[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't want to "fall for the x meme". Can you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1369450524864.png (200 KB, 361x351) Image search: [Google]
1369450524864.png
200 KB, 361x351
I don't want to "fall for the x meme". Can you guys please just tell me where I should get started to become more well read. What are the essentials? Would be right to assume that starting with novellas is the best choice?
>>
>>8242795
infinite jest
ulysses
gravity's rainbow
>>
File: newtrology7.jpg (220 KB, 850x500) Image search: [Google]
newtrology7.jpg
220 KB, 850x500
>>8242795
>>
Not falling for a meme is a meme, now.
>>
>>8242795

Starting with the Greeks is actually a bad idea if you are not well read.

Start with 20th century American novels and move backwards to 19th century British novels, then move on to Shakespeare's plays and the Greeks. Only after that should you read the avant-garde/experimental/postmodern novels that /lit/ masturbates to.
>>
>>8242795
Just look up some authors who sound interesting and you've never read before. I got into more literary fiction after reading basically nothing but genre fiction and the occasional classic by grabbing a bunch of John Hawkes books and starting with those.
>>
So should I start with high school level books like Great Gatsby, animal farm, etc and then work my way into more specialized books like maximalist and existentialist works?

Or should I just read whatever and have fun.
>>
>>8242871
>should I just read whatever and have fun
No, definitely don't do this. That is the worst path you can take.
>>
>>8242877
Help me anon. I don't want to have fun. I want to be part of the elite.
>>
>>8242879
he's rusing you
>>
>>8242826
>reading Shakespeare before Greek tragedy

triggered
>>
>>8243044
Why? Shakespeare didn't read Greek. He's far more influenced by Terence than any Greek playwright.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.