[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>about to pick up pic related >read blurb >"...novel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: EastOfEden.jpg (42 KB, 284x410) Image search: [Google]
EastOfEden.jpg
42 KB, 284x410
>about to pick up pic related
>read blurb
>"...novel follows the intertwined destinies of two families—the Trasks and the Hamiltons—whose generations helplessly reenact the fall of Adam and Eve and the poisonous rivalry of Cain and Abel."

Someone please explain the appeal of deliberately re-telling a story that's already been told.
>>
To give a unique perspective.
>>
Marketing meme blurbs very rarely reflect the actual book.
>>
>>8280767
On this principle, OP, youd have no more stories. Theres only seven plot lines for any fiction. We just retell them with different names and slight tweaks.
>>
>>8280767
Well the fall of Adam and eve was was told in less than 700 words and Cain and able in less than 350.

It's a far more elaborate story in novel form, and takes a unique perspective as anon above said.
>>
Is this worth reading?

I've seen the Elia Kazan film. I wasn't impressed.
>>
>>8280767
think its bretty gud
>>
>>8281385

it's excellent, my first introduction to literature besides hemingway when i was young. easily steinbeck's best.
>>
Every story has already essentially been told, OP. That's like saying why watch any tv show or movie because it will inevitably be about character conflict, good/evil, the nature of humor, or some other trite reductive explanation. We watch it for the perspective offered on these topics as well as communicated revelation of the tragic and unique elements of our nature.
>>
>>8281385
Film only covers about the last half and cuts a lot of characters, James Dean is its saving grace. It's a great book, definitely worth your time
>>
>>8280767

Every story after Shakespeare is a shitty re-telling of Shakespeare.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.