[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any Asian fantasy books in a similar vein as "A
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: Fantasy-World.jpg (506 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Fantasy-World.jpg
506 KB, 1920x1080
Are there any Asian fantasy books in a similar vein as "A Song of Ice and Fire," preferably written by someone more competent than GRRM? ASOIAF is bogged down by lousy writing from a mechanical standpoint, but I do like the idea of seeing the story of an empire being told through many perspectives.

I think it would be cool to see something like the Warring States period or the rise of the Shogunate put through a fantasy filter the way GRRM did with the War of the Roses.

If such a novel does not exist, please go write one. I want to read it.
>>
>>8277140
There is always Legend of the Galactic heroes, it is sci-fi but heavily inspired by three memedom wars. Hard to say it is "game of thrones in space" but they are similar in realism aspect, albeit logh takes a bit more romantic approach.

2/10 novels are translated into English, they are okay albeit not great, there is also the animu which is considered a classic.
>>
>>8277143
Thanks, I'll check it out. Is it worth reading the books first, or is the animu that better?
>>
>>8277144
That much better*
>>
File: LoGH_Guide.png (1 MB, 898x2895) Image search: [Google]
LoGH_Guide.png
1 MB, 898x2895
>>8277144
>>8277148
Anime is great, I mean 9/10 great. The major disadvantage is that is made in late 80s-90s so visually it is not great, but besides that the plot the characters etc are praised. I would Start with anime, watch it in the order of the pic related.

Reading the book afterwards is nice, there are some details that are missing in anime that are included in the book. Not plot crucial elements, but it is nice to read them after the anime. It also shows how detail oriented the anime was.
>>
>>8277156
Sounds good. Thanks, famalam
>>
>>8277140
just read romance of the three kingdoms you utter pleb
>>
>>8277144
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL79E5a0wBpi63v5gPBgCXSZocon5ZzTlP
>>
>>8277140

Have you tried wuxia novels?
Jin Yong is quite popular.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.