[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this book worth it, or is it just a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 17616134._SX540_.jpg (102 KB, 540x413) Image search: [Google]
17616134._SX540_.jpg
102 KB, 540x413
Is this book worth it, or is it just a meme?
>>
>>8244513
It's neither
>>
you are the only meme here
>>
It's hilarious. Every single page will make you laugh if you don't take it super-seriously. Nora recounted being kept up late into the night by Joyce himself cackling at the jokes he filled it with
>>
>>8244524
i've read a very small amount of the beginning and skimmed around looking and it and can confirm it's pretty funny.

>tfw the only joke i'm sure I got was the hohoho my finn line
>>
>>8244513
I think it's worth it if, initially, you only read it to enjoy it. And by enjoy it I mean take pleasure in the play of puns and the sense of mystery surrounding the the 'plot' or events that seem to occur. The foregrounding of the language itself in the encounter with the text, I think, forces us to read it more as poetry than prose, and so the approach to the text and the expectations of what to get from it should change correspondingly.

It's not worth it if you plan on slogging through it with no pleasure. Don't read it because it's important or difficult or meme-ish. Pick it up and read some, then put it back down when it becomes boring. Return to it later and try to make it a pleasureable thing. Then it is worth it.
>>
File: nippon steel.jpg (161 KB, 786x1071) Image search: [Google]
nippon steel.jpg
161 KB, 786x1071
>>8244522

you better take that back
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.