[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Favorite Lovecraft story? Favorite Lovecraftian story? What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: hp.jpg (539 KB, 1063x657) Image search: [Google]
hp.jpg
539 KB, 1063x657
Favorite Lovecraft story?

Favorite Lovecraftian story?

What do you think of Lovecraft in general?
>>
>>8236200
>Favorite Lovecraft story?

rats in the walls or the color from outer space.

>Favorite Lovecraftian story?

perutz' the master of the day of judgment but it predates him.

>What do you think of Lovecraft in general?

trash writer.
>>
>the horror that lay before my eyes chilled me to the core, so hideous that I can barely bring myself to think of it, oh indescribable horror!

That's every story he wrote. Ever. Just saved you like 1000 pages.
>>
>>8237631
His technique is not about delivering clever one-liners, but slowly enticing you towards what seems to be resolution only you figure out it's not. It's what makes his works inherently scarier than most works in my opinion. Because the horror is implied.
>>
Favorite Story: The Music of Erich Zann

Favorite Lovecraftian Story: The Willows by Algernon Blackwood

Opinion of Lovecraft: Somehow both overrated and underrated at the same time. He's okay.
>>
>>8237646

Yeah but it's a pretty tired mechanic after the thirtieth time. Holds a real punch for the first few stories of his that you read, and then it gets pretty predictable. "We're meaningless in the face of cosmic horror, we're victims of circumstance and forces we can't begin to comprehend," yadda yadda yadda.
>>
>>8237662
>The Music of Erich Zann
Just read that story the other night, I thought it was great. Really psychedelic.
>>
>>8236200
My favourite is The Outsider.

Who Goes There (story which inspired The Thing) is my favourite Lovecraftian (non-Lovecraft) story.

To say I love Lovecraft doesn't do justice. The guy is my idol. I even have a Lovecraft tattoo. He is the reason why I started writing short stories.
>>
>>8237667
Not trying to be offensive, but maybe you just lack imagination. It's not the words, it's the thing between the words.

How do you feel when you read a Lovecraft story on a warm sunny day with sounds of children laughing outside? Contrast this to how you feel when you read a Lovecraft story alone, at 2 am in your barely lit room?

There's something about the atmosphere HP creates that's honestly out of this world. I feel you have to really get the setting down first for it to terrify you properly.
>>
>>8237631
Kill yourself holy shit, 2011 tier pseud. Seeing you is like seeing a confederate zombie that still thinks it's serving the greater cause for the douth
>>
>At the mountains of madness
>There are more things (Borges)
>fun to read in general.
>>
>Fave story
Rats in the walls, I love stories about human evolutionary degradation, they are the most horrifying ones.

>What do I think of him
He's my fave author, it'd be awesome to be friends with him. He's redpilled but not autistic and has good taste in horror. 10/10 guy.
>>
File: 79834543.jpg (225 KB, 600x845) Image search: [Google]
79834543.jpg
225 KB, 600x845
>>8237670
>tattoo
Let's see it, senpai.

My favorite is also The Outsider.
>>
>>8236200
What's up with the Lovecraft revival in recent years?
>>
File: how gauche.png (33 KB, 175x212) Image search: [Google]
how gauche.png
33 KB, 175x212
>>8237686

>maybe you just lack imagination

Don't be condescending. Imagination isn't enough to distract from what is ultimately a very basic formula. Between that and his needlessly florid prose, I just never found myself engaged with his writing.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.