[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just tried to start reading this. I had to put it aside after
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 312x475) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 312x475
I just tried to start reading this. I had to put it aside after barely making it through the first chapter. The preface from the author says people will either love or hate it, and I can see why.

From the first chapter:
>He asked boldly.
>The woman smiled coldly.
>her features thin and unmemorable
>he muttered, under his breath, as if the words were not meant for anyone else's ears.
>The commander's eyes narrowed, gauging.

Show, don't tell, for fuck's sake. This book is quite literally someone transcribing their tabletop campaign. No wonder it took years to get off the ground. I'd rather read someone's description of their dream written thirty seconds after they woke up. At least that would have some substance.

The book starts with a "Dramatis Personae" that lists off a hundred and twenty-two characters, telling me who is who's lover and which assassin belongs to which clan. The first chapter opens with some turgid verse a la Lord of the Rings directly followed by faux oral history, both given actual chapter and verse numbers. I guess I have to give Erikson props for forcing his dreams and ambitions on people until someone caved and published this. If I've learned anything here it's that what my parents and teachers taught me is wrong and I should badger people until I get my way.

Someone here recommended this series. Why? Was it as a joke? Do you enjoy this? Can you explain why?
>>
The first novel is complete garbage, didn't read further.
It's an excrement of a dnd playing neckbeard who never went beyond fantasy and it shows.
>>
>>8277507
Are you sure someone didn't just recommend Steve Erickson (a cool author endorsed by Pynchon) and you got the names mixed up?
>>
There are no excuses. The first novel is trash. The second, third, and fourth novel are some of the best pieces of high fantasy you will ever read.
>>
Sure is summer
>>
>>8277538
>genre fiction isnt read or discussed in the winter

are you new?
>>
Oh, I forgot to mention. In the preface, the author has the balls to say that the story starts in media res, and anyone who can't follow along has their attention span to blame. Is this some kind of elaborate joke?
>>
>>8277507
>and I should badger people until I get my way
It seems you've gotten more out of this than you would from most books

>>8277556
>Is this some kind of elaborate joke?
No. You're right in that it's garbage, but you're nonetheless a retard if you couldn't follow it
>>
>>8277556
>reading the introductions if they arent some sort of biographical piece on an obscure figure with an interesting life
>>
I think the first book is one of the best in the series. The world and battle scale feels bigger. After 4 it starts reading like fluff.
He kept adding things to the magic system and world, sounds good in theory but it just made it a mess that he
tried to write his way out of in the last few books.

Its the written equivalent of LOST.
>>
>>8277589
>Its the written equivalent of LOST.
bretty good, after toll the hounds I just turned the channel.
>>
WE HAVE A GENERAL WHERE THIS GENRE SHIT BELONGS YOU STUPID NIGGER. KILL YOURSELF. HANG BY THE NECK IN YOUR UPSTAIRS BATHROOM. GO, MY CHUM, SHOOT YOUR FEET OFF AND BLEED TO DEATH ON THE FLOOR. WRESTLE YOUR WHORE MOTHER TO THE GROUND AND HELP HER WITH HER PROBLEMS. IF YOU SEE A PERSON WHO NEEDS HELP, DON'T FUCKING IGNORE THEM YOU DIP. FEED THE HOMELESS. ARE YOU INNOCENT? NO, I DON'T THINK YOU ARE INNOCENT, PUNK. TIME TO CHECK THE TIME BECAUSE IT'S PAST YOUR TIME. BON VOYAGE, FRENCHIE FRIES. I HATE RACISM SO DAMN MUCH.
>>
>>8277618
I gave a fat homeless guy two snickers bars earlier. Does that count?
>>
>>8277507
Sentences like that are ubiquitous in genre fiction. Really nitpicking here
>>
>>8277629
THAT'S FINE.
>>
>>8277507
>Show, don't tell

Biggest meme of the literary world. Go watch a film if you want to be shown something.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.