[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I liked them, thought they were fun
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
I liked them, thought they were fun
>>
I like ASOIAF series as well, they're quite entertaining. Also, if you'd like them, check out Zelzany's The Chronicles Of Amber. He was Martin's mentor, and The Chronicles Of Amber books are much better than Martin's ASOIAF series.
>>
>>8277347
>The placement of that comma
>Liking asoshit

Not surprised
>>
>>8277347

Who else bought and read them ten or so years ago so now your editions don't have "Now an HBO original project" or some bollocks like that.
>>
>>8277347
sometimes i enjoy taking a huge satisfying shit
>>
>>8277603
sure you are cool dude
>>
>>8277347
cool story bro
>>
>>8277347
>wasting months of your life to read a 8000-page pasta just because it's "fun".

Nigga, read a comic book for fun or, a 200-page booklet. You don't read War and Peace, or Ulysses for """""fun"""""".
>>
overrated
>>
>>8279008
I did tho
>>
>>8277347
>spends countless hours watching someone else play Skyrim
do you booboo
>>
>>8279008
>months
nigga I read the first two books in literally a month
>>
>>8279295
so you're saying it took you months to read the series
which is what he said
>>
>>8279008
>You don't read War and Peace, or Ulysses for """""fun"""""".
Speak for yourself, chum.

But I agree, Martin is an awful writer and there's much better fantasy one could read. Ask me if you want recommendations.
>>
>>8279315
I could need some recommendations. Is there any good fantasy that's a bit beyond the cliche?
>>
>>8279324
Anne Franks diary
>>
>>8279324
In approximate order of quality: Gormenghast trilogy, The King of Elfland's Daughter, The Broken Sword, Puck of Pook's Hill, Richard Kipling's Tales of Horror and Fantasy, Gloriana, The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, Lankhmar series, Conan the Barbarian, Viriconium series, The Worm Ouroboros, Earthsea, Perdido Street Station.
>>
>>8279362
That's a brilliant list anon. If I may; I really like C. J. Cherryh (though she sort of blends speculative fiction and science fiction in some works, her fantasy's really nice).
>>
>>8279008
War and Peace doesn't have any high brow philosophical literary themes, it's whole point is to entertain. It is considered literature because it is written extremely well.
>>
>>8279362

Been thinking about reading The Worm Ouroborous considering how much it influenced Tolkien and it was supposedly the last fantasy book to be popular before Tolkien ruined everything with his medieval style fantasy.
>>
I want to read these but I don't have the time. Never have the time
>>
>>8277347

Not going to lie, I mostly liked it because of how heavily I related to Tyrion
>>
File: daenerys the unburnt.png (983 KB, 750x1300) Image search: [Google]
daenerys the unburnt.png
983 KB, 750x1300
I like them, too. Part of the appeal is watching how much the characters can fuck up, it's pretty funny. She's not a favorite character of mine, but I liked Daenerys chapters just because of how much she fucked everything up. She kind of reminds me of my Dungeons and Dragons group. Go into a town with the best intentions and just fuck everything up.

>>8277472

I've heard nothing but good things about Chronicles of Amber. I'll be sure to check them out!
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.