[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was a book with a really interesting premise that was in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: 18007564.jpg (154 KB, 313x475) Image search: [Google]
18007564.jpg
154 KB, 313x475
What was a book with a really interesting premise that was in the end ruined by the poor story telling of the author.

Pic related.
>>
Tbh
>>
I think alot of "post-post-modern" stuff falls under this category. Talkin' about stuff like House of Leaves.
>>
>>8257879
The premise wasn't even that interesting. One guy being stuck on an uninhabited planet is pretty boring. If it was played straight instead of pandering to the reddit crowd, it would've never blown up the way it did and you still wouldn't like it.
>>
>>8257907
How is it pandering to the reddit crowd? Honest question.
>>
>>8257879
reddit general?
>>
fahrenheti 451
neuromancer
kite runner
>>
>>8257958

Firstly, it was the way it had tried to figure things out semi-scientifically. For the cosmo pseudos on Reddit that is catnip.

Then the language was this cringe worthy internet crap. Whereas most people would see something like "for the win" in a book and go "oh god". Reddit goes "wow, my special phrase in a book!"
>>
>>8257907
The premise would've been good if it aimed to be literary fiction rather than genre fiction. Character study of a guy in complete isolation on a different plannet, the way his psyche changes over time and so on. Then limited contact with Earth again, how's that gonna impact him? A proper writer could go far with this. Imagine someone like Nabokov tackling the concept.

>>8257980
>>8257958

>“The screen went black before I was out of the airlock. Turns out the “L” in “LCD” stands for “Liquid.” I guess it either froze or boiled off. Maybe I’ll post a consumer review. “Brought product to surface of Mars. It stopped working. 0/10.”

>“[11:49] JPL: What we can see of your planned cut looks good. We’re assuming the other side is identical. You’re cleared to start drilling. [12:07] Watney: That’s what she said. [12:25] JPL: Seriously, Mark? Seriously?”

>“You know what? "Kilowatt-hour per sol" is a pain in the ass to say. I'm gonna invent a new scientific unit name. One kilowatt-hour per sol is... it can be anything... um... I suck at this... I'll call it a "pirate-ninja".”

>“WATNEY: Look! A pair of boobs! -> (.Y.).”
>>
File: The-Road.jpg (306 KB, 1143x1600) Image search: [Google]
The-Road.jpg
306 KB, 1143x1600
>>8257997
They got Matt Damon to star in that?

Pic related is a good example. Despite being a sucker for depressing shit, this felt boring and repetitive, just a man and his son walk down a road for 200 pages, never talking about anything except how much their feet hurt. It's the literary equivalent of eva 3.0
>>
>>8257997
as a mecheng-biology stuent, I really enjoyed the technical stuff.
But holy shit the forced geekdom was so painful.
>>
File: 1391638443264.jpg (39 KB, 412x352) Image search: [Google]
1391638443264.jpg
39 KB, 412x352
>>8257969
>Fahrenheit 451
Fuckin this. Bradbury was a shit-tier author, vastly overrated.
>>
>>8259497
Gotta agree. The whole book felt a little bit forced.
>>
>>8258016
Was going to post this. Ending was lousy.
>>
>>8259511
Bradbury also complained that people interpreted the book wrong, their interp. being censorship/free speech, his intention being books becoming obsolete in the future. He purportedly walked out of a lecture because people were telling him he, the author, was wrong about what the book was about.

I can't blame the "wrong" interpretation though, because all the book really did was complain about butthurt minorities. This, IMO, is much preferable to the author's intent. His was basic was uncontroversial. The other ideal was much more angry, progressive and revolutionary.
>>
>>8259628
An accidental masterpiece
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.