[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: Roshar.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
Roshar.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1600
Cosmere Edition.

Recommendations:
>Fantasy
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg/
General: http://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: http://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Sci-Fi
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: http://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ http://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previous: >>8271072
>>
The old is new once more.
>>
I finally did the unthinkable and posted my short story on DeviantArt.
Could I post the link to its chapters here so you can give me some criticism? It's a very short and sweet fantasy story so it won't take much of your precious time.
Or post it chapter by chapter here? Or something.
>>
>>8278084
>DeviantArt
No sorry we don't like scum here. Reddit is where you want to go.
>>
>>8278084
Do as you please.
>>
>>8278084
Yeah post it. I can't imagine it's worse than the D&D crap I read when I was a kid, or the YA crap that makes everyone a millionaire because of how kids nowadays want to read about how the MC is special and important.
>>
>>8278084
Where was I supposed to post short stories though? It's is you, anon, who told me I should at least try to post them on DeviantArt so at the very least I'd maybe get some opinions about them
How am I supposed to improve if nobody will ever read them?

I'm sorry anon, but you are unreasonable.
>>
>several chapters into The Great Ordeal
>cucking
>shameful masturbating
>gay rape

all is proceeding as foreseen
>>
>>8278084
>DA

You could've just made a word press website like all the other faggots writing serializations/short stories online faggot. At least you didn't go to tumblr though.
>>
>>8278118
Agree, and because of that I'll just post a pastebin here.
Besides I'm a member on DA for many years and I see no reason why can't I use it. Like always, 4chan is unreasonable as fuck.
>>
>>8278097
If you want the approval of 4channers, you need to become as isolated and ineffective as possible.
>>
>>8278152
here goes nothing

http://pastebin.com/raw/p9wvevBH
>>
>>8278158
You used "she" eight fucking times in the first three sentences, and even used "she had" twice in the very same sentence. What are you doing?
>>
>>8278158
Pretty bad, but based on your writing you're something like 14 years old. Keep at it and you'll improve as your mature.
>>
>>8278185
I'm 32.
>>
Any good fantasy with a little girl protag?
Something like Mistborn, but doesn't have to be epic fantasy
>>
>>8278190
Orphans of Chaos
>>
>>8278190
Black Company is good, but she gets older after the first novel.
>>
>>8278190
Un Lun Dun
>>
>>8278158
I don't get it.
>>
File: Banner.png (782 KB, 412x670) Image search: [Google]
Banner.png
782 KB, 412x670
Please, without spoiling the story. I'm almost finishing it but I still haven't figured out who this banner belongs too.
>>
>>8278251
Have you upped your down and downed your up?
>>
Why can't feminist SFF become more mainstream?
>>
>>8278257
No point mocking me. English isn't even my 1st language.
>>
>>8278270
Hugo awards are to be given to minorities. Women are often white, and should not receive such awards.
>>
File: IMG_20160714_140201682[1].jpg (1 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160714_140201682[1].jpg
1 MB, 1920x2560
How the hell do i fix this? It's been like this since i've first opened it, and i wasn't even forceful with it.
>>
Top Fantasy Author Ranking:

1. George R.R. Martin
2. J.R.R. Tolkien
3. Karl Marx
4. J.K. Rowling
>>
>>8278172
Thanks. This is what I needed, someone to tell me how much my stuff sucks and also why.
I'll try to formulate the sentences better so I won't repeat the same words over and over again.
>>
>>8278309
Quilt the book ad leave it under a considerate amount of weight when you're not reading it.
>>
>>8278326
I do leave it under some weight when i'm not reading it, but it usually goes back to that every time i finish reading for the day.
>>
>>8278333
It's a shitty soft cover probably. Don't worry about it though.
>>
>>8278188
Try reading it out loud and seeing how it feels.
>>
>>8278251
They only show up near the end. Parshendi shardbearer woman that gets btfo by Kaladin and has a viewpoint in the next book.
>>
File: everythingisfine.webm (2 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
everythingisfine.webm
2 MB, 854x480
>grew up in a bookish homeschooling family
>six siblings
>tfw now they only read pop nonfiction, fanfiction, and Name of the Wind
>tfw the only member of my large family I can talk literature with is my mother
>>
>>8278364
You're replying to the wrong anon but I see what you mean. Would reading out loud improve my writing?

English is not my native language so reading anything is english sounds weird for me, but I'll try.
>>
File: catzz.jpg (29 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
catzz.jpg
29 KB, 640x640
>>8278366
I've read that part already. But aren't the banner and colors wrong?

Also, why does she have a spear instead of a sword?
>>
>>8278377
The armor is silver like in the book, I don't recall them having banners but it's probably the artist making things look exciting. I think there was a scene like that, though.

And it is a sword. Shardblades are huge.
>>
>>8278376
Reading out loud will definitely improve your writing, but if you're not familiar enough with English to know what sounds wrong out loud you're going to have a difficult time. I might even say find a Skype buddy that wants to learn your language.

What's your native language? Is there zero market for specfic in it?
>>
>>8278383
>And it is a sword

That is clearly a spear in the background.
>>
>>8278338
B-but you guys told me to go for Orb edition of BotNS, even if it's paperback!

Well shit.
>>
>>8278401
>/lit/ is one person

When will you learn?
>>
>>8278393
Yes. That's Kaladin in the background.
>>
>>8278409
Not him but that's not true.
This was what Sanderson had to said

Q: Who's that on the cover of Way of Kings?

A: It's Dalinar and Eshonai. Eshonai is the female Parshendi Shardbearer who fights Dalinar and Kaladin in Chapter 68. She also appears in an earlier chapter, where Dalinar sees her across a chasm. That scene is the one on the cover.
>>
What's the Gormenghast of SF?
>>
>>8278443
There isn't even a Gormenghast of fantasy.
>>
>>8278443

Gormenghast is more modernist than fantasy

Actually, how are the sequels and is Sark worth visiting if you're a fan of the novels? Always thought it was cool idea to make a pilgrimage out to the castle Gormenghast is based on.
>>
>>8278447
It's fantasy of manners. There's two types of fantasy, one being battles against goblin armies and the other battles against neighbors.
>>
>>8278495
Is Jane Austen fantasy?
>>
>>8278522
No but she's a major influence.
>>
>>8278391
I understand english enough for me to read everything in english and watch everything in english. There are times when I don't even remember the language I've read with, whether it's my native language or english or german or romanian (the main 3 foreign languages I speak)
My native language is japanese but I never speak it outside of my family and them alone (I'm studying abroad). I have no incentive of publishing in japan and I'll probably never get published anyway, but I do want to learn to write things that are worthwhile.
>>
>>8278190
Pratchett's one of the best writers of little girls desu

There's also authors like N.K. Jemisin and Canvarn who tend to use them
>>
>>8278536
There's a major gap between understanding a language and being able to compose in it. Get a lot of practice having conversations in English, keep a notebook where you write down interesting phrases you hear, try to be more aware of the nuances of what you're reading.

You're doing all right, though. Kind of a Murakami vibe.
>>
File: Cosmere.jpg (56 KB, 537x540) Image search: [Google]
Cosmere.jpg
56 KB, 537x540
>that feel when Uvarov is left to die in the dark, cold and alone
>that feel when you will never insert your penis into the vaginal orifice of Spinner-of-Rope
Otherwise, Ring was a nice book. My favorite part was anything involving hyperdrive flight.
>>
>>8278536
If you want to write things that are worthwhile, why are you writing in an escapist genre?
>>
>>8278045
add hamilton stuff to modern sci fi (commonwealth saga, void trilogy)
>>
>>8278579
>living in a prison
>criticizing escapists
>>
>>8278324
it's not just about avoiding repetition of the same words (I know that's what english teachers teach, but english teachers are retards who wouldn't teach english if they had an actual understanding of this stuff).

Repeating the same words is just a symptom of several possible issues. For example, whatever you're writing might not be concise enough so you end up unintentionally repeating a lot of the same information. In that case there's probably a way to cut WAY down on the word count without losing meaning.
>>
>>8278536
こんばんは、はじめまして!なぜ日本語がマイン言葉じゃないですか?って。。。まさか、日本が嫌いですか?
>>
>>8278579
Because I like it. I earn nothing out of it except the pleasure of writing. I don't write to educate people or show everyone else how many allusions to the classics can I drop per page.
All I want is for others to share this sort of pleasure because too many take writing (and reading) as something pretentious and an utterly high brow activity that should not be tackled by the uninitiated.
I may be too naive and I accept it.
>>
Really enjoyed dying earth series.
can you recommend me anything else from Jack ?
Sci or fantasy doesn't matter.
preferably a single novel rather then series
>>
>>8278627
Do you one better, Dragon Masters is a novella.
>>
>>8278627
It's a series but read Lyonesse.
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/4stya7/is_good_good_enough_marketings_effect_on_what_we/

This post triggered me beyond belief. Despite all the shitposting here, I'm glad to have you guys. Feminists and SJW are honestly outright disgusting.
>>
>>8278672
What the fuck does SJW and feminists have to do with that link?

All that is marketing 101 and has been used since marketing began.
Stop using buzzwords to try and fit in on an anonymous chinese frogposting and memes board.
>>
File: TheWayOfKings.png (233 KB, 232x352) Image search: [Google]
TheWayOfKings.png
233 KB, 232x352
What an amazing journey this book has been. I'm so glad I picked it up, even though my native language is not English. I had too re-read some pages now and then. But WOW, I owe you one /sff/.

One of the best (if not the best) fantasy books I've ever read.
>>
>This world is bread
>And I'm the goddamn bakery

10/10 Bakker-san
>>
>>8278707

Every time I'm tempted to start reading this guy, somebody posts an excerpt here and it's always, ALWAYS shit.
>>
>>8278704
Try to skim past the first paragraph.
>>
>>8278755
Lol his prose has actually improved with this latest work. Very surprising treat.
>>
>>8278672
>but the bottom line is how marketing has effected what is visible.
Stopped reading there.
>>
Hey familia, not being my usual genres, I was with the need to start a sci-fi reading initiation, one of which having strong scientific groundings - I bet you guys call it 'heavy' or 'strong' - and density. Wandering within memes, I came across these two authors: Stephen Baxter and Alastair Reynolds, are they part of this category? Moreover, I'd like some recommendations; having in mind that I possess some decent science/phys knowledge - being a stemlord.
>>
>>8278672
I thought that it was a fairly reasonable post vis-a-vis female authors. Then she lost me at Canadians/Indians/POCs.
>>
Hello, everyone. I've always been a fantasy person, but I've become increasingly interested in sci-fi. However, I'm just not interested in far future technology or cyberpunk/dystopian world with machinery and guns. I tried reading Dune because of its ecological elements (a study of mine), but for some reason I just could not get past the first few chapters. Maybe it's just me? Anyway, I'm wondering if all Sci-fi is based in subjects such as A.I., future wars, economics, space and so forth? Although I'm deeply interested in science in general, my area is literally more down to earth with biology/ecology and other related fields. Are there stories about this sort of thing? Ecological themes? Gene experiments? Flora and fauna?

Thanks. I hope this makes sense.
>>
>>8278844
Never Let Me Go by Ishiguro
>>
File: mb01_symbols-webres.jpg (66 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
mb01_symbols-webres.jpg
66 KB, 750x500
>>8278706
>if not the best
>forgetting the entire middle slog through the horrible pacing
It's not even the best novel by the author, you filthy darkeyes.
>>
>>8278870

>Mistborn better than WoK

Shardkill your shardself.
>>
File: 1394323149041.png (127 KB, 257x250) Image search: [Google]
1394323149041.png
127 KB, 257x250
>>8278870
>mfw I'm a light eyes
>mfw when Mistborn was boring as fuck
>>
>>8278876
>>8278882
Where did I say Mistborn was better?
>darkeyes and their reading comprehension
>>
>>8278870
>entire middle slog through the horrible pacing

So, you're actually talking about "The Final Empire" right?
>>
File: Red_Mars.jpg (113 KB, 602x1018) Image search: [Google]
Red_Mars.jpg
113 KB, 602x1018
>>8278844
This should be relevant to your interests.
>>
>>8278889
>can't read "lighteyes"
>comprehension
>>
File: elantris_map_10yr_color_ebook.jpg (932 KB, 2323x1721) Image search: [Google]
elantris_map_10yr_color_ebook.jpg
932 KB, 2323x1721
>>8278889
>forgot to upload an image
>me and my consistency
AHHHHH
IT'S INFECTIOUS

I'd say some of the Mistborn novels are better than WoK purely due to shorter length since WoA and HoA had strong pacing issues too. At least pacing in Mistborn seems to be better in Era 2. I don't actually know what I'd personally consider the best Sanderson book, though, but it sure isn't tWoK.

>>8278894
Nah, WoK does have serious pacing problems, even acknowledged by the Mormon Overlord himself.

>>8278897
>darkeyes lying over the internet
Kaladin is a lighteyes too. :-)
>>
Any good soft SciFi recommendations in a non-space / opera setting and instead integrated in more contemporary societies? Basically, not books like Dune/Foundation but more like Shades of Grey by Fforde.
>>
>>8278901
A foolish hobgoblin dwells within the small consistency of mind.
>>
>>8278901
>Nah, WoK does have serious pacing problems, even acknowledged by the Mormon Overlord himself.
I read it in 2011, but I thought it was fine. Even Dalinar "Woe is me! A milf desperately wants my cock" Kholin was interesting to read because of the dynamics of his family and the politics.
>>
>>8278876
The first mistborn book is the best Sanderson I've read, second didn't hook me

Stormlight as a series is just way too fucking long for the story it's trying to tell. If you're able to delay a reveal for over 400 pages you're almost certainly being too indulgent.
>>
>>8278045
>Never Let Me Go
Is this a fucking troll list?
>>
>>8278755
Everytime I go to read Bakker I look up his series on wiki to get the titles to pirate and then read this

>This trilogy details the emergence of Anasûrimbor Kellhus, a brilliant monastic warrior, as he takes control of a holy war and the hearts and minds of its leaders. Kellhus exhibits incredible powers of prediction and persuasion, which are derived from deep knowledge of rationality, cognitive biases, and causality, as discovered by the Dûnyain, a secret monastic sect. As Kellhus goes from military leader to divine prophet, Drusas Achamian, the sorcerer who mentored Kellhus, comes to realize that his student may well be the harbinger of the Second Apocalypse.

That summary makes it sound like the worst shit
>>
>>8278844
>Are there stories about this sort of thing? Ecological themes? Gene experiments? Flora and fauna?
Look up J.G. Ballard, he's primarily concerned about society and dysfunction in all of his writing but his Scifi tends to center around ecological disasters

I have no idea what they're like but Southern Reach Trilogy is all about an unexplored jungle IIRC, so try that
>>
>>8278570
Ring was incredible. I have a feeling you imagine Spinner more like a loli than an actual pygmy like she's described though. Anyway, Stephen Baxter's stuff doesn't get anywhere near enough love. His Manifold books are great too.
>>
>>8278962
Wahh the scifi list has some decent prose in it waah
>>
>>8278895
At first I thought "oh, he didn't actually read my post and has just linked some random space story" but I was wrong. This looks very interesting indeed. Whilst I'm not as interested in space as I am about what we have here on planet Earth, the idea of terraforming is great and there seems to be many facets to this trilogy form what I'm reading, including ecological.

I don't mind saying I'm almost completely new to sci-fi. The only book I ever picked up that is of the genre, as I said, was Dune. I have a question though: is all sci-fi set in the future? Is that a defining feature of the genre? I realise that it has to be set in the future in order to explore ideas, but surely there are also near future or even present day stories? For example, surely a scientific expedition to an island to research for flora would be considered science fiction? Or is that something else. Just curious.

I'll look further into Red Mars!
>>
>>8278979
Cheers for these recommendations. Will have a look.
>>
>>8278965

This Kellhus guy sounds like a colossal Mary Sue.
>>
>>8278930
>tfw getting buried by long paragraph posts
>>
>>8278965
>Anasûrimbor Kellhus
Vintage fantasy name that is simultaneously unpronounceable without a guide and very similar to a real world

Hate that shit
>>
File: 1394392188325.png (50 KB, 163x170) Image search: [Google]
1394392188325.png
50 KB, 163x170
>>8278901
You must have a really fucked up complex about having brown eyes.
>>
>>8279029
Do people really pronounce stuff? I just think of the letter combination of a name as a picture, rather than a sound.
>>
>>8278844
You could look into "blindsight" by Peter Watts it touches alot of very interesting topics including human consciousness and alien life.
The author also has a PhD in biology which shows throughout the book.

You can download a epub/PDF directly from the authors website.
>>
>>8279040
First time yeah, I pronounce everything strange in my head before then reading it automatically from then on.
So if it's a word with no clear pronunciation it slows me down, also stuff like quay always fucks me up

Downside of not pronouncing words lead to me legitimately thinking Jack Kerouac wrote a crappy novel called Dharma Burns
>>
>>8279029
Just sound it out dude...i got it without even needing to hear it officially
>>
>>8279002
SciFi and Fantasy have a huge overlap. A majority of SciFi is just Fantasy type stories in a space setting. HardSF is distinct in it's extrapolation of an idea's effect on society and the environment. A futuristic setting is easiest for these kind of stories as an author can get away with much less research, but it isn't required. Most of The Boat of a Million Years takes place in historic times to explore the theme of immortality (though they get to space eventually).
>For example, surely a scientific expedition to an island to research for flora would be considered science fiction?
It would be Science Fiction if, for example, the focus was on distinct characteristic of the flora and how they affected everything else in the area.
>>
>>8279040
>Do people really pronounce stuff?
Yes?
Cherryh's consonant heavy alien languages can be painful at times.
>>
tfw you really need a shit but you forgot to put a book on your ereader but you want it to read before you poop

Also what do you guys think of Hyperion, don't want to spoil myself with reading too much description of it
>>
>>8279051
>The author also has a PhD in biology which shows throughout the book.
You're right about that. It certainly does...
>>
>>8279051
>The author also has a PhD in biology which shows throughout the book.
Is this a subtle way of saying he can't write?
>>
Anyone else really struggle to carry on reading once they get to a point where a character is doing something that the reader knows is dumb?

Had this issue with multiple fantasy books now, I know peril and plot have to be created but cmon
>>
>>8279002
Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle is actually science fiction set in the 1600s, exploring the effect of that technology on the people in that era.

But yes, there are thousands and thousands of present-day science fiction books. You have probably watched movie adaptations of several.
>>
Alright

Everyone knows it's a shitty cliche when the protagonist turns out to be the best at everything ever (see name of the wind)
But which series would you say has used said cliche the best?

I liked the way Blood Song did it when Vaelin was being revealed to be great at everything because it was always about what he had to sacrifice for that gain but the series lost that dynamic in the sequels
>>
>>8279181
Actually no.
I think the writing is good but it also kinda unique.
It is really hard to describe how he accomplished it but throughout the book it really felt believable (I really have no better word).

Also the characters and their dynamics are very well done and none of them feel really human (which is a good thing).
>>
>>8278870
lol mistborn was as mediocre as hell. way of kings series is way better.
>>
>>8278800
They're both good, Greg Egan is probably the "hardest" SF writer currently
>>
>>8279233
It's the direct opposite of what you're asking but Goodkind has to be the worst

His books are almost worth reading as comedy for how strong and perfect the protagonist is, especially because it's coupled with really ham fisted politics forced in
>>
Anyone read Night's Dawn?
>>
>>8279245
According to the market he's one of the best. Readers want to read his books, and publishers want to publish them.
>>
>>8279264
He came in at the right time, just as there was a huge demand for massive fantasy series

Using sales as an argument for quality is absolute folly, that's never been the case for literature of any sort
>>
>>8278321
Wrong thread fagget
>>8277415
>>
>>8279264
>According to the market
According to the market a book of quotes from the "Duck Dynasty" guy is better than anything in this thread. The market is stupid.
>>
File: 1468531845768.png (6 KB, 377x330) Image search: [Google]
1468531845768.png
6 KB, 377x330
>>8278707
>mfw buttrape out of nowhere

This latest installment is turning out pretty good desu.
>>
>>8279287
The market is not smart, or stupid. It merely is.
>>
>>8278321
But Marx is a religious author.
>>
File: tabugcu.png (816 KB, 1080x1437) Image search: [Google]
tabugcu.png
816 KB, 1080x1437
Does everything in Hyperion get wrapped up in the sequal? The book feels incredibly unfinished.

And should I bother with Endymion?
>>
>>8279318
>Does everything in Hyperion get wrapped up in the sequal?

Yes.

>And should I bother with Endymion?

Fuck no.
>>
>>8278190
David Gemmell's Hawk Queen series.
>>
File: STARSPAWN LP.jpg (688 KB, 3697x3671) Image search: [Google]
STARSPAWN LP.jpg
688 KB, 3697x3671
Why sci-fi novels would you recommend based on pic related?
>>
Any good soft SciFi recommendations in a non-space / opera setting and instead integrated in more contemporary societies? Basically, not books like Dune/Foundation but more like Shades of Grey by Fforde.
>>
>>8279002
>present day
do you meant present day as in "now" or "back then when the book was written". Because there are loads of books set in our "present day" or at least how they imagined it to be back then

>Dune
if you give ANY shit about things like:

dialogue
believable characters
pacing
showing, not telling
prose

you shouldnt read Dune. Its the epitome of "epicness" where the world and its scope is quite literally the only thing it has going for it. I read the first book and I couldnt wait to finish it, just to be sure that my first impression was right -- and it was, the book is pure shite if you're looking for other things in books than TV shows in written form.

tripe
>>
>>8279456
forgot to add

herbert is another one of those dinosaurs that keeps getting brought up despite being subpar in almost every way

the only thing he has going for him are a few strong female characters that unfortunately overshadowed by his creepy old man sexism
>>
>>8279539
Hi tumblr
>>
>>8278185
Post your story so we can judge you. Let's see if you can do better
>>
>>8279539

The worst thing that ever happened to culture is when people who couldn't read anything better than genre fiction discovered identity politics. These self-righteous ticks are the LaRouche Movement of literary discussion.
>>
>>8279576
>You're no better than the average teenager writing fanfiction

I wish I had more ideas to actively write instead of maybe two things per month
>>
File: Riftwar.jpg (24 KB, 400x169) Image search: [Google]
Riftwar.jpg
24 KB, 400x169
Is the Riftwar Cycle series good? Is it too long? Is it better than wheel of time? Does it have a good payoff for the amount of books?
>>
>>8279576
Not how it works dipshit

If you ask for criticism you take your criticism, even if it's just insult, learn from it, and get better.
The moment you go on the defensive you're giving up all hope of improving

That poster may have been harsh but they're also accurate, the simple sentences, repetition of words and nonsense capitalisation of random words are all major issues

Also there's basic spelling mistakes that really should have been ironed out before seeking external criticism
>When one does not eat for prolonged periods of time, one will fell no hunger
>fell
Even google chrome's autocorrect is picking up on that
And here
>The lives of men and women and truly, her own life grew less significant as she approached the top
That's just a total mess of a sentence, you've got commas in the wrong place and even with that sorted it'll read awkwardly because of word choice

Linking your post just in case it's someone else whining
>>8278158

>>8279607
Nah they've been fine, people bothered about identity has lead to us getting fiction focusing on areas that weren't covered before. Even if you don't give a shit about representation that's good because it gives the reader more variety in their fiction

However the rightwing response of shitting up the Hugo awards truly hasn't contributed anything
>>
>>8279609
Riftwar and Serpentwar are fun. Maybe a bit generic. Haven't read the newer ones or Wheel of Time.
>>
>>8279609
Empire trilogy is excellent and the Magician one is quite good too
Haven't read much beyond that.

At the very least it's the best example of a D&D campaign converted into a fantasy series, shits all over Malazan
>>
>>8279615
>Even if you don't give a shit about representation that's good because it gives the reader more variety in their fiction
That would be nice if they were actually more varied and not cardboard cutouts of the author except with a more exotic name.
>How do I write an [X] character?
>The same way you'd write any character! They're just people, bigot!
That's, no joke, how they think.
>>
File: 1444511821766.jpg (105 KB, 720x438) Image search: [Google]
1444511821766.jpg
105 KB, 720x438
>>8278672
>unironically using the word triggered and browsing reddit
GO BACK TO YOUR HUGBOX
>>
>>8279635
the reddit fantasy is a pretty efficient way of finding out about a bunch of newer fantasy books
I skim over it when I run out of stuff to read, here conversation is very much geared toward known stuff

It's dogshit for discussion though.
>>
>>8278844
I'm seconding the recommendation of Red Mars, and the Mars Trilogy in general. It sounds like they're exactly what you're looking for.
>>
>>8278800
Baxter and Reynolds are two excellent examples of hard sci-fi. They just finished a collaboration novel by the way.
>>
>>8278158
Fuck my eyes
>>
>>8278800
Quantum Thief. Neal Stephenson's new shit.
>>
>>8279790
Hey, I was just reading Fractal Prince.
>tfw a city in the shards of a colony drop
This is the best worldbuilding I've read since John C. Wright.
>>
Reading The Way of Kings. When does Shallan chapters get good? I just want to read more about Kaladin on Bridge Four.
>>
>>8279807
>When does Shallan chapters get good

They don't particularly
>>
>>8279807
Female POVs in fantasy books are never good.

It's a fundamental law.
>>
>>8279804
I did find it all frustratingly short which is a rarity for me. If ever I really wanted an hypothetical environment to be more fully developed it was this.
>>
>>8279807
I hated her chapters at first but they were tolerable after a while.
>>
>>8279807
>When does Shallan chapters get good?
Words of Radiance.
>>
>>8279813
I'd give Brian Stavely's Gwenna character a shill but Adare redressed the balance.
>>
File: 1466898001355.jpg (124 KB, 831x639) Image search: [Google]
1466898001355.jpg
124 KB, 831x639
>>8279807
AHAHAHAHAH

Those were exactly my thoughts! Don't worry too much.
Just grind to the 1st half and after that, the story will pick up.
>>
File: flowmytears.jpg (40 KB, 298x500) Image search: [Google]
flowmytears.jpg
40 KB, 298x500
Pic related is the best PKD novel I've read to date, out of Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep, and Man In The High Castle. A popular actor loses his fame and ID cards overnight, in a fascist police state. A brisk and largely dialogue-driven look at perception/reality, paranoia, fear and loss.

Next is either UBIK or Galactic Pot Healer, after something by a different author to cleanse the palate.
>>
>>8279807
The book'd be a billion times better if it was just Kaladin

You're about 1000 pages away from him doing anything btw

Shallan gets better in the second book but none of the other povs do
>>
>>8279813
Cithrin has the best chapters in Dagger and Coin
High stakes banking can be really gripping.

Y'know what's literally never good though? Villain's POV
>>
>>8279824
Still the second book opens with Adare deciding to be retarded just to create conflict
>>
File: cry.jpg (210 KB, 600x583) Image search: [Google]
cry.jpg
210 KB, 600x583
Some one told me there would be sex in the Way of Kings.

Fucking liars.
>>
>>8279904
>actually trying to shill Daniel "fucking put me ro sleep" Abraham
Kys
>>
>>8279928
That's the latest mistborn books, and it was only implied
>>
>>8279930
I thought the Milf would fuck Dalinar in TWOK
>>
>>8279942
too much of a boring old cunt
>>
About to start on Bakker finally. wtf am I in for?
>>
>>8279040
>going through Asimov's works with audiobooks
>Robots trilogy has been recently recorded, narrator pronunces Gladia as "Gleh-dah-eeah"
>Robots and Empire doesn't have a newer version, apparently, so i'm stuck with an audiobook with shitty quality, and the narrator pronounces Gladia as "Glah-deeah"

I was upset.
>>
>>8279928
You do realise that he's a mormon right? Even if there was sex it'd be badly written

>>8279952
edge and misery with the occasional hilariously bad turn of phrase

oh and all the gri
>>
>>8279928
>>8279942
There is. She does. Nobody told you there were depictions of sex, because Sanderson is not a voyeur. He does not, for your pleasure, bring the camera of his pen into a room where two old people are doing it. How hard can that be to understand?
>>
>>8279954
older version would be correct
>>
>>8279958
When? I've literally read 98% of the book by now.
>>
>>8279971
At some point between the time Dalinar decides she's a woman and his wife's dead and the point where he punches the king in the face and tells him he's sleeping with his mother. At no point is there a scene where they're in bed together or a description of Dalinar's pulsating member. It HAPPENS in the story but is not DEPICTED.
>>
>>8279964
I know, it was just my autism getting riled after 25 hours of hearing Glehdaeeah.
>>
File: 1427059759354.jpg (48 KB, 355x400) Image search: [Google]
1427059759354.jpg
48 KB, 355x400
>>8279979
Literally:
F U C K O F F
U
C
K
O
F
F
>>
>>8279952
A book based heavily on history written by someone who has little to no knowledge of it
>>
>>8279955
>>8279987
So should I save myself the fucking hours here or what?
>>
>>8279984
>my lack of reading comprehension is someone else's fault
>>
>>8279233
my autobiography
>>
>>8279993
Eh read it and see if you like it

I just wouldn't prioritise it if you've got other options
>>
>>8279979
Refresh my memory here. What was the deal with Dalinar not being able to hear his dead wife's name?
>>
File: artie.jpg (13 KB, 325x265) Image search: [Google]
artie.jpg
13 KB, 325x265
>>8279997
>I'm courting your mother
>They're having an orgy

No, seriously. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>8279233
Big Trouble in Little China
>>
>>8279997
Not that guy but there's other ways of letting people know someone fucked than writing out the scene, like dialogue or a single line of narration, or anything.
>>
>>8280005
The thingamabob in the mountains that grants wishes but takes something back

He got some wish granted but it took his memories of his wife
>>
>>8279609
It's decent, Magician and Talon of the Silver Hawk were arguably the ones I remember the most.
>>
>>8280004
this or City of Blades or back to non-fiction

Up to date or finished anything else I give a shit about fantasy-wise.
>>
>>8280006
Why are you this angry about implied intercourse in a fantasy novel? How empty is your life that you would rage on the Internet about a novel being free of pornography?
>>
>>8280014
Ah yeah. Did it say what the wish was?
>>
>>8280022
I might have made this up but I think he wanted to get over his grief from losing her

Although I'm half expecting it to turn out that he wished to save her and she's alive but he doesn't know
>>
>>8280021
I was genuinely curious to see if Sanderson changed anything from Mistborn. Not really mad, just disappointed that some of you think that the phrase "I'm courting your mother" implied people are fucking. What a wild imagination.
>>
>>8280032
I can't remember either. I'm half-sure we know what his wish was but I just can't place it. It was after she was dead, maybe something about his family?
>>
>>8280034
There's other subtext, retard.
>>
>>8280038
>There's other subtext

Where? I must clearly be a retard for missing it.
>>
>spend so long looking for a new series to read it's too late to read by the time I find one
>>
Anyone read The Steel Remains? By the altered carbon guy?
Any good?
>>
How's the great ordeal going for you Bakkerbros?

>yfw Koringus grasps the Zero-God
>yfw The Tall
>yfw the Inchoroi nuke
>"Serwe burns in hell"
>Saubon looking back at the exact moment of his damnation

Best book in the series yet.
>>
>>8280072
>Best book in the series yet.
wow what an amazing achievement
>>
>>8280061
Yea, read it as they were written so a bit hazy on the 1st by now.

The series is edge to the max but Morgan somehow gets away with it more so than most in terms of authenticity.

Had some great ideas with the setting and the three leads for the most past well drawn.
>>
>>8280077

It's the best fantasy series ever.
>>
>>8279388
Stephen Baxter's Time Tapestry series is pretty good, same as Coalescent and Trascendent.
>>
File: 1394391754549.jpg (28 KB, 483x441) Image search: [Google]
1394391754549.jpg
28 KB, 483x441
>>8280082
Have you read all fantasy series? HOLY FUCKING SHIT
>>
>>8280082
I applaud the enthusiasm, but you do realize that C. J. Cherryh has penned a few fantasy volumes?
>>
>>8279952

grimdark
sodomy
forced sodomy
rape
murder
nonconsensual NTR
elfdwarves
regular NTR
incest
step-sibling incest
simultaneous murderrape
human devolution
hell
cuckoldry
>>
>>8280122
You fogot drug-use, by the way, do we find out what happens to a babby whose mother has been hopped up non-stop on Qirri since before the birth? Also, is there any end to the addiction or does it fuck you forever?
>>
>>8280061
It's gay. Literally gay. Like extremely butt-fucking gay. If that excites you then go ahead and read it.
>>
>>8280175
Beyond being subversion for the sake of it it's actually incidental and the scenes such as they are, skippable.
>>
File: 1468259724385.jpg (29 KB, 496x379) Image search: [Google]
1468259724385.jpg
29 KB, 496x379
>"So good, so smooth, but"(though we had coupled before) "wouldn't i be too small for it?"

So not only does Severian attracts every woman who faces him and doesn't give two shits about most of the things around him most of the time, while being autistic and having trained on how to take down people thanks to his training as a torturer, he also has a big dick.

I know i'm missing a lot of subtext apparently, but at face value, it seems like i'm reading the memoirs of a(apparently succesful) fedora tipper.
>>
File: 1450167112511.png (252 KB, 511x428) Image search: [Google]
1450167112511.png
252 KB, 511x428
>>8278045
>About to write a Dark Urban fantasy novel
How are my odds /Lit/?
>>
>>8278984
Nah, not into /l/. All about the glasses and that attitude.

Does anything he have rival Ring? Was the recent short story compilation any good?

>>8278936
It was mainly the bit with Bridge Four. Apparently, Brandon said it was because it took so goddamn long for Kaladin to go through his shit.

>>8279807
>When does Shallan chapters get good?
Last ~2 of tWoK, some of WoR.

>>8279813
SABRIEL

>>8279930
>you will never fuck prime tight kandra pussy

Also, I wish A.A. Attanasio got discussed ever.
>>
>>8280262

Depends. Just don't fall into the YA pit and it mite b gud.
What's the pitch, if you're comfortable sharing?
>>
>>8280262
Good if you pander to the retarded YA crowd. You really need to hurry, though, I think that ship might be about to sail for good.
>>
>>8280262
I do think there's a gap for something genuinely adult along those lines. Magicians maybe in places almost could've developed into this, subtracting the Fillory and Brakebills shit.
>>
>>8280275
>search his last name in archives
>I'm the only person to even mention him in like three years
woe

P.S. Dalinar fucked Navani raw.
>>
>>8280175
BLOOD AND THUNDER!
VICTORY AT SEA!
>>
Is Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb any good? I just got it out from the library and was wondering if I should read it.
>>
>>8280246
Severian is dumb as shit, he falters into most of his success, and that's few and far between. No one wants to be Severian, he has it quite shit.
>>
>>8280289
>wildly original and terribly confusing
Attanasio looks like my kind of author, I'll check him out.
>>
>>8280246
Just a narccisist
>>
>>8279040
I do exactly what you describe for names. I never pronounce them, i just associate the letters with an image.
>>
File: twok_map-5_kharbranth-webres.jpg (348 KB, 1200x795) Image search: [Google]
twok_map-5_kharbranth-webres.jpg
348 KB, 1200x795
>>8280363
It's definitely an adventure.
>>
>>8280365
>tfw you use a word out loud you've only ever read and it sounds weird
>>
>>8279615
You're replying to the wrong anon again, anon.
I take criticism with grace and I asked for harsh criticism in the first place. But thanks for the interest anyway. It seems that the most glaring problem that most people complained about is the repetitive use of certain words and the structure of my sentences.
I'll try to improve on that
>>
Which trilogy out of Moorcock's Eternal Champion sequence would you say worth reading the most?
>>
>>8280276
>Depends. Just don't fall into the YA pit and it mite b gud.
>What's the pitch, if you're comfortable sharing?

I thought of making a deconstruction of paranormal YA in general. You know? Like the first half of the novel being cliche ridden no different than all the others. So I can lure the readers in a false sense of security. Then the second half comes and shows the realistic consequences of their actions and how they poorly handle the entire situation, leading to their deaths.

Something along those lines. I'm omitting a few tidbits
>>
>>8280433
probably the Chroncicles of Castle Brass
>>
>>8280444

Midway tone changes are usually a pretty shit idea. People who enjoy the first half will hate the second half and people who'd enjoy the second half won't bother reading.
You'd have to foreshadow it pretty heavily in order to keep people's attention, but that would ruin your 'twist'. Basically you have to remember that when you engage the reader in your story you're essentially promising them what your story will be about. Not fulfilling promises isn't cool or subversive or edgy, its just bad writing.
Why not just have it realistic the whole way through?
>>
>>8280488
>Midway tone changes are usually a pretty shit idea.
Sorry. I think I worded it wrong, I was going to have a transitional section, with each character having the creeping realization on what they sign up for and how they weren't prepared enough.

>You'd have to foreshadow it pretty heavily in order to keep people's attention, but that would ruin your 'twist'.
The foreshadow is going to subtle, like asking the main characters aren't they a little young for the mission or wondering where is the Master/Leader of there group.

>Why not just have it realistic the whole way through?
Very tempted to be honest.
>>
>>8280343
no
>>
>>8278979
Southern Reach Trilogy is amazing. The writing style is so goddamn eerie.
>>
>>8280343

I personally loved it, a real page turner that one!
>>
Recommend me a fantasy story with the cutest female MC.
>>
>>8280750
Alice in Wonderland
>>
>>8280750
Alice in Zombieland
>>
>>8280750

Malazan

Sorry
And of course Tattersail Reborn
>>
>>8280750
Northhanger Abbey
>>
What is some recommended Lovecraft that isn't Call of Cthulu? I want to read his other works, I'm only familiar with Call and The Temple. Should I just pick any other of his stories and go for it?
>>
>>8280805
The Cats of Ulthar and The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath.
>>
>>8280805
Colour from Outer Space was the only one I legitimately found scary
>>
>>8279807
>>8279821
This. Shallan annoyed me in the first book, but in the second book she became fleshed out enough and got enough agency herself to change my opinion. She's probably the most three dimensional character in that series.
>>
>>8280061
Pretty good, I felt like it never reached it's full potential though. Make sure you read all 3 Kovacs books first.
>>
>>8279380
The Revolutions by Felix Gilman
>>
>>8279233
Prince of Nothing.

Not even memeing.
>>
>>8279029
This shit is why I initially dropped The Darkness That Comes Before after about 20 pages; he kept introducing one infuriatingly stupid name after another, seemingly a new one on each page.
It was years before I finally read the book on a friend's recommendation. Not a terrible series, but authors really shouldn't do this.
>>
I just finished Leviathan Wakes, the first book in the expanse. I really enjoyed it, does the rest of the series hold up to that standard?
>>
>>8280941
Thats really when he's getting used to writing the story, can be hard for some I agree

His writing has improved much over time, especially in this recent one
>>
>>8280949
Yeah
>>
>it's fantasy but also set in the real world
>but not really
fuck off miles cameron
>>
How do we fix female authors?
>>
>>8281112
Rape
>>
>>8280289
>fucking your sister in law
>>
File: Not Approved.jpg (491 KB, 1600x1137) Image search: [Google]
Not Approved.jpg
491 KB, 1600x1137
>>8280969
>>
>>8281219
Why do you post this?
>>
>>8281219
Does this mean that it's not approved because it has gri or not approved because it doesn't have gri?

I'm confused
>>
>>8280969
>You reenact both medieval fighting and aspects of day-to-day life, right?

>It’s true–I’m an avid practitioner of so called ‘Western Martial Arts’ and I fight with a long sword all the time. I wear the clothes, even in the woods–in the Wild, as I think of it. My friends and I go out into the Adirondacks for a week at a time, camping, traveling, shooting bows–and cooking and sleeping and bathing and washing laundry and singing songs–all of which are as close to the way things were done in the late middle ages as we can manage.

http://www.orbitbooks.net/interview/miles-cameron/

2bh I like the setting.
>>
>>8281250
What a tosser
>>
>>8281250
why are reenactors always from the american continent?

It's not even their history
>>
>>8278987
Not him, but NLMG doesn't have decent anything.
>>
File: 1414400956181.jpg (9 KB, 420x316) Image search: [Google]
1414400956181.jpg
9 KB, 420x316
>>8281250
>bathing and washing laundry and singing songs

>>8281267
You forget the HEMA fags in Europe, playing with their swords.
>>
File: 26367085.jpg (114 KB, 312x475) Image search: [Google]
26367085.jpg
114 KB, 312x475
Not massively keen on this cover.
>>
>>8281331
All Gollancz covers look crappy, they just don't have an art department
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.