[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.refinery29.com/2016/07/1 16003/marvel-black-iron-
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 430x516) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 430x516
http://www.refinery29.com/2016/07/116003/marvel-black-iron-man-writer
>But the reality is, no matter how talented, creative, or imaginative Bendis is, he won't be able to accurately tell the story of a young, gifted, and Black character without the help of Black writers.
>Can he portray the awkwardness Riri feels when the Old Boys Club of white male superheroes evilly laughs at the idea that she thinks she can take over the world? Can he dream up a realistic Kendrick Lamar-fueled playlist that she'll blast inside her new-and-improved Iron Man suit? (I personally need to hear "Alright" just to begin a normal day, so if I were a 15-year-old superhero, I'd need the turn-up tunes on deck.) Yes, this is an imaginary world, and yes, these are all small details — but authenticity is what makes a story not just entertaining, but relatable.

I know this article is about comics, which are retard-tier, but does the idea that a writer shouldn't portray characters of other ethnicities (how about genders? Ages?) because they can't present them "authentically?" What is authentic, anyway? Does that mean fitting the character into a certain stereotype? This person mentions Kendrick Lamar music; MUST a black character listen to rap music? What's the dividing line between a black author making a character authentic and a white author making them stereotyped?
>>
>>8267015
They go on about diversity but never have any Arabs, Persians, indians, native Americans or Asians. Not even a bloody aboriginal just blacks.
Only blacks and whites.
It's not fucking diverse
>>
>>8267273
Confirmed for having never read capefag rags.

>>8267279
This
>>
>>8267015
what is empathy?

Very little is life-like in fiction, which is why we call it fiction. A good character will be a good character regardless if they are anything like their creator. If authors can create authentic hard AIs and aliens as characters, then they can write characters of different backgrounds than their own. Of course an author that can relate to their creation personally will have a somewhat easier time writing them well. Yet a willingness to learn and to think hard on who the character really is, easily makes up for any major differences between the creator and their fictional counterpart. Humans are predisposed towards empathy. It takes very little for us to find connections between ourselves and others as both the writer as well as the reader.
>>
>>8267015

I would be fine if it was characters who are trying to make an identity for themselves, why do they always have to piggyback off of more successful heroes and end up with watered down rogues gallery? It just makes them entirely uninteresting, the irony here is Marvel and DC already have a good plethora of multicultural characters who are pretty original yet they never use them and they'd rather just attach them to a big named superhero due to the fact they are uncreative.
>>
Holy fucking Christ-on-a-stick, no one cares.
>>
OP deserves to be raped by niggers
>>
>>8267374
Clearly the person who wrote the blog cares.
>>
get this pleb trash out of here senpai
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.