[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Being a complete beginner but having a passion about literature
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: q.jpg (42 KB, 400x484) Image search: [Google]
q.jpg
42 KB, 400x484
I always had a passion for it but never realised it and now I want to do it and also to replace my habit of playing computer games with it.So my question is how should I begin If I want to get the best out of a book(to understand it fully).Should I just google all the terminology or there is a book that have them all explained deeply and the same with analysis(is there a good site for it or I should google it and just read all the results.)Also feel free to share any tips or things that you think might be helpful.Oh and in case youre wonder I obviously read a lot of books already just want to really focus on literature and experience it properly.
>>
>>8281511
Look at lit's list of recommended literature and go for the one you recognize for hearing about them before.
If you tell me what sort of things you like we could advise you better.
Read literature of your own language first obviously.
>>
>>8281533
>If you tell me what sort of things you like we could advise you better.
I don't have any preferences yet but I'm usually irritated by love noves
and am also really interested in surrealism(i know its a broad term) but am not sure if i'm literate enough to really read such literature.
>first
Really?I'm really interested in my country's literature but I thought they were probably influenced by west writers so I thought I might miss the point.
>>
File: 4.png (1 MB, 918x1262) Image search: [Google]
4.png
1 MB, 918x1262
>>8281511
>Being a complete beginner but having a passion about literature
you've spooked yourself, you don't know what passion is, the closest you've come to experiencing it has been the mind-numbing æther of vidya which you've let yourself luxuriate in for the entire nascence of your degenerate life

read the blind owl and then off yourself so you can start over and try again
>>
I was in the same position as you OP

what I did was simple

I started to read books
>>
>>8282214
chill bruh
>>
>>8281511
>Art schools failing to teach basics, like how newspapers flip at the bottom and not the side
>>
>>8281511
I'd recommend taking a course, but I think that's out of the question.

Get a library membership. A GOOD library, mind you. Go to the stacks and just start grabbing things that interest you. Get maybe five or six books. Sit down and read one as long as you can; when you get bored, read another one. Do this until you find a book you really want to read, check it out of the library, and read it.

Do this a couple times a week at least. And here's the important bit: if you like an author, read his nonfiction: essays, letters, criticism, whatever. You'll find statements like, "[Author] is unparalleled in his mastery of [something]" or "I think [this guy] the greatest of American poets" and so on. Maybe he'll even quote a bit of them. Eventually one of his recommendations will excite you enough to head over to that section of the library and check out this new book by this new guy. Etc, etc.

The key thing is the library. When you're in the library, you can go take a look at any book you fancy, and if you find it a little dull, you can just put it right back. There's no need to commit to anything, but you can if you want to.

And don't kid yourself: you're not going to quit video games. But you might play them less often.
>>
See if there is a college lecture on it from somewhere like the Teaching Company/Great Courses/Open MIT

Watch a docuemntary on it

Watch a BookTV show on it

Cliffnotes

Wikipedia

Author interviews on podcasts/youtube

Audiobook

Then read it

Then you can use peer-reviewed journals with articles on it
>>
>>8283096
Ofcourse this is if you have 'passion"
>>
Read the book HOW TO READ A BOOK
>>
>>8282214
Oh yeah Anon, I loved your fantasy novel "The Euphoria of Fedoria."

Stop talking like a autistic neckbeard and go back to reading your books if you are so patrician. Stop fucking around on lit.
>>
>>8281511

>I always had a passion for it but I never read
>>
>>8283237
>reading comprehension
I said I read enough already just want to focus properly on it and completely understand what I read.
>>
Find the book you want to read, look up if there's any pre-requisite readings or if the book heavily references something else and read that first (but unless you want hard philosophy you probably won't need to), then read your chosen book, then look up as many interpretations of it online as >>8283096 said, then look at author interview or non-fictions. If you're struggling with English, read the book in English first, noting all words that are new to you, and then read it again in a translation of your language to make sure you got the idea.

If you wanna replace video games, limit yourself to 1-2hr of gaming a day, and force yourself to read for 1-2hr daily till the habit sticks. I dunno what else you're expecting, though. T b h seems like you enjoy the idea of being a deep reader more than actually reading. Find a book you actually care to get to know deeply.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.