[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
the person in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: slowbro3.jpg (39 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
slowbro3.jpg
39 KB, 640x480
the person in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkPR4Rcf4ww) argues that for something to be considered "kafkaesque" it has to not only embody oppressive nightmare-ish qualities but it must also possess some element of irony in it.

that being said what is the element of irony in the metamorphosis? does one exist?
>>
>>8276208

The irony is that the metamorphosis into a useless insect who directly causes the lives of the family to be worse than they would otherwise be is the cause of the entire family he had been providing for to themselves metamorphosise into far more independent and "better" human beings than they had been before the literal metamorphosis occurred.
>>
>>8276208
he already was a bug
>>
>>8276208

>A bug with a funny voice trying to explain his family why he hadn't get up earlier
>>
Sometimes when I kill a bug I'll wonder if it was a person, then I go about my day. Kafka is hilarious.
>>
File: 1358016490824.jpg (22 KB, 257x400) Image search: [Google]
1358016490824.jpg
22 KB, 257x400
>>8276208
I'm so sick of people meming about "kafkaesque" as if kafka is the only thing the suffix "esque" can be applied to. Learn how to language.

-esque only means that a thing (X) has qualities similar to that of another thing (N) such that X is N-esque. The two don't need to share all qualities, the qualities don't need to be rigorously defined and contrasted for the suffix to apply.

Of course you can further differentiate the two, compare and contrast, but as long as some notion of correlation applies then the suffix is valid for any two things.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.