[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the most depressing, soul-sucking book you've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Depressing_lit.jpg (265 KB, 1000x1400) Image search: [Google]
Depressing_lit.jpg
265 KB, 1000x1400
What's the most depressing, soul-sucking book you've ever read and why? Pic related.
>>
>>8256690
The only thing depressing about the Book of Disquiet is that I paid $10 for it

Post-war Jap lit as a whole is pretty fucking depressing their culture considered. The end of The Sound of Waves struck me pretty hard especially, but the ones listed here are certainly good too
>>
>>8256690
Skylark is pretty sad
The End of the Affair and The Power and the Glory
A Little Life is basically designed to make you feel awful
Jude the Obscure
Anything by Hubert Selby
Shake Hands with the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda
Execution by Hunger by Miron Dolot
The Decay of the Angel
Underground by Murakami

and in first place, The Remains of the Day.
>>
>>8256724
How did you like The Sound of Waves? Its the only Mishima book at my local bookstore and it doesn't seem as popular as his other works
>>
>>8256690
120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade
>>
File: 138760209893.png (27 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
138760209893.png
27 KB, 400x400
If someone says Crime and Punishment ITT...
>>
>>8256738
The Sound of Waves was awesome. While it has Mishima's typical tone and atmosphere, it's a lot less specialized than his more popular stuff. Instead of focusing on one event or one person as much as Temple/Mask did, the book is a pretty good representation of a small Japanese island village and how (little) the war changed it.

I like it more for that representation rather than the coming-of-age plot, but the book is definitely readable and enjoyable.
>>
the jungle
vanity fair
>>
My diary, desu.
>>
>>8256765
That took longer than expected
>>
A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
(not being ironic)
Also the moment in Moby Dick where Ahab has a bit of lucidity and considers going home always gives me the feels.
>>
I cried a lot at The Magic Mountain, Lolita and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.