[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>why yes, I believe that those interested the humanities should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: 1467859981845.jpg (65 KB, 370x494) Image search: [Google]
1467859981845.jpg
65 KB, 370x494
>why yes, I believe that those interested the humanities should be forced to study the hard sciences! No more uneducated writers and philosophers, and furthermore they must engage in manual labour! Thus we will produce truly well-rounded men of wisdom and knowledge.

Is my fedora ironic? We will never know.
>>
>>8262630

I believe everybody wishing to study at the tertiary level should be forced to take a year in math, logic and philosophy. The essential problem with humanities these days is the lack of rigour, which comes from a lack of understanding of anything having to do with proper reasoning or epistemology etc.
>>
I believe that waiters should tip customers who make less than them
>>
File: 1464360043037.png (122 KB, 1259x443) Image search: [Google]
1464360043037.png
122 KB, 1259x443
>>8262630
>>
File: knawlidge_for_dummies.png (1011 KB, 1182x1075) Image search: [Google]
knawlidge_for_dummies.png
1011 KB, 1182x1075
>>8262644
I believe that intellectuals should tip waiters with free knowledge instead of money. Incidentally I put this in to practice every time I go to a restaurant, to set an example and a precedent for the other intellectuals around me.
>>
>>8262630
Yes it's ironic, I'm sure.

But so many fags on /pol/ and /sci/ and Reddit think STEM is the only worthwhile education. I see shit like this posted unironically often enough.

I agree with >>8262633 education should be more broad and well-rounded for both humanities majors and STEMfags. When I picked up my first book after going through my STEM degree I realized I could barely read literature with any depth. My vocabulary was terrible.
>>
Great book relating to this tread called Education's End by Anthony something.
>>
>>8262630
>No more uneducated writers and philosophers
How many great writers and philosophers have the humanities produced in the modern era?
>>
>>8262765
This is the problem right here, people with humanities degrees aren't doing enough to showcase themselves despite the fact the government subsidises them to such a ridiculous degree.
>>
>>8262630
I mostly unironically agree. Everyone should be fairly proficient in at least the basics of math, science ("hard" and "soft"), literature, history, and philosophy.

I don't think manual labor is necessary, but some form of exercise is required for a well balanced life.

I'm in STEM (EE) and being surrounded by skinny guys who think Toni Morrison's prose is impenetrable without the aid of a teacher is absolute pain.
>>
>>8262633
>The essential problem with humanities these days

what exactly is your experience with "humanities these days"?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.