[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reading the Bible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: holy-bible-king-james-version.jpg (58 KB, 375x532) Image search: [Google]
holy-bible-king-james-version.jpg
58 KB, 375x532
Which books of the bible should I read?
>>
Preferably all of them, but if not:

Read the Torah: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Number, Deuteronomy.

Read the beautiful stuff: Ecclesiastes, Job, Song of Solomon

Read Isaiah, the only prophetic work required to fully understand the weight of the NT

Read all of the Gospels. Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

Read Acts.

Primary Epistles: Romans, Corinthians, Ephesians, Timothy, Hebrews, 1/2/3 John

And of course read Revelation.
>>
>>8281625
All of these and also Daniel
>>
>>8281625
lol don't read Leviticus or Numbers or Deuteronomy unless you really want to. It isn't necessary unless for study.

Also not mentioned, Proverbs and Isaiah
>>
>>8281659
I said Isaiah and agree proverbs should be added.
>>
Just read everything, what a faggot you are, do you read random chapters from every book you start?
>>
>>8281711
I'm only reading it to help me understand its influence on lit and culture, and if I can skip certain parts then that's however many pages I can read of something else.
I guess the question I should've asked is what books can I skip?
>>
>>8281725
Do you think that our culture and lit have been influenced only by a few parts? You can skip the genealogies at most but skipping anything else is retarded.
>>
>>8281725
Psalms, Numbers, Leviticus, Deuteronomy. There thats like half the old testament
>>
>>8281725
>that's however many pages I can read of something else.

>implying reading any parts of the Bible is a waste of time

god these pseuds
>>
First few books are boring as fuck, especially Leviticus, listing off furniture and shit
>>
>>8281747
4/39
Not even close to half
>>
>>8281735
>>8281750

Of course the whole thing is relevant and probably worth reading, but obviously some books are going to be more influential than others. I have a big reading list and the bible isn't at the top, so right now I only want to read the most influential parts. Also I've heard that reading the bible front to back isn't the best way to read it, at least when starting out.
>>
>>8281625
Also Jonah because of the relevance in Moby-Dick
>>
>>8281756
pagecount, boyo
>>
>>8281780
Sorry 233/993 in mine
So a quarter.
>>
Genesis
Exodus
Deuteronomy
Samuel
Kings
Job
Psalms
Proverbs
Ecclesiastes
Song of Solomon
Isaiah
Daniel

The New Testament
>>
>>8281793
Why Samuel and kings?
>>
>>8281799
Theological history of the Israelites
>>
JOB.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.