[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>can only write when someone else gives me the plot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 383599497.jpg (250 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
383599497.jpg
250 KB, 600x600
How do I /plot/? I fucking can't think of a story myself.
>>
Start with a literary/existential problem that interests you and write the solution
>>
>>8252843
plots do not happen in real life
>>
>>8252843
This. Seek inspiration through experience.
>>
>>8252847
example

-- what happens after death?

or

-- how did a flight steward, a toddler, and the head of state wind up in a burning building together?
>>
>>8252843
I don't play video games nor do I watch anime.

I just can't find a proper story line no matter how hard I think.
I can use an event from my life, I guess. Never thought of doing that unless really desperate.

>>8252847
That seems like an alright idea for a practice.
>>
>>8252832

You don't think of a plot. You think of an interesting situation. And try to expand it into a full story.

For an example: when people write the scripts for shows like Law and Order, they don't say "what should the plot be?". They start with a situation that sounds unique and interesting and fun, like "what if this murder is connected to some underground cult that had blood rituals?". And then they write a story based off that.
>>
>>8252870
Thanks for the advice.
>>
Write a short story about a waitress at an intergalactic diner.

Post results
>>
>>8252832
Why don't you just find a good plotter who can't put sentences together and form a writing team?
>>
Inb4 >plot doesbt matter

Repeated a million fucking times.

Stories come from within you, they are kind of uncovered after lots of thought and daydreaming.

You can't force them. Read a book, day dream a little, and a plot will come to you.
>>
>>8252832
As an "imagination practice", just take the CORE CONCEPT of someone else's plot and add a new element or major change, or even try to merge plots. For example, what if you made a small story that was like "I have no mouth but I must scream" but IN SPACE, or even better, 2001: Odyssey mixed with IHNMBIMS?

Another practice is to go to https://www.randomlists.com/random-words
generate some words and base a story around some you selected
>>
Read Aristotle's Poetics.

Not even memeing. Took a screenwriting class for fun and teacher brought that up first lesson.
>>
>>8252832
Plot is for hacks, just take an Icelandic saga or a greek tragedy, insert setting here and dose it with some P R O S E
>>
>>8254679
This. The work I'm currently focusing on is a mesh of two Final Fantasy games and a shonen anime.
>>
try sticking your finger in your butt as you think for a plot
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.