[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone know of some good Ancient Roman-esque fantasy? Not historical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: throne of bones cover.jpg (53 KB, 333x499) Image search: [Google]
throne of bones cover.jpg
53 KB, 333x499
Anyone know of some good Ancient Roman-esque fantasy? Not historical fiction, but like a whole new world and shit (think Codex Alera).

I've gotten wind of one book called Throne of Bones but going by the author's other works he comes across as like some amalgamation of /v/, /pol/, and /tv/ (has an unironic book called "Cuckservative") and while the guy's free to have his own political views, I'd rather not have that shit shoved everywhere into my fantasy reads. If I wanted to read books about IRL politics, I would buy a book about IRL politics.
>>
Maybe Glen Cook's Dread Empire? (haven't read it)
If you don't mind historical fantasy there's quite a lot of it with the Greeks, like Gemmell's Parmenion or Troy novels, or Wolfe's Latro series
>>
>>8242239
Hey idiot, Vox' whole idea is to ger away from real life politics in his fiction. He is anti-SJW which means race, gender, sexual preference, religion, etc. are not the core of his work. The story is.

He is exqctly what you are looking for.
>>
>>8242395
This. Vox is a goddamn hero fighting for the light in a dark world. So make sure you buy the hardcover off Amazon. Don't cheap out on the ebook. He deserves the money.
>>
File: elaborately expensive.png (256 KB, 1094x572) Image search: [Google]
elaborately expensive.png
256 KB, 1094x572
>>8242395
Cool, how's his writing?
>>8242429
What the fuck. Why is the physical copy so fucking expensive.

Do you seriously expect me to shell out that much you nignog?
>>
>>8242239
Honestly A Throne of Bones is exactly what you're looking for. Granted the author is too busy publishing stuff like "KEKSERVATIVE" and trolling the Hugo awards to get the second book published but it probably will come out one of these days.
>>
>>8242448
Either support the war effort or fuck off to Reddit.
>>
>>8242448
>how's his writing?
Writing quality is decent at worst and probably above average for modern epic fantasy, obvious thought/craftsmanship put into concept and worldbuilding makes for good execution overall. Extracurricular activities aside Vox easily has the chops to be a mid list writer.

Worst part about the book is that it's been years and the author has been too busy with side projects to get the sequel published. He has done some shorter works set in the world since though, and they've been pretty good.

Oh yeah don't pay $250 for a hardcover book I had no idea it was that much. What's funny though is someone was probably paying close to that much to get the price that high, For The Cause I assume.
>>
>>8242489
>Worst part about the book is that it's been years and the author has been too busy with side projects to get the sequel published. He has done some shorter works set in the world since though, and they've been pretty good.
Fuck. With no real details, how's the first book end? Like everything it set out to do is wrapped up or cliffhangers all around?
>>
>>8242504
There are loose ends but the story is reasonably self contained. It's similar to the earlier ASOIAF books, although Vox swears it will only be a trilogy.
>>
>>8242547
Cool, I'll look into it, thanks.
>>
>>8242289
no Roman tendencies at all
also the series is a clusterfuck that ends up going nowhere
read the two prequel novels (collected in A Fortress in Shadow) and forget this series existed.

Really nothing out there to scratch my Black Company itch. Cook's other works don't do it.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.