>
Bump bump bump. Please I need suggestions
>>
The Bible
>>
Laird Barron
Thomas Ligotti (people say he's a meme, his first few short stories collections are great)
Blake Butler
David Peak
Gary Shipley
Junji Ito (probably the most famous horror mangaka)
>>
>>8283224
Hm... I'm gonna have to recommend you some video games for this one. People just don't write horror novels anymore. Horror movies are just cheap thrills, but horror video games... yeah, they can get pretty real, in terms of writing quality.
>>
>>8284444
Name one then. SOMA is good
>>
The Ceremonies by Ted Klein. It's a little long but it's worth it.
>>
>>8283224
Lovecraft
Chambers
>>
>>8284444
Video games are for manbabies who don't know how to recognize quality
>>
>>8284435
I've read all of Junji Ito and really enjoyed most of his work.
>>8284717
I'm pretty sure I've read all of Lovecraft's works and quite a bit of the expanded mythos.
>>8284721
I happen to really enjoy video games, almost as much as reading.
>>8284459
I haven't played soma but I've played both Penumbras, the other game like Penumbra, Dark Descent something, and a few other scary games.
>>
Just read the most recent Stephen King. He's super scary.
>>
>>8284870
Check out the third Amnesia game, Amnesia: Memories. You don't need to have played the others, the story stands alone.
>>
I asked /x/ for horror fiction because I thought they would be the resource for stuff like that, and all they linked me were tumblr blogs written by trannies about vaginas.
>>
Slade House by David Mitchell (Cloud Atlas) is an okay modern horror.
Its a poe type horror, as in more occult based and not straight 'hurr big scary man chase kids'.
Its not spooky in anyway, but its a good book if you like classic horror.
>>
>>8285788
What did you expect? /x/ is full of teenagers, tumblr/reddit users(for real, I'm not just saying it as an insult), and /b/tards.
>>
>>8286279
Used to be /x/ was decent. Hell, remember when you'd be on the board and suddenly a face would appear and scream? The good old days of 4chan.
>>
Has anyone read The Ruins by Scott Smith? Is it worth checking out?
>>
>>8284435
What is Ligotti all about? I don't get the meme
>>
>>8286741
The ultimate nothingness beyond everything - Being, if you like. His short stories are almost Platonic in scope, a sort of being forced out of a cave, our world, where everything is a masquerade of the illusions we surround ourselves with, and being held, eyes wide open, to witness the nachtsonne, the dark sun of nothingness that burns everywhere in the galaxy.

He harps on about this in every story, but he writes with a beautiful prose and dresses the concept anew with every tale, so that makes him worthwhile for me. As always, your mileage might vary.
>>
>>8286756
Thanks for the reply. What's a good starting point with him? Teatro Grottesco? Grimscribe?
>>
>>8286765
Happy to help. I've read the Penguin Classics "grindhouse" collection with Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe, which I still think it's pretty good value as you can find it for seven bucks on amazon, probably less elsewhere, so my advice is to start there. You can probably find plenty of pdfs/ebooks, anyway.

Not familiar with his non-fiction so I'm not passing judgement on that, by the way, anti-natalism isn't really the most approachable subject for an Ethics layman. Laird Barron wrote this short story about him (well, it doesn't *say* it's about Ligotti but come on, really) so check this out, if you feel like it (Barron is a decent enough writer, if you're looking for something else):

http://revelatormagazine.com/fiction/more-dark/
>>
>The Troop by Nick Cutter

A cool little 'Lord of the Flies' type book that is very readable. The presentation is well done, as he was inspired by Carrie. Interspersed with the story are news articles, interrogation tapes, etc that help explain the events leading up to and immediately after the incident the story describes. It's quite bleak, and I was impressed how much he made me care about the characters in so few pages.

>The Deep, also by Nick Cutter

This one came out last year, I think it was, and I absolutely love it. The plot is a lot more out there than The Troop, but it's got a little bit of everything. At the start, there's a virus slowly wiping out mankind. The protagonist is a Joe Blow veterinarian, but his brother is a genius scientist, working in a lab at the bottom of the Challenger Deep, trying to find a cure. The surface loses contact with the team below, then they receive a message from the protagonist's brother, requesting his presence down in the lab. Like I said, it's got a bit of everything - claustrophobia (the lab is tiny, and at the deepest known point of the ocean), body horror, incredible tension. The ending even has a sort of Lovecraftian feel to it. I HIGHLY recommend this one.

>The Emperor's Old Bones by Gemma Files

Award winning short story from 2000 that, I think, won the Bram Stoker award that year. It's not really a pure horror story, but the ending is quite twisted. Definitely worth checking out, you can read it here:

https://sites.google.com/site/theemperorsoldbones/
>>
>>8286737
Its a great beach book, i finished it in like 3-4 hours last summer on holiday.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.