[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
two days ago I lost a word and it has been eating at me what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: fa3.gif (164 KB, 700x423) Image search: [Google]
fa3.gif
164 KB, 700x423
two days ago I lost a word and it has been eating at me

what is the word describing "the application of concerted physical force to a small area"

ideally something with physically penetrative connotations, like "prying" or "piercing"

maybe close to "concerted"

any help appreciated
>>
>>8280219
concentrated
>>
>>8280230
maybe that is it, I don't know

my problem is that I want to use concentrated or a word like it abstractly, to describe a multi-faceted approach to problem solving.

But when you use "concentrated" in the mental sense, it looses the connotations I find valuable

physically it describes a forceful and attempt to exert force on a small area

but mentally it's reduced to
"thinking hard about something"
"thinking about only one thing"
it becomes studious, methodical; instead of forceful and channeled
>>
Poke, bro.
>>
prod
>>
>>8280252
>>8280264
pokes and prods are all bumps of one kind or other
>>
>>8280249
contemplating?
condensing?
compacting?
>>
>>8280311
not really anon
>>
>>8280219
I lost one too.

A word or idiom for people who've just met but seem like they've been long pals. Or at least carrying on like it

It isn't fast friends
>>
>>8280352
"like old friends?"
>>
pinpointing?
>>
>>8280356
nah. I think it's two words, the first one maybe a proper noun

something like "Charleston chums"
>>
>>8280219
Spiking
Indenting
Chiseling
Punching
Gouging
>>
>>8280361
Bosom buddies?
>>
>>8280352
soulmates?

I don't like the word much but I think that's what it means

kindred spirits?
>>
I guess the three elements are
A. application of force
B. from multiple sources
C. directed at a small area
>>
>>8280393
Ummm...focalized poking?
>>
Convergence?

Why do you need just one word? Use a few.
>>
Prodding
>>
Needling?
>>
penetrating
>>
Pressure, compress, crush, encumbrance, shear, tension, thrust.
>>
pinching
>>
>>8280219
bearing down on?
concentrating?
>>
Perturbate?
>>
parsing
>>
Punch or jab?
>>
Baiting /lit/?
>>
>>8280219
Is the word 'strike'?

>>8281180
Maybe but it doesn't matter, it's cuck threads that we really have to worry about
>>
Schwerpunkt.

The word you're looking for is schwerpunkt - the focal point, point of maximum effort, where a decisive result can be achieved. The entire effort of an organisation towards a goal is to be organised around the schwerpunkt, or supporting operations organised around the schwerpunkt. Everything that you have is for the schwerpunkt.

It encompasses
1. force
2. from multiple sources
3. directed at a small area

In this case schwerpunkt refers to the actual area or point, but the schwerpunkprinzip could refer to the idea.

Bonus points because it's an uber obscure word for normies so you will look like the tops for using it.

Etymology: revolutionary German military theory in WW2 that has since become the crux that conventional warfare rotates around (though recently it's been superseded by CCCI).
>>
>>8281237
>schwerpunktprinzip*
>>
Spear?
Quintessence?
Converge?
Focalize?
Convene?
Fixate?
Concenter?
>>
P R E S S U R E
>>
Literally pressure.
>>
>>8280352
Frengers maybe? Not quite friends not quite strangers.
>>
It's coercion. I'm pretty sure the word you are looking for is coercion.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-16-09-41-53.png (297 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-16-09-41-53.png
297 KB, 1440x2560
>>8284457
It sounds like it,but the main meaning is not that one
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.