[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
High School Books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: nah.jpg (170 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
nah.jpg
170 KB, 1024x768
Hello /lit/
I'm prepping to start my first year teaching, and I need to arrange a list of summer reading books for the incoming high school freshmen. Do you have any recommendations? I don't want to do the generic ones like Animal Farm, because I know they won't read it. Are there any fun, somewhat shorter books for freshmen that you would recommend? preferably more recent ones.

(Also, not ones that have been made into movies)
>>
>>8279877
animorphs
>>
>>8279877
I think my favorite book in highschool was The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing. Hit my head too many times to remember anything else
>>
>>8279909
Oh yeah, Flowers for Algernon
>>
>>8279877
The Stars My Destination
The Haunting of Hill House
Flowers for Algernon
Cannery Row
>>
Finnegans wake
>>
tuesdays with morrie would be pretty popular with high school students I think
>>
Lolita
Tampa
Hogg
>>
Einstein's Dreams
The Things They Carried
The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates
Peace Like a River
The Virgin Suicides (it has a movie though)
>>
The Bean Trees
Grendel
Red Badge of Courage
Anthem
Fahrenheit's a good one, even if generic
Curious Case of the Dog in the Nighttime
If plays are an option: Elektra/Taming of the Shrew/Cyrano de Bergerac/Streetcar/Ghosts/The Cherry Orchard/The Crucible/Master Harold...and the Boys
>>
Homeless Bird
Touching Spirit Bear
>>
>>8279877
TCoL49, Underworld, the list could go on...
>>
They aren't going to read it anyway
>>
The Legacy of Totalitarianism in a Tundra
>>
>>8280582
>Anthem

Please don't teach this, OP. Disagreements with Rand's philosophy aside, that is an awful, awful work.
>>
>>8282609
Second this.
>>
>>8279877
Catcher in the rye, I can't imagine a hormonal teen disliking it. Still relevant today I think.
>>
Naked Lunch
>>
is it completely up to your judgement, or does your school have any required or "recommended" for you to include, and/or do they have veto power over your list?
>>
File: life101.jpg (13 KB, 222x322) Image search: [Google]
life101.jpg
13 KB, 222x322
Life 101
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.