[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Lose your mind, come to your senses"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 600x450
I haven't heard, I guess the right word would be seen, on this board any talk of the late German psychologist Fritz Perls. Was introduced to him through YouTube by fantastic video of his demonstration on gestalt therapy (I'll link it at the bottom). There are a few videos all of them extraordinary on his approach to therapy which is not a Freudian excavation of the past but of confronting the patient with the present moment where the patient is not mind/body but a whole person. I'm getting through his last concise work Gestalt - Eyewitness to Therapy and combined with my viewings of his actual films I find his "whole approach" rather groundbreaking. It's as if Heidegger had developed a psychoanalytic method for being-in-the-world. Here are some things from the book;

If you try to be aware of what's going on- then, you see, very soon you leave the secure basis of the now and become phobic. You start running away into the past and start to associate freely, or you run into the future and start to fantasize the terrible things that will befall you if you stay with what's going on or you do all kinds of things.

Again, we have to go another step further and say that neurotic suffering is suffering in imagination- suffering in fantasy. Somebody calls you a son of a bitch, and you think you're suffering.

I would like to call gestalt therapy the philosophy of the obvious. We take the obvious for granted. But when we examine the obvious a bit closer, then we see that behind what we call obvious, is a lot of prejudice, distorted faith, beliefs and so on.

http://youtu.be/it0j6FIxIog
>>
>>8243930
this is why humanities need to be closed down and all humanities students should be put to death.

absolute horseshit
>>
>>8243937
Shew plebeian
>>
>>8243950
take the redpill already and stop embarrassing yourself
>>
>>8243955
What exactly r u rambling about
>>
>>8243937
>>8243955
help yourself, kill yourself

http://lostallhope.com
>>
There is not much talk about gestalt psychology (or for any type of psychology for that matter, even Freud and Jung are rarely actually discussed) because it did not have the influence on the wider culture that Freudian and Jungian psychologies had. As a scientific theory, the problem with gestalt is similar to other earlier psychologies: too many unfounded assumptions. Cognitive psychology is the modern equivalent.

As a therapy it might be OK. Even psychoanalytic therapy can be appropriate on a case-by-case basis, even if the theory as a whole is more-or-less discredited.
>>
>>8243930
I read his In and Out the Garbage Pail. Dude's legitimately insane.
>>
>>8243981
You obviously don't know what gestalt therapy is
>>
OP, I can't look at it right now, will check later, but appreciate thread.

I'd just like to say that Freud is hardly about an "excavation of the past", because the analyst is not the one doing the digging. You're right in your assumption that the neurosis work in relation to the past and to the future, but that doesn't necessarily mean the best way to work around it is to stop looking at the past or the future. The patient brings these issues himself and Freud's work, as well as other analysts, is about dealing with this past and dealing with these expectations (by a variety of means, depending on the analyst) not because they happened, but because they keep showing up to haunt the patient in the present.
>>
>>8243997

One would assume it is the practical application of gestalt psychology, which focussed on the fact that consciousness forms by noticing different types of shapes and patterns, similar to what in CP are called schemas. Difference is that GP made the assumption that whole consciousness is based on these types of procedures where the mind creates wholes, where as in CP no such assumption is made, but instead the various mental processes are looked at in and of themselves, as much as possible. Which is exactly what separates most modern psychology from practically every pre-60s psych.

Gestalt therapy may, of course, be something completely different.
>>
>>8244004
SOMEONE NEEDS TO BAN THIS CANCER FROM THE BOARD
>>
does anyone have a pdf to his gestalt therapy book
>>
>>8244026
It is
>>
>>8244001
What's precedent is that the issuer ("past" or "future") is showing up Now, and showing a very deabilitating way. Primal scenes or repressed memories are intellectualizing and obscuring symptoms that, if acknowledged , would be the first step towards homeostasis. Freudian psychiatry keeps u on the couch and dependent on your therapist. The therapist knows more about u than u do. It's ridiculous. Perls approach is much simpler because u do the dirty work, but more difficult because learning to cope means facing our most weaknesses
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.