[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
would you live in Plato's Republic™?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: plato-the-republic.jpg (796 KB, 874x1416) Image search: [Google]
plato-the-republic.jpg
796 KB, 874x1416
would you live in Plato's Republic™?
>>
uhm no?

he was being retarded on purpose to troll Thrasymachus
>>
>>8233146

Depends which one
>>
File: 1456421676264.png (283 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
1456421676264.png
283 KB, 460x460
Idiot, it's even stated in the book that the Republic can never be realized, that's why it's an ideal.

Also, children riding on dogs to battle, lol, Plato was smart enough to make the whole thing a joke, but a joke one can learn from and better oneself. The book is not about statecraft, but the topic is justice, with a state as metaphor.
>>
>2016
>giving credit to ancient philosophers other than aristotle
ISHYGDDT
>>
>>8233146
is there anything to read before reading this?

ive read homers epics
>>
>>8233174
not really
>>
>They thought Plato was merely trolling

I bet they think Machiavelli was being satirical too...
>>
>>8233168
>The book is not about statecraft
not true imo
>>
>>8233174

No, just go in dry.
>>
>>8233174
Assuming you've picked up some Plato through osmosis you should be fine.
>>
>>8233177
>>8233184
best translation?

i have a benjamin jowett translation

does it matter?
>>
>>8233183

Dude, look at the topic being discussed the first couple of chapters. When does Socrates introduce the Republic and how? The paragraph prefacing the State-metaphor is crystal clear it is a way of looking at something writ-large to study something small.
>>
>>8233194
he talks about more states than the Republic though
sure the book isn't meant to be a literal guide on building a nation but statecraft is still part of it
>>
>>8233193
Hackett is always best, but any should be fine for Plato. Or just learn Ancient Greek.
>>
We already do and it's with large extra dimensions. Think of a 2D being (shadow people), they can't see higher dimensions like 3D though 3D exists. We can see shadow people but they can't see us.
>>
>>8233223

Nope, still a metaphor. The hints he drops, about dogs, children in battle, an un-electable philosopher needs to be elected king, &c makes it abundantly clear he speaking about an individual as if it's a state, and not a state itself. Plato, being quite clever, does give the metaphor some sense, though.
>>
File: starting greeks.jpg (2 MB, 3240x3600) Image search: [Google]
starting greeks.jpg
2 MB, 3240x3600
>>8233174
Yes, pic related.

Don't be a fucking pseudo like:
>>8233177
>>8233184
>>8233189
>>
File: congressionalvape.png (772 KB, 1067x795) Image search: [Google]
congressionalvape.png
772 KB, 1067x795
>>8234347
Yeah man, letting charts on /lit/ tell you what to read all the time is the surest way to avoid pseudo-intellectualism

You should never just go ahead and read the works that you're both capable of and interested in reading, you'll never become patrician that way
>>
>>8234383
If someone really is interested in reading works by Plato and isn't just a pseudo that wants to read Plato to look smart, he'll read works that complement the understanding of his books instead of just "Reading what you're capable of and interested in".

Philosophy isn't like genre fiction where you read A song of ice and fire because it seems cool.
>>
>>8234383
Reading books with the help of charts and lists prepared by others who actually know a lot about this stuff can help you a tremendous amount in understanding things.
>>
>>8234405
The Republic is hardly inaccessible though, there's no real reason to read many if not all of the things that come before it on the chart if you're just interested in reading the Republic

Being more literate and aware of the context of a work will always benefit a reader but one can make a pretty fulfilling read out of the Republic without Herodotus, and certainly without Pope's translations of the Iliad and the Odyssey. Insisting upon a reading order of canonical works created for and distributed by the literature section of an anime imageboard is more pseud-y than anything desu

>>8234427
This is a more reasonable approach to thinking about charts, but I still think it's fundamentally unnecessary.

The average reader will be able to take a crack at the Republic straight-off and gain a lot from it. It's not as if anyone worth their salt reading the Republic is going to read it just the once. Each time I come back to it I do it with more background and learning, but that doesn't make my previous readings less valuable.
>>
>>8233174
>tfw you irreparably poisoned your mind with Homer
>tfw when you will NEVER be able to live in an ideal Republic
>>
>>8234405
You do not need to read a shitload of primary sources that are peripheral to your interests to understand a primary source that you actually care about. Secondary sources as background for the Republic are more than sufficient, the Republic is probably the most effective dialogue of his in terms of standing on its own.

Granted there isn't a word Plato wrote that isn't worth reading due to the absolutely massive influence Plato still has, even in the wake of Nietzsche, in our world today. But unless you're a NEET nobody has unlimited time and even a NEET needs time to digest works that are so deep and multifaceted in meaning.

I know a guy who 'marathoned' Plato and read the entire works in a few days, tried to argue with him and he had the most basic bitch understanding of everything, he missed all of the nuances because he forced his brain to go through it in a linear, progressive manner like some MMO grind where you had to hit level 2 before level 3. Literature doesn't work that way.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.