[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best way to take notes while reading non-fiction?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1450860053574.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1450860053574.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
What is the best way to take notes while reading non-fiction?

I tend to sperg out and go back to my notes thinking they're either not concise enough or not detailed enough and it ends up taking me overly long to make any progress
>>
I read via epubs. I highlight useful passages. On passages that are vague but meaningful I highlight in a different colour and add a note over it that appears when the highlight is clicked.

I don't note near as much as I highlight however. Just note whatever requires addition thought beyond the material presented.
>>
>>8234645
What app do you use
>>
>>8234634
I jot down general summaries in a separate notebook, while more liberally bracketing/underlining passages in the book itself. After finishing the book I'll re-read my separate summary, then flip back through the text looking at only the sections I marked. If they're relevant on the broader scale of the whole work, I make notes of them; if not I just pass by them, or save them IF they're at least curious/interesting.
>>
>>8234650
Depends. Some books are on Google play - a great app, built in one-touch dictionary as well and carries across all devives your account is on.

For books I torrent, I use Universal Book reader (Android) and for IOS I use Ibooks. Make sure your files are .Epubs as you can't highlight or annotate on a .Pdf, just bookmark.
>>
>>8234634
marginalia and a stupendous memory, generally. i am also frequently struck by some brilliant lines of commentary; this i record on an index card, in the corner of which i mark the page of the passage which inspired it. then, i tuck it into the spine and continue along. i have whole papers stored in the books which will be their subject matter.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.