[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to know everything. Is this pursuit possible? is it pointless?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: .png (405 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
.png
405 KB, 600x400
I want to know everything. Is this pursuit possible? is it pointless?
>>
Impossible and mostly pointless and juvenile
>>
Naw, you'll most likely have everything figured out by the time you're 14-15 years old.
Watch a lot of movies and play video games. You'll know everything real soon.
>>
>>8261519
ask Hegel
>>
>>8261519
I have much compassion for Obama when seeing this picture
>>
>>8261575
it's called being human. shit's gonna happen to you too famalam
>>
>>8261519
what would that even mean?
>>
>>8261531

this is true horror writing. well done anon
>>
>>8261522
why is the pursuit of knowledge juvenile?
>>
He looks better now, kek.
>>
The journey to knowing everything is the point.

>Travel it and see...
>>
There's not enough time.
>>
>>8261519
>is it pointless

The fact that you even asked this indicates a lack of mental clout to understand much of anything
>>
Th last polymaths lived 250 years ago and there's a reason for that.
>>
>>8261519
read Atanas Dalchev, my man
>>
>>8261519
no; yes.
(however knowing many things allows one to draw fruitful connections)
gtfo
>>
>>8261586
this doesn't happen to a normal human after 8 years.
>>
>>8262099
Information on this? I'm interested on the subject.
>>
Didn't you ever see Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?
>>
In a way, you already know everything. We all do. "Everything" just gets bigger.
>>
>>8261531

Wow anon, that's almost exactly how I learned everything; though I have read a few books too.

I never thought I'd never meet someone else as smart as I am.
>>
>>8261519
Not possible (obviously) but definitely not pointless. I mean I guess if you have the money or a very simple job, you could devote your life to just acquiring knowledge. Honestly that sounds pretty awesome, just spending hours a day reading books and learning about literally anything you want. If you have the patience then go for it
>>
People tend to exaggerate the amount of knowledge around. I mean, sure, you cannot anymore know everything about every subject known to man, but you can attain a level of proficiency in practically every one of those subjects to be able to follow the latest research to a degree.

Only problem: decades and decades of studying. Say goodbye to your personal life if you choose to pursue this road.
>>
>>8261519
Even putting aside memory limits, there might be forms of knowledge, or perception, that are closed to you. And if you can't see them, you don't know that you can't. So, even if you hypothetically did know every fact, you couldn't be sure of the existence of unkown unknowns. So you wouldn't know that you knew everything for sure. Bang.
>>
I think I'm pretty close, but you gotta have some mad brain stuff going on up there man.

Like, you're imagining some serious brain stuff right now? Yeah, it's probably even more than that.
>>
>>8261746
Because it's pointless and oblivious about human needs and limitations
>>
File: Parmenides.jpg (20 KB, 283x370) Image search: [Google]
Parmenides.jpg
20 KB, 283x370
>>8261519
Pro-tip: The self as seperate from everything else is an illusion, you actually are everything, and thereby you contain all the information there is, so you already know everything, you just don't know that you know.

Welcome home senpai you're God.
>>
>>8262544
Reptilian confirmed.
>>
>>8261575

>compassion
>neoliberal jackass
>promulgator of surveillance police state
>drones
>only redeeming quality is that he's a lower order of crypto-fascist than everyone else in Washington
>spent a billion dollars of idiots' money to get the job
>he wanted this

You're a better man than I, Anon.
>>
File: tumblr_nnhnjg449D1qiyexoo1_1280.png (109 KB, 740x738) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nnhnjg449D1qiyexoo1_1280.png
109 KB, 740x738
>>8262668
>>
File: lucifer.jpg (32 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
lucifer.jpg
32 KB, 480x480
So did he.
>>
>>8261519
of course it is possible
just start in the top left corner here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Contents/A%E2%80%93Z_index
and when you have worked through all the articles down to the bottom right corner, you'll know everything

well
that's assuming nobody adds anything to any of the sections that you've already read, while you're in the process
but i don't think there''s much chance of that happening
>>
>>8261746
nice strawman. the pursuit of knowledge about everything is juvenile
>>
>>8261538
Hegel denied existence what would that hack know?

The guy OP needs is Socrates. Time to start with the Greeks so you can reconstruct him.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.