[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The problem of Pride
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: Homerus Trinity College.jpg (22 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
Homerus Trinity College.jpg
22 KB, 320x320
How does Homer reconcile the problem of pride and agency when fate and the will of the gods prohibit the Homerian heroes ofhaving any responsibility which is necessary for a sense of pride to emerge?
>>
>>8275156
>fate and the will of the gods prohibit the Homerian heroes ofhaving any responsibility
This part is wrong.
>>
>>8275170
Elaborate.

It seems to me that if fate is the driving motor of all, and if the deeds and virtues of the heroes are bestowed upon them by the grace of the gods, than how can the Homerian heroes have any pride in their actions if they are not responsible for their actions.

I had this problem when reading Homer but I am hoping someone has some interesting ideas on the matter
>>
>>8275204
Fate does not remove your agency. Their actions were still their own. They are still responsible for their actions.
>>
>>8275204
Their virtues may be bestowed by fate or the gods, but so are yours.
The gods were not infallible and often faught between themselves, picking favorites and often changing their opinions on the mortals. Remember that Zeus grudgingly changed the tide of the war because of Achilles.
Also, fate was not predetermined. Achilles had a choice to fight, die and be remembered forever. Or to not fight, live a long life and be forgotten in a few generations.
Achilles chose to not fight when Agamemnon slighted him. This was his choice to uphold his honor, it wasn't imposed by the gods.
The heros may be aided by the gods and fate, but ultimately their choices are still their own. Also they never knew when the gods will turn against them, but fought bravely anyways.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.