[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you like your native language, /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41
File: tumblr_lb87voD5it1qzcvpqo1_1280.jpg (242 KB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lb87voD5it1qzcvpqo1_1280.jpg
242 KB, 667x1000
Do you like your native language, /lit/?
>>
>>8262725
> French

Yes. English is quite a bad language for thinking, philosophy, and community (I mean, it's the only language that capitalizes the first-person pronoun - no wonder they're selfish cultureless swine that can't cook or dance).
>>
File: image.jpg (84 KB, 1585x580) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84 KB, 1585x580
>>8262737
>>
Portuguese is ugly as fuck desu
>>
>>8262737
read a book on linguistics froglord
>>
>>8262725
mfw such a lust for revenge
>>
>>8262725
>English
Fuck yeah. I love it, in all its stupid glory.
>>
>Russian

Yes, it's absolutely beautiful.
>>
>German
>knows how to pronounce Goethe, Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, etc. correctly
Feels good man.
>>
>>8262790
>he doesn't realise that "correctly" differs based on the language being used, and is not necessarily simply how it is pronounced in its native tongue
I don't call it fucking Pa-reeeeee. Even if it is Frogtown.
>>
>>8262725
>Irish
Yeah, it's based, but I never get to speak it

>English
It has dizzying heights and abysmal lows but over all yeah, it's based.
>>
>Spanish
Yes, its a fucking beautiful language
>>
Everybody has the same native language tbqh senpai.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6QUFqiJx9k
>>
>>8262747
> can't use a comma
> DUDE YOU JUST DONT KNOW LINGUISTICS

Anglos destroying their own language.
>>
What I absolutely love about German is that you can just make up ridiculously long new words by combining existing ones
>>
>>8262725
>German
I hate reading and hearing it, except if it's academic texts. Colloquial German seriously triggers me.
>>
>>8262725
>Russian
Well, it's OK, I guess
>>
>>8262725
>Spanish, hebrew, english

I'm cool with it.
>>
File: საქართველო.png (35 KB, 1074x716) Image search: [Google]
საქართველო.png
35 KB, 1074x716
>>8262737
>having a bicameral alphabet
>>
>>8262725
>French
No. Granted, it has at least as much potential as German, but it's incredibly hard to make it not suck.
I believe that most foreigners who claim to like it would not do so if they understood the workings of the language, and that the farthest they have gotten to getting a feel for it is found in their belief, mistaken as it is, that they need to do that thing with their nose to speak it aloud.
>>
>>8262791
>and is not necessarily simply how it is pronounced in its native tongue

Yes, yes it is, you mongoloid monolingual.
>>
I grew up in a Yiddish speaking household and yes I love it.
>>
>ancient colonies
>they think it is their language

lul
>>
>Danish
Currently reading J. P. Jacobsen Niels Lyhne which is an amazing piece, and beautiful danish. Recently translated to english.
(Can also pronounce Soren Kierkegaards name properly)
And we have H. C. Andersen
>>
>>8262946
So whenever you talk about China you call it Zhongguo, regardless of what language you are speaking?
>>
>>8262946
>PAREEEEE
>>
After learning German I now dislike all the silent letters in English. The capitalization of nouns is nice too and I wish we still used "thou."
>>
>>8262946
>hey what did you do this summer?
>oh I went on a trip to new orh-lay-ohhn
>>
двa из тpeх пocтoв в ceм тpeдe oт OП.
Beweist mich falsch.
>>8262956
red nit kayn wtus
>>
>Portuguese
it's cool

>>8262966
that's a great book, fäm
>>
File: 1467694015183.jpg (15 KB, 236x318) Image search: [Google]
1467694015183.jpg
15 KB, 236x318
>mfw non-native speakers will never fully appreciate the depth of Shakespeare, Melville, Joyce, and Pynchon unless they're rich autists like Nabokov and they get tutored in the language from age 3
>>
>>8262725
>Dutch
No problems with it. It can definitely be the most knullige language in existence (wins easily in this respect), but it can also be beautiful. I do think that our literature sucks though.
>>
latin, pretty ok desu
>>
>>8262737
>English is quite a bad language for thinking, philosophy, and community

and yet, here we are
>>
>>8262725
>Romanian

I guess. I've heard it's pretty hard to master, and learners rarely get the phonetics right (but then again, isn't that true of every language, English included?). True, not many people have to learn it, and even fewer want to.

The basic structure is Romance but the vocabulary is a weird hybrid of Romance and Slavic for the most part, with lots of borrowings from Hungarian, Turkish, Medieval Greek and French for the high-brow terms. Phonetically too--it sounds a bit like Sicilian spoken by a Ukrainian-born nymphet snatched by the Ottomans and bred as a sex slave; this tends to give it an aura of exotic sensuality in the minds of uncultured monolingual Westerners, such as John "It's so beeg" Green. This aura is also supported by Romanian girls' reputation as being both shapely and slutty (which isn't true at all, btw--some of them are butt-ugly and slutty).
>>
>>8262966

Suh-ren Keer-keh-guard.
>>
>>8263059
Ovid pls go
>>
>>8263069
What do you mean "and yet"?
>>
>>8262725
>Hebrew
It's truly beautiful, and I enjoy playing with it when I write poems. Sadly, all the Hebrew I hear everyday is the disgusting and distorted slang of anti-intellectual degenerates that make it sounds like shit with their tasteless sexist words and overuse of kebab curses.
>>
>>8262850
Nimms leicht mein freund
>>
Grew up bilingual, english mother, german father. Growing up in germany, got the british, newzealand and german passport.
Mother read tons of books (litrature, novels and shit), father philosophy most of the time.
Im fucking set up boys, best of both worlds.
>>
>>8263095
what are you fav writers, חבר?
>>
>>8263095
>overuse of kebab curses
You wouldn't like germany
>>
File: 1468163236801.png (130 KB, 270x314) Image search: [Google]
1468163236801.png
130 KB, 270x314
>>8263094
...you don't know those words?
>>
>>8263074
I'd like to learn it, along with Roma and Hung Aryan because it's fellow commieblockistanis but the materials are difficult to find. I speak French and I speak Slavic as it is.
>>
>>8263094
Surely he means, "and yet it's Anglo-Saxon civilisation that emerged in the 19th and 20th centuries as the supreme world powers, exerting a more universal influence on the rest of humanity than any previous empire in all of recorded history.

Also,
>English is bad for philosophy
Good meme, fàm. France hasn't produced a respectable philosopher in over a century. They're all Parisian pseudo-intellectuals spouting utter nonsense.

The serious academic philosophical community laughs at your Frenchy public intellectuals. The best you have to offer today are living caricatures like BHL. Give me a break!
>>
>>8263075
Some foreigner told me it sounds more like: 'Saarn keerkegau'
aa = å
His name would translate to Soren Graveyard
>>
>>8263114
רחל, זלדה, יהודה עמיחי, יונה וולך, חנוך לוין. מה איתך?

>>8263118
Can you give examples?
>>
File: liberator.jpg (6 KB, 220x224) Image search: [Google]
liberator.jpg
6 KB, 220x224
>>8263118
>obvious רוסים
>wouldn't like it in Germany
echt?
>>
>>8263139

The foreigner was probably right.

The anon you're responding to pronounced like a Norwegian.

Danish is what happens when a nation tries to divorce its spoken language from the written form as far as possible. They speak like they have potatoes in their mouths.
>>
>>8263145
>echt
Stop pretending you know German. They capitalize the first word in every sentence you dip.
>>
>>8263016
Flemish literature is pretty good, a lot of the time. I'll agree on the knullig part.
>>
>>8263144
>רחל, זלדה, יהודה עמיחי, יונה וולך, חנוך לוין. מה איתך?
ani lo mavena iwrit

that's why I was asking in the first place.
>>
>>8262725
Estonian. Yes.
Having no gendered pronouns is pretty comfy. Also all these suffixes.
>>
>>8263152
>Stop pretending
Bleib tschillig, Kartofl.
>>
>>8263002
?????
Some countries value education, we get English starting at age 2 as a third language
>>
>Latvian
>implying anyone has ever heard of it

Hard to judge your own native language. I've heard linguists say that it has many archaic features. So that's pretty interesting.

It does sound kind of unique, I think.
>>
>>8263157
How do you pronounce the o with a ~ on it?
>>
>>8263164
>Latvian
Pirmo reizi dzirdu, kur tādā runā?
>>
>>8262725
>>8262725
English is nice enough and certainly useful in other situations but german or russian would be more useful for literature
>>
>>8263166
", perkele,"
>>
>>8263173

Man ir astoņas paduses.
>>
>>8263159
Sie seid eine Frau.
>>
>>8263148
Hahaha the guy wrote it like the english pronounce it.
Norwegians pronounce it far differently (closer to danish of course)
>Danish is what happens when a nation tries to divorce its spoken language from the written form as far as possible.
As a dane - I can confirm this. And its very odd with the "potatoes in our mouth thingy - it seems like a universal way of explaining our language... I thought it was just our fellow scandinavians making fun of us, but when travelling deeply inside russia, some russian man told me it sounds like I have a potato stuck in my throat... a potato... WHY POTATO?!? why not any other vegetable or fruit?
>>
>>8263181
Dižā mūžameža eži saož mežarožu ražu, daži eži ožot snauž, daži rožu ražu grauž.
>>
>>8263176
>le English language isn't the most important for literature meme

Though I admit Russian and German do come the closest to equalling it.
>>
>>8263176

How so?
>>
>>8263166
With pleasure. Otherwise hard to explain, as I'm not an expert. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%95
>>8263177
You got something confused there, sõber.
>>
My home language is Afrikaans, and while it is basically a simpler form of Dutch with a few words from other languages, it can be truly beautiful at times. We have quite a lot of great prose writers and poets and sometimes it is amazing what they manage to do with the language.
>>
>>8263185

Hadn't heard that one before.

I'm surprised to find a Latvian on /lit/. Most of us aren't quite good enough to read anything in English.
>>
>>8263189
I like german and russian literate far more than american or British
>>
>>8262725
>Spanish
I adore it. It's just like Spain, Hard, slow, unappreciated, full of shit but with shining jewels here and there, real as fucking life and undeniably beautiful when spoken by a neutral Spanish and tear bringing wonderful when written by someone with a background in Spanish golden age.
>>
>>8263129
That makes more sense. I thought he meant "and yet, here we are, on /lit/, bastion of thinking, philosophy and community".
>>
>>8263201

Do you mean to say that you enjoy literature written by Russian and German authors better than American or British authors?

I thought you meant that the Russian and German languages are better suited for literature in general.
>>
>>8263129
The fact that you think "BHL" could be the best thing offered by any country at all sadly discredits your opinion
>>
>>8263201
The Russian and the German literati are completely disgusting. They rarely speak more than one language and tend to be by 50 years, or so, out of the loop with what's high fashion in America and France.
>>
>>8263176

German's absurd levels of autism are only good for philosophy.
>>
>>8263166
>>8263191
This link has it with sound.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-mid_back_unrounded_vowel
You probably won't be able to replicate it.
>>
>>8263200
Yeah, but a few people out of the whole population isn't exactly much. I've encountered several Latvians here before.
>>
>>8263207

Not the guy you replied to, but do you even reading comprehension?
>>
My native tongue is from Antarctica.
>>
>>8263214
Does that make you a special snowflake?
>>
>>8263163

So you can say "the grass is green" and "the car is red" in a phony British accent? Good for you.
>>
>>8263210
>German's absurd levels of autism are only good for philosophy.
Was genau hat der Neger im Sinn?
>>
>>8263212

As have I, but I mainly met them on /int/. /lit/ would literally be the last place I would look.

What are your favourite books? I want to know what my fellow tracksuit wearing countrymen like to read.
>>
>>8263215
Yes. Because snowflakes snow flakes.
>>
>>8263219

Ding an Sich muhfugga
>>
>>8263213
Do you? Henry-Levy is absolute bottom-of-the-barrel and every pseudo-intellectual piece of trash currently found in France is still better than him
>>
>>8263228
You can translate that quite directly into every other language in the world. Idealist philosophers in general should translate really well since they do employ a technical jargon.
>>
>>8263245

The guy you replied to was implying that he doesn't like BHL. And you decided to confront him for stating that BHL is good.
>>
>>8263245
>pseudo-intellectual piece of trash
give an example for the truly intellectual non-trash found amongst the continental thinkers.
>>
>>8263156
Oh sorry, I thought you did and were trying to start a conversation about that. My favorite writers are Bialik, Zelda, Yehuda Amichai, Yona Wallach, Hanoch Levin (All are poets, though Levin mostly wrote plays).
Never really tried into Hebrew novels. The Jewish Dog by Asher Kravitz was one I remember reading once and it was very nice and amusing.
>>
>>8262725
English.

Fuck yes. I'm half Swiss though so perhaps I have an obligation to Swiss German. Swiss German is a disgusting language/dialect. German is OK though but I do wish I was half-something else.
>>
>>8263260
what do you hold of etgar keret and amos oz? The latter one's insanely popular over here.
>>
File: mulisch.jpg (2 MB, 2613x3538) Image search: [Google]
mulisch.jpg
2 MB, 2613x3538
>>8262725
I used to encounter quite a few of problems trying to write or even express myself in my native language, which left me feeling quite embarassed. After this experience, I started reading my country's literature, which helped me a great deal.

Mulisch, Reve, Hermans, Claus, etc
>>
>>8263271

I've been told Swiss German is very sing-song and silly.
>>
>>8263271
>Swiss German is a disgusting language/dialect.
How so? I found it insanely amusing to communicate with Schweizers using pen and papers as if we spoke two random dialects from China and not Germany.
It's a disgraced that Germany is stamping out it's dialects. Each language has it's beauty.
>>
>>8263273
Keret is really fun, I read three books by him and all his stories are either amusing, bitter, feely, or simply leave you with a taste on the tongue.
I never read Amos Oz so I don't have an opinion on him.
Where are you from?
>>
>>8263313
A plenty of places.
See you next year in Jerusalem.
>>
File: 2839202.jpg (9 KB, 175x232) Image search: [Google]
2839202.jpg
9 KB, 175x232
>Afrikaans

Because fuck Dutch and all its superfluousness. Also, C.J. Langenhoven
>>
>>8263069
philosophy is kept alive by germans
>>
>>8262737
>mfw a frog claps on the upbeat
>>
>>8263095
i like your style
>>
>>8262725
>speak only spanish for first five years of life
>speak only english from age five till now
>not fluent in spanish any longer

which one is my native language?
>>
>>8263408

You have none, you're a rootless cursed pleb who is forever cut off from anything approaching a native understanding of a language.
>>
>>8263360

Are they really so different?

Choose wisely, or I'll take your biltong.
>>
>>8263335
If I won't get stabbed before :)
>>
The overuse of lower-case in this thread is annoying.
>>
>>8262725
who
>>
>>8263414
Afrikaans is a completely different language from Dutch. Even more so than Flemmish is from Dutch.

Old Dutch forms the basis of the language, yes, but Afrikaans consists of many other linguistic influences, like German, French, and even African languages.

Literately, it's completely different and distinct.
>>
>>8263430
You. That's what "your" means you dip.
>>
>>8263408
>Used to pride myself in my Spanish speaking skills (my native language)
>Stop speaking Spanish for around 7 years
>Now speak in very basic Spanish and struggle to recall several words
>I can see my mother's disappointment when I talk to her and it takes me 200 years to think of the word I'm trying to use

I'm so angry!
>>
>>8263431
literarily*
>>
>>8263431
>>8263437

Literally.

As in, you're literally a dumbass Boer.
>>
>>8263095
Man, does Israel suck, too? American Jew here, was hoping to be able to bug out to Israel once the US goes full retard. Guess I might just have to die in Trump's camps/Hillary's gulags.
>>
>>8263430
If you meant the pic, then the photographer is Ryan Mcginley, no idea about that girl.
>>
>>8263444
Fuck you got me senpai
>>
>>8263456
I know the doe. I went to school with her.
>>
>>8263448
>being this fucking stupid
>>
>>8263462
She's my dad.
>>
>Lithuanian
> hurr durr our language is closest to Sanskrit

This circlejerk is some WE WUZ KINGS-tier shit.
>>
>>8263448
Maybe by then Israel will conquer the middle east so you could do an aliyah and recruit to IDF and be an officer in the camps or something.

Yeah, it's sucks. Unless you're a diehard Zionist who believes Israel is a magical realm and wants to fight evil Arabs because "muh holocaust something".
>>
File: WE.jpg (16 KB, 265x258) Image search: [Google]
WE.jpg
16 KB, 265x258
>>8263509
>>
>>8263216
the truth is the slavic countries can have native proficiency english depending on if they spent time reading throughout their school years instead of playing video/wasting their time
>>
>>8263516
Are you not a zionist? You don't believe Jews need their own country with all the antisemitism in the world?
>>
>>8263533
A big part of my English learning came from video games and watching TV. I read only a few books in English, in my school years that is.
>>
>Hungarian
>Rich literature
>No gender nonsense
>Requires actual commitment,so pseud shitters don't learn it

What is there to not love?
>>
>>8263567

No personal pronouns.
>>
>>8263509
> poo in loo
>>
>>8263543
I don't consider myself a Zionist or even a Jew, really. I used to think that Jews need their own state because of antisemitism and past persecution, I'm not saying that now I don't, it's just that I don't care too much about such political matters anymore. The nationalism, racism and hatred going on here are endless and tiresome, people trying to make it all black and white and politicians who enjoy keeping the mess as it is. So it seems pointless to me. I try to concentrate in living my own life and talk people out of their prejudices when I have the chance.
>>
>>8262737
>"Was soll nicht alles Meine Sache sein!"
>he doesn't capitalize his first person pronouns anyway
Spooky
>>
Yes, I like italian and Arabic a lot
>>
>>8262725
No, because what is one decent language has been broken into several inferior ones, all completely mutually intelligible but with completely arbitrary differences in capitalization and impersonal verb forms.

The solution is simple, make every instance across every one of these 'languages' the correct one but it will never happen due to nigger mentality. Anyway I'm transitioning into writing everything in english so it doesn't matter anymore.
>>
>>8262725
what the heck, is that what a "cutter" looks like?
>>
>>8263016
Tyf op mulisch is fantastisch
>>
>>8263431

What do you think about JM Coetzee? Are his books translated into Afrikaans?
>>
File: 1463869613301.gif (2 MB, 300x345) Image search: [Google]
1463869613301.gif
2 MB, 300x345
>>8263533

That would have to be evaluated on an individual basis but as you are clearly biased in whatever country you are from's favor, I don't see this conversation going very far. Of course the most astute Slav is going to be more articulate than some yokel, and yes, the occasional Nabokov or Conrad does occur. But you are severely understating the psychological depth and attachment a native language has versus an acquired one. If you interact and use the language in a location where such a language is ubiquitous your understanding will be much fuller than if you just played some video games and watched some movies.

I happen to attend a university with such a specimen of E. European (a Romanian fluent in Romanian, Hungarian, German, and English) and though his mind and speech are intelligent, merely throw an otherwise common idiom at him or speak in an unusual cadence to watch him get lost. Even in his sharper moments, it's not unusual for him to be at a loss for words for an object like a backpack ("....that").

And so, I seriously doubt you have a native understanding of English.
>>
>>8262802
Dia duit!
I'm American currently learning Irish, so it could be hard for me to understand anything beyond an Irish 4 year old's vocabulary, be gentle, le do thoil
>>
I love my portuguese

NOBUNAGA: Linguagens são cidades invisíveis;
Algumas soam como construções
De barro, outras de ferro, outras de pedra,
Algumas de madeira, outras de gelo,
O português, porém, parece império
Modelado com seda ou com vapor de mármore.
Alguns dizem que línguas se assemelham
A criaturas vivas, a organismos;
Se fosse assim o português teria
Raios de sol nutrindo-o por veias
E a dócil luz e prata sussurrante
Do luar como os ossos que o sustentam.
O português ecoa, aos meus ouvidos,
Como o oceano, mas seu marolar
É temperado com baunilha, e não
Com sal: seus sons emanam a voz e hálito
Das sereias, porém tal mar de sílabas,
Se sabe deslizar manso e elegante
(Como as ondas que o vento não fermenta,
Qual anjo-fêmea a ronronar, clamando
Por carícias), também ousa explodir
E espumar como as águas em tormenta,
E então a fala agride, e corta, e estala,
A língua chicoteia, e ouvi-la é como
Se arrastar entre um espinheiro, sob sol tórrido.
Certas vezes, também, se soa sonolenta,
Ouvi-la é deslocar-se em meio a um atoleiro,
Qual no ventre abafado e vegetal
De uma selva. Jamais, porém, é amarga:
É perfumada como um laranjal,
E as palavras, seus frutos, tantas vezes doces,
Podem até por vezes abrigarem vespas,
Ou ter sumo agridoce, e não mel puro,
Porém jamais a língua portuguesa
Tem voz acre, roufenha, voz que lembra as bruxas.
>>
>>8264009
not only is your anecdotal evidence, albeit interesting, worthless to the argument you're trying to refute, idioms are generally not a good way to gauge native understanding of English.

Not only that, Europeans with native proficiency of a second language did not acquire that level by just 'playing some video games and watching some movies'
>>
>tfw the ugliest of the family

i think every 4chan anon can relate to what we hispanics feel when we speak in a multilingual environment.
>>
>>8262745
>Portuguese is ugly as fuck desu
maybe if you're brazilian
>>
>>8264170

Brazilian Portuguese is the most beautiful, no doubt about it: the vowels are more pronounced, more open: it sounds more like Italian, like a singing language.

In Portugal the vowels seem to be swallowed up, and the consonants have the most prominent sound, which makes it look something like Russian.
>>
>>8263163
don't you mean as a fourth language, mr. poo-in-loo?
>>
>>8262725
I do.
but I still feel inexplicably embarrassed/nervous when speaking it though.
>>
>>8264024
Ní mise an té sin, ach is iontach liom go bhfuil tú ag foghlaim Gaeilge ó Mheiriceá. Conas? Ó leabracha nó cláracha?
>>
>>8262790
>German

truly the language of kings. yeah some disgusting sounding words but german's pure freedom and ecstatic energy make it the goat. i love speaking and reading german and prefer to hold conversations in german rather than in my native english.

>>8263182
>he can't conjugate verbs
>>
>be Brazilian
>puts Manuel de Oliveira's "O Estranho Caso de Angélica" to watch
>can't assimilate any full sentence except those inputs from a BR character
What actual FUCK?
>>
>>8263256
Habermas, Zizek, Sloterdijk.
>>
File: 1430644405676.jpg (828 KB, 3000x2119) Image search: [Google]
1430644405676.jpg
828 KB, 3000x2119
The Raven is incredible in Hungarian. Just listen to it.

https://youtu.be/kNiPAwlUQx0
>>
>>8264212
Russian is a beautiful language, Brazilian sounds a lot like the pidgin languages from Portuguese colonies.
>>
>>8264365
African colonies, that is.
>>
>>8262725
Polish is pretty good for literature.

Too bad I rarely read books.
>>
>>8264009
>I happen to attend a university with such a specimen of E. European
>a new Himmler in the making
>>
>>8264370

Africa and indigenous peoples contributed to the Brazilian Portuguese with many beautiful words.
>>
>>8263163
>I sign off my emails with "Warmest Regards"
>>
>>8262725
>Spanish
Absolutely,we have Cervantes.
>>
>>8264355
>zizek
kek
>sloterdijk
double kek
>habermas
point taken.
>>
File: My-Bloody-Valentine11-1.jpg (18 KB, 156x175) Image search: [Google]
My-Bloody-Valentine11-1.jpg
18 KB, 156x175
>>8264108

The argument in question being a boastful claim of having native proficiency in a language consciously learned and acquired. In response to your overestimation of your linguistic ability, I merely provided my own personal experience and as no academic or scientific test I know of yet tests the validity of such a claim, I profess to not being able to offer a definitive nail in this coffin.

But as to your assertion that "idioms are no indication of native ability", I assert somewhat to the contrary. Idioms are only a particular instance. Examine the foundations of the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. A language is forged in its geography and culture; a lake, a river, a stream, an ocean are all imbued special significance by their signifiers. If we had time machines to trace back the specific origins of languages most primal and essential words, we would discover they are all basically regionalisms and idioms. An infant whose first word is "sunshine" continues to unconsciously build associations with in his native English language. He dreams in that language, he thinks in it almost hereditarily. It blurs the line between nature and nurture.

Though I'm sure your careful and erudite English is perfectly good, it would take an extraordinary upbringing, one steeped in the language from the cradle to the dinner table to the church sermon, for you to acquire this sort of unconscious creativity, and it is the selfsame thing that is the special attribute of a native speaker's use of his language. A non-native speaker of English could not write Ulysses*.

*I anticipate somebody will say Joyce is not a native speaker according to my definition because he was born in Ireland. His parents both spoke English.
>>
>>8264478
>A non-native speaker of English could not write Ulysses
This nativism of the monolingual anglo native is what forced nabokov to concoct the quite surreal claim that, in the early days of life, he was brought up in English by his Anglophile parents and even native-speaking maids.
In any of the major cities on the continent this disguise would have not been necessary: We are used to dream, pray and dine in languages that we have learnt five years ago (for the sake of a better paying job). For that is "hereditary".
>>
Swiss dialect. Yes, it's like a secret spy language. I can go anywhere in the world with my friend and talk Swiss and nobody will ever understand it. Most people haven't even heard it or know that it exists, they think we talk German.
It's a comfy feeling.
>>
File: de.jpg (19 KB, 500x386) Image search: [Google]
de.jpg
19 KB, 500x386
>>8263129
>>
>>8264618
Swiss is the thick co-- accent I would like to suck on.
>>
>Japanese
Fucking love it
>>
File: 1467127734117.jpg (148 KB, 2000x1334) Image search: [Google]
1467127734117.jpg
148 KB, 2000x1334
>>8264582

And other than Nabokov and Conrad, those extraordinary and special two exceptions to the rule, how many great prose stylists and poets of the English language has the continent bred, if indeed they are so frequently capable?

Concerning the great canon, I know only of those two.
>>
>>8264658
Ochinchin ga daisuki nandayo
>>
>>8262725

that fucking slit.
>>
>>8264645
>Deleuze
>making inferences about medical conditions based on post-structuralist, Hegelian and Marxist dialectics
>not from case studies, brain scans, and other actual research

"French intellectuals" everyone.
>>
>>8264690
Sure, speaking of madness implies CT scan

Read some books, instead of opening your filthy mouth
>>
>>8262725
My first language is brasilian portuguese

Not bad, but I don't find it very flexible like the english language, everything translating to english feels more natural than any other language, at least for me ( studying japanese, already know some french and german )

The sad thing is, english is a pretty primitive language, no bait or meme, you just don't fully use your mouth, some words are just vogals ( you is basically U ) like I recognize english is primitive, but at the same I fucking love the language, maybe its the popularity factor, but everything feels ok being translated by english, can't say same about my other languages ( still japanese to any western language is a pain to feel the same way, not even english can save it, sometimes I even prefer using portuguese or french when translating from japanese )
>>
>>8264758
*at the same time

was typing fast because I need to get back to work
>>
>Indonesian

Not at all.
>>
>>8264658
>a Jap on 4chin

The fuck are you doing here? Go back to 2ch, will ya?
>>
>>8264253
Duolingo, ach teastaíonn léim uaim nuair atá mé a rinneadh. Tá brón orm, má is mo Gaeilge dona.
>>
>>8264658
私は日本語を愛し
>>
>>8264997
>ach teastaíonn léim uaim nuair atá mé a rinneadh. Tá brón orm, má is mo Gaeilge dona.
Ní thuigim.
Tuigim go mbeadh an dara habairt "Tá brón orm, más mo Ghailge go dona" (I'm sorry if my Irish is bad) ach nílim cinnte faoin t-aonú abairt.
If and "is" contract to make "más", usually, though it also means "thigh". That one isn't an outright mistake, but you'll probably see más for conditional more often than má is. Likewise, negative conditionals like muna and mura crop up with bhfuil, instead of is. Using a conditional early on is pretty brave and the missing "go" before "dona" and the missing H in Gaeilge after "mo" would be noticed more than not contacting in that sentence, so you're not doing too bad.

dona works like maith, so "go maith" (well) and "go dona". You could also say "más uafásach mo Ghaeilge" (if my Irish is terrible) "más mo Ghaeilge mícheart" (if my Irish is wrong), but like "Tá sí go maith" (She is well) or "Tá sé go dona" (He/it is terrible) you need the "go" to describe your Irish for those constructions.

For uafásach, you'd say "Is uafásach é" (He/it is terrible), and that's handy if you want to use emotions without "ar" (orm, ort...) because you can do things like "Is áthasach í" (She is happy) instead of "Tá áthas uirthi". Take care with this method because "Tá uafás air" (He is terrified) is slightly different to "Is uafásach é" (He's terrible) but you'll probably see both constructions for emotions and adjectives.

The first one I really don't know what you were going for but I'll translate it into Irish for you if you give me the English.
>>
>>8265071
just to add, the "teastaíonn léim uaim" is clear, (I need to make a leap.) "preab" would also work instead of léim, but I don't know what you're trying to say with the second bit
>>
File: 1457682678848.png (61 KB, 576x507) Image search: [Google]
1457682678848.png
61 KB, 576x507
>>8262725

I wish I was that dog
>>
>>8262725
>Slav language
>sounds like a Romance one at first
>"nations" around us speak it, but call it differently
Serbian's a God amongst languages, and time will show
>>
>>8265314
>available in both latin and cyrillic scripts
>>
>português

Yes, actually. I wish I was a bit better with it though
>>
>>8265314
>sounds like a Romance one at first
It really doesn't
>>
>>8262725
Nothing can ever compare to your native language. No other set of symbols will be able to carry the same meaning as the one you were brought up with.
>>
Polish is great for novels and poetry, not so good for philosophy.
I should learn another language, not sure if I should learn French, or another slav language like Czech or Serbian.

>>8263002
and you'll never got any other literature than english and american lit, which isn't really the best or most important one.
>>
>>8263148
It's because you barely need to open your mouth to pronounce Danish words and because most words are spoken/can be spoken basically from the back of your mouth, or in any case without stressing your lips. Supposedly, Danish is a very tricky language if you're mouth-reading, as opposed to a language like German.
Furthermore, spoken Danish is usually highly alliterative, meaning that, as an outsider, you can't really tell where one word ends and another picks up, so basically it's a language for hymns and the like, and if you ever hear Danish poetry read aloud, e.g. Frederik Paludan-Moller or Sophus Claussen, the potato goes away.
>>
>>8263921
Serbo-Croatian (or whatever it's called)?
>>
>>8264618
I can go anywhere in the world with my friend and talk [insert 99% of the world's languages] and nobody will ever understand it.
>>
>>8263094

We're all speaking English here you dumb fuck
>>
>>8263360
Afrikaans is shit senpai, they should just teach us Dutch in school. But I'm not gonna argue with you 'cause you're probably from Bloem or some other shit hole
>>
File: bVP95zD.gif (462 KB, 500x260) Image search: [Google]
bVP95zD.gif
462 KB, 500x260
>>8264009
>And so, I seriously doubt you have a native understanding of English.
lmao. A lot people grow up with English, you know. We learned it in school in fucking kindergarten.
>>
File: dog.jpg (38 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
38 KB, 500x667
>>8265618
>we learned it in school in fucking kindergarten
>>
File: 1468062397026.gif (499 KB, 500x460) Image search: [Google]
1468062397026.gif
499 KB, 500x460
>>8265622
You quoted me. Good job.
>>
>>8265601
Exactly.
>>
File: 1420685768215.jpg (11 KB, 223x268) Image search: [Google]
1420685768215.jpg
11 KB, 223x268
>>8265629
Man, 'we learned it in school in fucking kindergarten' doesn't fucking make sense, you just proved >>8264009 right and you're totally oblivious, good job on making an ass of yourself
>>
File: 1465725832993.png (177 KB, 697x768) Image search: [Google]
1465725832993.png
177 KB, 697x768
>>8265633
>taking 4chan this seriously
>>
File: internet arguments.png (15 KB, 528x434) Image search: [Google]
internet arguments.png
15 KB, 528x434
>>8265640
Thanks, you can leave now
>>
File: i1vzjrg.gif (1005 KB, 351x263) Image search: [Google]
i1vzjrg.gif
1005 KB, 351x263
>>8265646
>>
>>8265071
>>8265090
Thank you for the tips, Duolingo is a website used for learning other languages. By the way, I meant "léim" as in "I read", which is what Duolingo taught me "I read" was. I don't know if that's incorrect or not but Duolingo is a very large and credible website so I took their word for it.
>>
File: 1534235235.jpg (18 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1534235235.jpg
18 KB, 300x300
>>8265651
the USSR would've won the space race with your buttblast
>>
>>8262966
>Soren
>>
File: 1468064009977.gif (1000 KB, 500x525) Image search: [Google]
1468064009977.gif
1000 KB, 500x525
>>8265656
USA could have gotten to Mars with yours alone
>>
>>8265659
Just because I can pronounce his name doesn't mean I can spell it.
>>
>>8265655
In that context, it means jump. Léim does mean I read, from the verb léigh, but teastaigh [rud éigin] ó is usually with a noun. (eg. Theastaigh airgid uaidh is "he needed money".)

It's like with más being a contraction of if and is in context, but meaning thigh when used as a noun.

I'd recommend getting some kids books, and not relying on duolingo, because context means a lot in Irish. Folens publish kids picture books in Irish by grade, and CJ Fallon have a series called Bun go Barr which is also graded.

If you can find them, and it might be hard because I think you can only get them secondhand if at all any more, there's a series where all the titles are Tig Liom, Bog Liom, Gluais Liom, Siúil Liom, Rith Liom, which are also primary school level (I might have the order wrong) and have questions at the end of each section. They were replaced by the Bun go Barr series I think, but they've slightly harder and older Irish than the Folens/Fallon books and less child like presentation. The Folens books are mostly pictures because they are for four year old kids, but they're very good for getting basic constructions down. The Bun go Barr books have comprehension questions after each section, so you can test yourself, and I think they have a CD range too so you can hear it.

I don't know what duolingo is like, but google translate for Irish you should avoid like the plague until you're ready to laugh at the hilarious things it thinks are translations.
>>
>>8265373
this man knows
>>
>>8265655
Léim is I read, but it's a conjugation of the verb léigh, in this instance it looks like you were using it as a noun so you'd need to say léamh. It looks like you were using the word for jump which is also léim.

I don't know what you're trying to say by rinneadh, perhaps done?

If you want to say "I need to read" there are a few ways

>Ní mór dom léamh
>Tá orm léamh
>Is éigean dom
>Tá léamh uaim
>Teastaíonn léamh uaim
>Caithfidh mé léamh
>Is gá dom léamh

These have slight semantic differences but they essentially mean the same thing, they are more or less in the order I'd be likely to use them, though I'm from Galway and different dialects will have different ways of speaking.

If you're trying to say "I need to read when I'm done" I would say

Ní mór dom léamh agus é sin déanta agam.

Irish is an easy enough language, it'll be harder for foreigners as a lot of the phrasing and syntax we'd use naturally in english and foreigners wouldn't be familiar with it. That said it's still not too difficult. The hardest parts to get used to are probably lenition/ellipsis and conjugated prepositions which are also some of the most interesting features so you'll get used to them.

There are Gaeilge threads fairly regularly on /int/
>>
>>8264212
Most Brazilians sound pleb as fuck now.

French speakers pronouncing Portuguese is the most beautiful Portuguese accent.
>>
>>8265690
You can't write in your native language?
Damn mand...
>>
>>8265714
When I was in Lebanon I met load of people who couldn't read arabic script. They had all been to French, British or American schools
>>
>>8265712
>There are Gaeilge threads fairly regularly on /int/
Ar fheabhas, níorbh fhios agam (mise >>8265704) Cheapas go raibh /int/ /pol/ beag, an bhfuil éinne líofa ann? Is as an Mumhan mé agus níor chualas "Tá orm léamh" riamh ach chualas "Is orm" cinnte. B'fheidir is an canúint é?
>>
>>8264365
>Russian is a
...vulgar language. I've heard it spoken by and have spoken to Real Russian speakers. The number of obscenities used in everyday language is through the roof.
>>
>>8262802
I was hoping to see another Irish fag here
>>
>native language irrelevant in the world
>not proficient enough in English to write

fated to obscurity
>>
>>8265314
it might be phonemic and digraphic but it's still harsh and awkward, and has terrible flow
>>
>>8265733
>as...mé
*dom
jfc bearlachas
>>
File: autpartner.jpg (10 KB, 328x168) Image search: [Google]
autpartner.jpg
10 KB, 328x168
>>8265733
/s4s/ beag, déarfainn. Tá beirt nó triúir ann atá liofa, ar laghad. Tá Ultach ann atá liofa agus duine eile ó Ghaillimh. Ní fhaca mé riamh éinne as cúige Mumhan. B'fhéidir gur eisean >>8262802
duine astu.

Níl Gaeilge a'am ó dhúchais ach is féidir liom labhairt go minic.

>B'fheidir is an canúint é?
Is dócha.

>>8265742
there's a rake of us on /lit/. I blame Joyce.
>>
>>8263576
Not needed desu when the verbs contain them already.
>>
>>8265744
you seemed to do fine just now
>>
Yeah, i like russian language and also ukrainian. To bad that i know only two slavic languages, id like to speak also polish, czech, theyre quite good.
>>
>>8265314
>>sounds like a Romance one at first
It doesn't
>>"nations" around us speak it, but call it differently
epic
>Serbian's a God amongst languages, and time will show
Your delusions are almost sad. Pali traktor.
>>
>>8263225
I call bullshit. Buffalo buffalo buffalo, and even Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo, but I don't think snowflakes snow flakes.
>>
>>8262725
>Norwegian
Not a big fan, there's some good literature but as a language I like English better. I don't know enough about linguistics to explain it but I've thought in English since I was 16 and it is just easier to phrase. Studying in the UK, being a lot online, reading books/comics/manga only found in English and speaking to myself a lot means I use the language more than Norwegian even when living at home.
>>
>>8265793
I don't think he meant writing 4chan posts, anon.
>>
>>8265787
Bhíos líofa de bharr mo sheanathair ach is marbh é anois. Ba Gaelinn álainn aosta aige ach níl an iomarcha daoine a labhríonn í mar shin linn níos mó. Bheadh eagla orm go rachfaidh í amú orm i measc an gcaighdéan oigifiúil, ach is leath caillte í agam anois ar aon nós.
>/s4s/ beag
sáriontach
>I blame Joyce.
I blame Flann :P
>>
>>8262725
Swiss german is pretty bad.
Of the four languages I speak, it's easily my least favourite. If switzerland wasn't such a comfortable country, I'd be gone in a heartbeat.
>>
>>8263906
Marocco tornatene a casa

Italian is great, macedonian lacks literature
>>
>>8265839
Bhí mo ghaeilge níos fearr ná atá anois, ach tá mé in ann labhairt beagnach chuile seachtain. Is fuath liom an caighdeán chomh maith, ach ní dheacair litríocht a fháil i ngaeilge chonnacht

>I blame Flann
Ar léigh tú an béal bocht?
>>
>>8265714
I just had a hjerneblodning trying to write Soren. Somehow I wrote Soren.
>>
>>8265895
Lolwut I can't write o with a line through O.o
æoå
>>
>Hungarian
I love it, it is beautiful, too bad it is useless and no one speaks it.
>>
>>8265898
Velkommen til 4kanal, nyvenn.
>>
>>8265919
Tak!
Hvad gór jeg?
>>
File: hiraeth.png (2 MB, 990x600) Image search: [Google]
hiraeth.png
2 MB, 990x600
>No based Welsh
>>
>>8265914

I do, anon...
>>
>>8265914
>>8265941

me too
>>
>>8262725
>Mandarin
Not for literature to any remarkable extent or for any other recreational thing but damn the business opportunities are a godsend. Well, for my older brother at least, I don't have any credentials
>>
>>8265588
Yes

Basically it would need to be repurposed with a non-nigger-trigger name. Hague Tribunal had "BHS" moniker for it, perhaps that's the way to go.
>>
>>8265879
Léigh mé é is as Béarla freisin. B'fhearr liom é as an nGaelinn mar rinne sé fonóid maith ar an nGaeilge na Blascaodaí srl. is freisin ar an gcaighdéan ach as Béarla ní fheidir leat meas é ag maghadh Peig nó An tOileanach faoina gcuid cainte comh láidir is a bhfuil sé ag maghadh na Gaeilgeoírí ón Bhaile.

Cuireann é sin i gcuimhne dom: an bhfaca tú riamh "No Béarla"? www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyll-bBZzyk
>>
>French

> Great literature
> Great poetry
> Sounds nice
> Feelsgoodman.jpg

>>8265948

Why do people say this? Doesn't China have outstanding literature?
>>
>>8265928
går igen
>>
>>8264478
I don't quite understand how you can justify using Joyce's oeuvre, which is notoriously complex and experimental , deconstructing words only to reassemble them in a whirlpool of disjointed etymologies of words to create an 'abnihilfication of the ethym' as joyce puts it etc. as an example of the inability of a foreign language speaker to write as a native speaker.

I can't stress this enough, joyce's work is unadulterated genius which only a few people could ever dream of matching, let alone emulate.

Regarding the issue of idioms I would say that a speaker's knowledge of them depends largely on the upbringing and the social milieu one grows up in.They're certainly not something that only a native speaker can have a genuine affinity with. Certain colleagues of mine, far from being morons, and despite being native Dutch speakers, tend to scratch their heads in confusion when they come across certain idioms.

Finally, there are plenty of examples in literature of authors writing marvellous works in their second or third languages. Nabokov and Conrad are tossed around here fairly often. I could add , off the top of my head , Kundera, Cioran and Beckett who despite not being French nationals wrote , or are still writing exquisite literature. Simon Leys

Learning and mastering a language is steeping yourself into the culture that used said language. As your understanding of the culture grows so will your vocabulary and you tend to pick up on the nuances of the language and appreciate it that much more than if you were to read a translation.

For instance: the works of Evelyn Waugh are so inextricably linked to British English that I could scarce imagine it being translated without it losing its charm.

I will agree with you that people tend to exaggerate their proficiency in English and that the spark of creativity and ability to play with a language is easier to attain for a native speaker. It is by no means impossible for a foreign speaker to acquire a level at least on par with English natives. We will never reach the level of Joyce but as mentioned many times before, neither will the overwhelming majority of English authors.
>>
>>8266032
Pleb what are you doing?
>>
>>8266033
This anon gets it. Another author who doesn't get thrown a lot is Isak Dinesen/Karen Blixen, whose short story, Babette's Feast, is so steeped in allusions and contains so many clever plays on words that there's no doubt that it was originally intended as English literature, even though he/she'd later translate them into Danish on his/her own.
Like when one of the characters says of his determination to attend said feast that 'if no boat would take him, he would come to them walking upon the waves', alluding to Matt. 14.26 where, in the English Bible, they see Jesus walking on the waves but think it's a 'spirit', the word spirit and related words being paradigmatic in Babette's Feast, but they do not see a 'spirit' in the Danish Bible -- they see a 'spogelse' (ghost), of uncertain etymology but probably cognate with German 'Spuk'/English 'Spook', although the word has different connotations in Danish (the German Bible has a 'Gespenst', which is related to a sense of temptation).
>>
>>8263002
you stay with your shakespeare, i will be ok with my dostoyevsky
>>
Fucking swiss german is the retarded little brother of german that doesn't even have any grammar. Literally.
>>
>>8263129
sartre says "hi"
>>
>>8266194
yeah it's almost as if it's a dialect
>>
>Serbian

V-vowels are for pussies a-anyway.
>>
>>8263906
So you speak Maltese?
>>
File: 1466719184228.jpg (141 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1466719184228.jpg
141 KB, 680x680
>>8263002
My parents sent me from Monaco to a boarding school in England when I was a child.

I can understand anything written in English at the same level as a native speaker desu senpai.
>>
>>8266417
who are (you)?
blogposting frogposting autist
gtfo
>>
>>8265965
>Basically it would need to be repurposed with a non-nigger-trigger name. Hague Tribunal had "BHS" moniker for it, perhaps that's the way to go.
i don't get it, who is getting triggered by the name Serbo-Croatian?

>literally suggesting that we rule ourselves by a foreign institution in deciding how to call our language
do you even linguistics bro
>>
>>8266441
>its another redditor tries to fit in by writting buzzwords post
>>
>>8266446
and we're trapped
one can say "i've been here for years" but then i'm the blogposter
well played
let us retreat into the background, though, shall we, blogposter?
>>
>>8263932
>een schrijver
Bevestigt dat mijn punt niet?
>>
>>8262725
>Arabic
>Armenian
yea guess so i really like Arabic not that much with Armenian
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.