[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/, What did you think about this book back in the day
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Catcher-in-the-rye-2.jpg (371 KB, 1089x1600) Image search: [Google]
Catcher-in-the-rye-2.jpg
371 KB, 1089x1600
Hey /lit/,

What did you think about this book back in the day when you read it, and what do you think about it today?

Do you consider it overestimated or is it worthy of all praise and hype it had since it went off?

Also general discussion
>>
I'm actually reading it right now. I'm about half way through. Holden just told the elevator pimp to bring up a hooker.
>>
This guy sums it up pretty well I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5jiTs1sr0s
>>
It's a great book. It's wasted on highschoolers because all they get out of it is either "You shouldn't be like Holden" or "Holden is soo relatable".
Redditors call Holden whiny but don't seem to care that it's an amazing character study of a broken person and don't seem to acknowledge how sad the character story is. He is dealing with the death of a brother for crying out loud.
>>
>>8253998
I guess this guy doing the review didn't bother to understand what holden didn't say in the book. He lost his brother and he couldn't find in himself anymore what he was searching due to what happened to him in his life, but at the final scene of the story he tells he finds it in his little sister
>>
>>8254020
Yes indeed
It is a great coming of age story. I believe JD Salinger did holden as whiny guy on purpose, to be honest. Even though he seems lost and bored sometimes, the atmosphere his mood creates fits very well on what he meant to say in almost every dialog and monologue he has
>>
hated it when we read it for class, then i read it again that summer and i loved it. i'd like to read it again sometime.
>>
>>8253988
What did you think about it so far?
>>
So what? He aid it wasn't a bad book. The fact that it has some subtext doesn't automatically catapult it into the stratospheric heights of Canon literature.
>>
>>8253938
It was my favorite novel when I was 12, then as I got older it held less of a purpose. In reality it's just a good book overhyped because some edgy faggot killed Lennon after reading it

>inb4 phoebe was raped
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.