[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ugh What the fuck did I just read. A fucking turd Did Auster
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Turd.jpg (41 KB, 316x500) Image search: [Google]
Turd.jpg
41 KB, 316x500
Ugh
What the fuck did I just read. A fucking turd
Did Auster write any book worth reading or should I just never read anything from him ever again?

I've started reading Dubliners in parallel and it's so fantastic in comparison that I feel Joyce and Auster don't even share the same profession.

If someone holds Paul Auster in high regards, please explain.

Also, should I read Portrait of the Artist as a young man after Dubliners or go straight to Ulysses?
Should have read Joyce way before, his ability to encompass the human condition is awe-inspiring
>>
>>8245268
Portrait before Ulysses. The other way around doesn't make much sense. Haven't ever read Auster, so couldn't tell.
>>
>>8245268
>tfw took an Auster class where we read 7 of his books

One trick pony, really. The New York Trilogy and Book of Illusions are decent reads, though.
>>
That book ends in a very strange way.

Should've read the New York Trilogy first, your reading of Brooklyn Follies would have been more critical. His books after 2000 are very slice-of-life, which was the pleasure I derived from Brooklyn Follies.
>>
>>8245274
Thanks, anon, I was suspecting that, it's nice to have a confirmation.
>>8245283
>>8245298
To be fair, I was ok with the first hundred pages, I even think his prose can be quite eloquent at times. But it all goes downhill from there, the part when they encounter Lucy is honestly endearing but the whole Aurora arc and the ending in general kind of make me want to puke a little. So many clichés and rushed conclusions of arcs. In the end, the whole book feels like a failure, the second half is at least three times worse than the first half.
I may try The New York Trilogy but Joyce has won my attention for now
>>
>>8245268
The New York Trilogy and his first memoir, The Invention of Solitude were great. Everything else is very hit and miss, with his later books being his weakest.

That and read Portrait before Ulysses. It's not even that long, don't be a lazy faggot.
>>
>>8245339
I intended to read both anyway, I'm lazy but not that much, I was just pondering over which to read first. Also, I've wanted to read Ulysses for a while now and quite excited to do so now that I've started Dubliners. But if Portrait is important to understand Ulysses then I'll go for it first
>>
Sunset Park is forgettable. Oracle Night is uneven. Travels in the Scriptorium is Auster completely disappearing up his own ass.

I actually kind of enjoyed reading them even though I don't think they're very good. His prose is clean and his ideas are interesting, just not nearly as interesting as he thinks they are.

New York Trilogy is the exception and definitely worth reading, although even in the tiny subgenre of postmodernist-hard-boiled, Noir by Robert Coover is better.
>>
You pretty much have to read The New York Trilogy if you want to see why anyone likes him. Everything else is skippable.
>>
>>8245388
Thanks, I'll check that out

Also, this thread has convinced me to read The NY trilogy, I guess I should pay more attention to the order in which I read an author's works.
My local library has such a poor selection of books in English that I usually don't have much choice when I go there which is why Is started with The Brooklyn Follies. Obviously, that was a mistake.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.