[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
unreliable narrator thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1
File: 05.20.2016 pictures 1549.jpg (472 KB, 984x1312) Image search: [Google]
05.20.2016 pictures 1549.jpg
472 KB, 984x1312
post books where the protag: A) actively narrates the story through their point of view B) is deranged/inebriated/unreliable in some way C) contains an actually worthwhile plot
>>
Book of the New Sun
>>
>>8227716
lolita
>>
janine 1982
>>
The Good Soldier
>>
>>8227716

Heart of Darkness. Two "layers" of narration, both arguably unreliable.
>>
>>8227716
Anything by Chuck Palahniuk. Though if you want a good plot, Fight Club is probably his best work.
>>
>>8227804
His prose is so bad though.
>>
>>8227716
The Remains of the Day is the classic unreliable narrator novel
>>
>>8227716
I am not convinced the thread is about that. I think the thread is actually about how you have five /hm/ tabs open
>>
>>8227716
The Fifth Head of Cerberus
Peace
Book of the New Sun
>>
>>8227716
THE REPAIRER OF REPUTATIONS short story from 'The King in Yellow'
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/8492/8492-h/8492-h.htm
>>
>>8227793
hell yeah
>>
>>8227716
Gone Girl
>>
The Sound and the Fury
>>
Cassandra at the Wedding
>>
Pale Fire
>>
>>8227716
the name of the wind
>>
>>8227716
notes from the underground
>>
American Psycho
>>
>>8227804
Crypto-Buddhist bullshit without a hint of literary merit.
Oh man deconstructing the inherent spooky meaninglessness of life by means of narcissistic self-destruction/sabotage and radical impulsivity
Literally every seven year old boy with ADHD does this, and better.
>>
>>8227716
The Sound and the Fury
Absalom, Absalom!
>>
>>8227716
The Darkroom of Damocles by W.F. Hermans
>>
>>8227716
My new Book
>>
The Wasp Factory

Protagonist narrates through their point of view, check.
Very deranged and unstable, check.
Worthwhile plot, check.

It's a super short read, something for a rainy day.
>>
>no one has posted Catcher In The Rye
>>
The Bible.
>>
>>8227716
>>8228277
Listen to the dubs.
Nabokov is gold material for this. Lolita and Pale Fire.
>>8228431
Yeah it seems like most people posting here are over 16 and have read enough to realise what entry-level shit that novel is. Rare for /lit/ innit.
>>
Is Gatsby an example of this? Seems like Nick often makes himself seem better than he is.
>>
>>8228302
Nah fuck off. There's nothing that suggests that Kvothe is an unreliable narrator other than the fact that he draws attention to his narration, and even then it's more about subverting narration tropes than it is about actually being untruthful.
>>
Litterally everything Gene Wolfe has ever written
>>
>>8228030
Still have to finish the rest of the stories, but really liked this one. the statue one was neat.
>>
>>8228443
I don't know if I'd call Nick unreliable exactly, he's definitely limited in perspective, but he's not crazy or purposefully deceitful.
I feel like "unreliable narrator" implies a twist or some greater context, whereas Nick is just short-sighted. Are their more detailed terms for unreliable narrators? Something like character-perspective narration maybe?
>>
Hjalmar Söderberg - Doctor Glas.

Written in diary form, it's like a Swedish C&P, pretty good.
>>
>>8227716
Just browse /x/ for a while to be honest with you familito.
>>
The Loser by Thomas Bernhard
>>
>>8228310
Anything by Ellis really. The Rules of Attraction features multiple unreliable narrators.
>>
>>8227716
The Butcher Boy
>>
>>8228347
I'm not about to pretend Palahniuk is some kind of great writer but he is exactly what OP is looking for.
>>
>>8228846
Gatsby is a narcissist and nick has codependent features. It's subtle, much if the narration indulges Gatsby's externalized self-image and treats his goals themselves, and support for them, as intrinsic moral good.

>>8229240
I guess. OP could just get smashed on benzos for a weekend and get the same though.
>>
>>8228598
well surely the author wouldn't write an actual mary-sue :^)
>>
>>8230125
>much if the narration indulges Gatsby's externalized self-image and treats his goals themselves, and support for them, as intrinsic moral good.
Yeah, I get that, but it's more Holden Caulfield style narration, than it is Bruce Willis was dead all along narration. I think there should be a greater variety in terms.
>>
>>8231184
Definitely. "Unreliable narrator" is like "magical realism."
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.