[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any good books about war that aren't anti-war
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: 1461270637187.jpg (62 KB, 736x587) Image search: [Google]
1461270637187.jpg
62 KB, 736x587
Are there any good books about war that aren't anti-war but rather talk about the routine and the camaraderie between soldiers? Something similar to the general feeling of generation kill
>>
Ernst Jünger
>>
Beetle Baily by Mort Walker
For Whom The Bell Tolls by Hemmingway
The Good Soldier Svejk by Jaroslav Hasek (sorta anti-war, but it's not all up in your face about it)
>>
kind of anti war, but anti war by focusing on camaraderie
Catch 22 (one of those love it or hate it things)
Going after Cacciato
>>
>>8259605
>>8259620
this
storm of steel
>>
We Were Soldiers Once ......and Young & Starship Troopers.

I haven't read it yet but you could possibly look into Tin Can Soldiers.
>>
Stupid smelly nationalist scum
>>
>>8259605
the one section of disturbing the peace by richard yates (120 pages or so)

the parts of farewell to arms that aren't boring

dispatches but that's anti war
>>
Baden Powell
>>
File: 1450618329163.jpg (24 KB, 308x448) Image search: [Google]
1450618329163.jpg
24 KB, 308x448
>>8259747
>>
>>8259862
>he thinks it's bait
Do you know where you are?
>>>/pol/
>>
do you seriously think Generation Kill wasn't an "anti-war" book?

I bet you and your dumbass dad think "On The Waterfront" is an anti-union movie too
>>
File: Dispatches.jpg (45 KB, 250x378) Image search: [Google]
Dispatches.jpg
45 KB, 250x378
>>8259605
This is pretty good OP, read it.
War by S. Junger is good as well.
Not strictly about the war, but perhaps you'll like R. Stone's Dog Soldiers too.
Meditations in Green by some dude whose name I can't recall was goo as well.
>>
>>8259640
For Whom the Bell Tolls really does just focus on war stuff, and isn't for or against it. It's just a book about a guy that has to blow a bridge.
>>
>>8260112
op probably hates brown people though
>>
File: 1467597631952.jpg (15 KB, 320x290) Image search: [Google]
1467597631952.jpg
15 KB, 320x290
>>8260076
Maybe I should've clarified and said that I was looking for books that don't express their political views and just talk about soldiers everyday lives, but I guess you just wanted to sound smart and show me how I don't understand books as good as you do.
>>
>>8260323
Little to no brown people in my country so I don't really care about them, I don't have a specific reason to hate them, but I don't like them either.
>>
>>8259620
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check 'em out
>>
>>8259605
The Iliad
>>
>>8260354
The average life of the vast majority of soldiers is to hate the prospect of war and to want nothing to do with it. Where do you think fragging and PTSD come from? Obviously psychopaths like that Owen guy exist but look what happened to him, he was an insane narcissist and got killed by his friend in a gun club. Any that says they're "pro" war is legitimately insane, gets money out of it, or is fighting for a legitimate cause, and I don't mean that fake ass "fighting to protect our freedom" bullshit Americans pretend to believe, but even that is questionable.
>>
>>8260354
Shaggy didn't smoke
>>
>>8261166
>Nobody is allowed to like war, and if you do you'll be diagnosed with an outdated mental illness
K...
>>
>>8261166
> you: _)_) `blah blah blah'
>>
>>8261508
Nobody likes war. People used to pretend they did so they wouldn't look cucked by the government. Now they don't care. End of story.
>>
>>8261166
Well men have been going to wars for centuries and it was never pretty but it was normal. I would say that boys and men are always drawn to the excitement of battle and see it as an adventure, so I don't agree that all soldiers should hate the war because there are people that like it and they are not psychopaths.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.