[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's scary how much I identify with this book
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7
File: 1440191057924.jpg (279 KB, 744x1138) Image search: [Google]
1440191057924.jpg
279 KB, 744x1138
>>
Mom's gonna freak!
>>
so what do you guys think of the book? i'm reading it right now. i loved the movie and i'm loving this one.

this is actually the first book i'm reading in the lit starter kit, next one is 1984.
>>
>>8277624
you're such a psychopath! xdxdxd
>>
>>8277624
>>8277652

I think that /lit/ autists don't like it because they think the book is just a bunch of edgy crap because of how graphic it is.

I think /b/ autists like it because of how much they think they identify with Bateman and enjoy being self diagnosing faggots on wikipedia.

I like it because it's a satirical critique of obscene consumerism, the yuppie culture (not just of the 80's but can be applied to modern times too) and has strong themes of class warfare as well as subtle anti capitalist sentiments. .
>>
>>8277624
well it isn't your grandmother's literature that's for sure!
>>
Whenever someone says they identify with American Psycho or books similar to it unironically, I assume they're try-hard edge lords from hardcore team teen-meme.
>>
>>8277807

I agree with this. I like the book. But identifying with Bateman is just silly.
>>
>>8277818
>>8277807
>>8277799
>>8277792
>>8277654
>>8277652
>>8277630
>>8277624

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nppUl3dBpaM
>>
File: 1267991464813.jpg (478 KB, 1395x983) Image search: [Google]
1267991464813.jpg
478 KB, 1395x983
>>8277792
>I like it because it's a satirical critique of obscene consumerism
This. I haven't even read it but I listened intently to unintelligent friends who read it ramble on and gained a greater sense of theme and direction from their shocked and enthusiastic opinions/descriptions than they, the readers, did.

I know most of the plot and I doubt the writing style is unique or impactful enough to justify reading it after so many spoilers to the plot, am I wrong?
>>
File: Capture1.png (102 KB, 570x264) Image search: [Google]
Capture1.png
102 KB, 570x264
>>8277865

The writing style isn't really unique, but I would still say it's worth a read. It has a lot of comedic bits I enjoyed. Pic related.
>>
>>8277818
Why?
>>
>>8277975

Because he's not really the type of character people can relate to. He is the type of character edgy people *want* to relate to but it's pathetic how they fail to. When they say they are like him, it just makes me cringe.
>>
File: 3takes.png (70 KB, 236x203) Image search: [Google]
3takes.png
70 KB, 236x203
>>8277792
>subtle anti capitalist sentiments
>subtle
>>
>>8278047

Yes. It's not like anyone in the book is screaming about revolution and storming the banks on Wall Street.
>>
>>8278063
>if you don't say "I think capitalism is bad" out loud then you're subtle
>meme arrows
>>
>>8277624
Woah, another psychopath on /lit/? I pretend to be really nice to people, but it's all a part of blending in of course, I don't really care about anyone at all. Tick off everything on the psychopath checklist too.

Ask me anything roaches
>>
>>8277865
writing style is pretty good. good enough at the very least to keep it fresh.

my biggest qualm with this book is that it's boring. there are long long meandering descriptions of objects. it's a stylistic choice, i know, but it's annoying and I skipped every one (i also skipped the chapters of patrick describing the shitty music he likes).
everything else is pretty solid, and if you skip all the horseshit like i did it's a pretty fun ride.
there's nothing really subtle about it but that also seems to be an intentional choice. it's not a bad book.
>>
>>8278063
this is embarrassing for you
>>
>>8278136

Continue being a pretentious, autistic, twat then, you're entitled to your shitty opinion. But the book criticizes capitalism indirectly through the use of satire and subtle character actions.
>>
>>8277624
first time reading a book that i started dying laughing - was the scene where he reads the poem to his ex
>>
>>8278211

Maybe if I cared what people on a shitty Japanese image board thought it would be embarrassing.
>>
>>8278219
you can simultaneously get embarrassed or do something embarrassing and not care, though i suspect you do. embarrassing.
>>
File: 1468232562365.jpg (73 KB, 640x460) Image search: [Google]
1468232562365.jpg
73 KB, 640x460
>>8278223

>On /lit/
>Can't use proper grammar
>Forcing the embarrassing meme
>>
Have to say I relate to Bateman too.
Not in the murder way though, more in the "I fake a personality so people think I'm normal way. Thinking of the stuff in the earlier parts where he plays the moral ambassador while secretly being an asshole. Or how he treats women as dispensible.
>>
>>8277624
Guess how I can tell you're a leftist.
>>
>>8278305

Guess how I can tell you have autism.
>>
>>8277865
You will never eat at a restaurant without feeling like a stupid faggot again
>>
File: 1459928931693.gif (1 MB, 350x272) Image search: [Google]
1459928931693.gif
1 MB, 350x272
>>8278305
>>
Do you go through that whole "Yale" thing
>>
>>8278177
Did you also skip the "boring" parts of Moby Dick?
>>
>>8277792
>it's a satirical critique of obscene consumerism, the yuppie culture (not just of the 80's but can be applied to modern times too) and has strong themes of class warfare as well as subtle anti capitalist sentiments. .

This is why you should hate the book, though. His first two books show some emotional sophistication, then this crappy strawman character in a dkos tantrum.
>>
It's very kafkaesque
>>
I loved the book. It was so surreal and hysterical, had me loling throughout the book.
>>
>>8277990
So ... you hate a piece of literature because a subset of adolescents on the Internet fetishize sociopathic behavior because they're not mature enough to have learned empathy. Great idea bro.
>>
>>8277624
It's not that big of a deal. Almost all Americans would identify with empty consumerism, conspicuous consumption, and unconnected religion of progressive morals.

Bateman cared about Sri Lanka starvation to murdering acquaintances who recognized an wrongly hanged Rothko. Then it could all be a delusion in his mind, which relates since we all have psychopathic thoughts from isolation.
>>
>>8277624
I read it last summer. Most people probably think it's some edgy slasher novel, but as people have said ITT, it's really about consumerism and materialism in society.

I really enjoyed all the brand names and outfit descriptions, it really drives the point home.

It's also funny how Bateman is this absolute fucking lunatic and yet nobody seems to notice due to their complete and utter self absorption.

The music monologues got old, though
>>
>>8278305
This doesn't make sense, can you explain your meaning?
>>
I feel like when people say they relate to Bateman, they look more at his "fuck you, i'm better" attitude which is part of what we find so funny about him cause of his total seriousness in all that's occurring. I don't think they realize the narcissism and when they do they think it's part of the joke.
>>
>>
I liked it for the insight he had, mostly the statement about himself. That he is not good, nor bad. That every existence and every feeling has a worth and shouldn't be shunned.
Justifying his actions, clouding them in deeply engraved structures, but still wanting to break it down.
Kinda the same with marc aurel, talking about that a bad person does bad things and should be accepted as such, and not shunned.
I just loved the thought and how the book built up to that conclusion.
I'm not sure, the anti consum shit was forced as hell, subtle is someting else. Though that is who i am, i didn't like bateman for his thoughts on how people are, more for his childish attempts of understanding, using others words to describe things he's not capable of feeling.
>>
>>8278177
Oh my, don't you find the satirical aspect amusing, where patrick actualy thinks he's a person, with some sort of understanding of music? Where the wall falls, he has built? It's interesting, to say the least.
>>
>>8277624
Scary because its a reflection on just how fatuous our personal conception of individuality is? Because like half of everyone who reads it feels the same way
>>
>>8280502
He said he liked the book but identifying with the main character is silly and he's right you sperg
>>
The book is hilarious. All their exchanges are hilarious. The way he always describes the women he meets as "she is secretly in love with me. The Tom Cruise scene. Every mention of Trump.
>>
>>8277624
Loved the movie, bought the book and could only make it 110 pages in, read up online that it doesn't change. The movie was better because it isn't 300 pages of him talking about what clothes this person is wearing.

DROPPED
>>
>>8284078
>300 pages of him talking about what clothes this person is wearing.
>DROPPED

You must love Tolstoy then
>>
>>8280502
You're autistic.
>>
>>8277624
Self-fulfilling Prophecy
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.