[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hegelian wizards plz help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 672x372) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 672x372
I suck at Hegel. What does he mean when he refers to negativity?
>>
>>8269358
as opposed to positivity, numbnuts. read Singer and Kaufmann.
>>
>>8269381
Honestly dude, every time I try to read anything in philosophy and ask any question about it I get told I need to read three other philosophers before I can read whichever one I'm interested in. Like, at some point I feel like I just have to choose someone.
>>
>>8269385
That's why you start with the Greeks, dummy.
>>
>>8269385
it's kinda true, though. but Singer's book is short and easy, and Kaufmann is longish but engaging af and super helpful. I could recommend Aristotle and Kant and Fichte and Schelling, but nvm all that: those two books should be enough to get you unstuck.
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 450x600
>>8269397
I read the essential Socratic dialogues and republic.

>>8269403
Okay, I'll do it for you anon, but after that I'm sticking to Hegel until I become a Hegelian wizard
>>
>>8269417
Just read the stuff before Hegel first. It's not really all that much, it's like 10 books and will take you just a year or so. Just hit all the main things in the chain, do like,
Aristotle - Organon
Descartes - Meditations & Discourse on method
Spinoza - Ethics
Locke - Essay concerning human understanding (abridged obv)
Leibniz - Monadology
Berkely - A Treatise Concerning the Principles of Human Knowledge
Hume - An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding
Kant - Prolegomena & all three critiques

And then tackle Hegel. My advice for Hegel is to pick up one of the two Hegel dictionaries so you can look up words he uses like Absolute, thing-in-and-for-itself, sublate, negative, etc
>>
>>8269441
this is a serious rabbit hole man, I started reading philosophy like a year ago because I wanted to understand Zizek now I don't even like Zizek and I have a backlog of a zillion texts to get through.
>>
>>8269452
philosophy aint one and done famalam
>>
>>8269453
....4 of those books are by Kant, you dense dildo.

people like you are the reason nobody ever learns shit about philosophy on this board.
>>
>>8269453
because this isn't even counting the books I need to read for Lacan

I'm also just whining on the Internet
>>
>>8269461
I understand the concept anon, and from what I've retained from Hegel I understand the irony of wanting to understand Hegel by himself but when I was a kid my family was stupid and convinced me that my marginal intelligence was somehow genius level shit so when stuff doesn't come easy to me I get frustrated.
>>
>>8269460
>Hey guys, I'm having a hard time understanding Hegel but I don't want to have to read Kant, what should I do?

retarded.
>>
>>8269498
He's not OP, I am.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.