[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this really fucking necessary?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: george rr martin.jpg (1 MB, 2134x707) Image search: [Google]
george rr martin.jpg
1 MB, 2134x707
Is this really fucking necessary?
>>
the books are 50% descriptions of clothes and food and rooms and shit, if not more. get used to it if you wanna read em
>>
He's a genuinely fucking awful prose writer. I do think the stories are pretty entertaining and he could have been a brilliant TV writer but Jesus Christ.
>>
>>8234299
Necessary? I don't know. But colours are used to tell stories by their association with qualities. A nine year old would know as much.

And in fantasy writing this sort of thing is expected - even demanded, by readers.
>>
>>8234313
>the books are 50% descriptions of clothes and food and rooms
But why? I watched an interview with him where he explains why he is so descriptive and claims it helps immerse the reader into the scene. I get the logic, but it isn't necessary at all.

"They ate a deliciously crispy duck" serves the same purpose as the long as fuck descriptions he comes up with. This is grade school shit.
>>
Thats pretty standard, OP. And descriptions like that can help characterize very subtly.

learn 2 prose
>>
File: 1371200874149.jpg (412 KB, 500x3901) Image search: [Google]
1371200874149.jpg
412 KB, 500x3901
>>8234299
GRRM is no prose master, but he's better than most fantasy writers. The only reason he gets so much shit is that the popularity of the books and show makes it an easy target for those looking to demonstrate their 'superior taste'.
>>
>>8234299
i'm surpised to learn that this reads pretty decently.
>>
>>8234399
It's more palatable than some /lit/ posters would lead you to believe.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.