[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /lit/ Long story short, I can't write for shit. I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: sad_pepe.jpg (23 KB, 385x385) Image search: [Google]
sad_pepe.jpg
23 KB, 385x385
Hi /lit/

Long story short, I can't write for shit. I have a mass amount of ideas in my head and I imagine full on stories in worlds and stories and everything needed for a good book but I absolutely can not write. I just draw a blank even if I have the idea in my head. I want to write, or draw, or do something to convey these thoughts on to paper but I have no skills whatsoever. Please helps
>>
>>8254034
Paint
>>
"get good"
>>
>>8254034
Practice.
Try copying authors that you read, if they aren't extremely stylized.
>>
>>8254099
This. Every author in history has to some degree been a plagiarist. You gotta be a good plagiarist, though. Take from plenty and make it your own.
>>
>I can't ride a bike I'm so clumsy, I fall everytime!

Practice, it's going to be shit, you are going to hate everything you write but if you continue you will eventually hit a spot and actually like what you write.

Read a lot, if you want to be a good writer you have to be a great reader, this will extend your vocabulary and give you general ideas on how to develop histories and the general technical stuff of everything you want to write.

Also get critiziced by other people, post here, post on other forums, go to RL and try going places where people read stuff out loud there must be a place, it is important that you learn to take only constructive criticism and don't be a fucking faggot and take it personal.

Good luck, hope this helps a bit anon.
>>
>>8254111
>>>8254099
>This. Every author in history has to some degree been a plagiarist. You gotta be a good plagiarist, though. Take from plenty and make it your own.

How do you plagiarize while also making it your own? Genuinely curious
>>
they're not good ideas if you don't have details, because they probably rely on shortcut thinking and intellectual laziness. without details you don't have a book.
>>
>>8254360
Look at the Greats to see it
Read Metamorphoses by Ovid and then read Shakespeare in general

Read Homer then Joyce

Read Eliot then Woolf
>>
>>8254373
Could you elaborate on what you mean by details?
>>
>>8254360
Write it again after you've plagiarized it.
I've heard great things about straight up writing the works again, to get into the mindset and flow of the prose.
>>
>>8254034

i'd recommend post-pumping and just yolowriting. you'll get better all the time. like when i first started writing poetry at first i had to count my meter but now i don't pay attention to syllables at all because it comes naturally

i have similar issues with not being able to start anything, or more specifically not being able to get past a single chapter

i'm in the process of writing the world's longest (troll)fic though and i'm hoping by the end of it i'll have motivation and the ability to just write

narcissism might help too if you can ingrain extreme self-worth and the idea that greatness is your destiny in your subconscious
>>
>>8254487
How does one become a narcissist?

Or what if i have 0 self confidence? How can I trick myself into becoming a narcissist
>>
>>8254531

being consciously aware of how stupid most people are and seeing things you've done can help instill pride

but ultimately it's all mental. IMO self-confidence shouldn't NEED any material basis since it's supposed to be self-confidence, not confidence in your own achievements or confidence in other peoples' relative stupidity. though artificial stimulants can be a good first step.

ego is a self-fulfilling prophecy because the more you have, the easier it will be to cultivate it, the easier it will be to look down on people, etc. lack of self-confidence is a self-fulfilling prophecy, as is confidence. take what you know you will achieve (namely, your good book ideas), and use that as a position of power from where you can feel self-confident. ultimately the only things you need are motivation and confidence
>>
>>8254543
Thanks, I appreciate the advice
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.