[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Schopenhauer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3
Read 'Essays and Aphorisms' first, or 'On the Fourtold Root'?

I realize that Fourtold is his first, and that he fortells the reader to read this before his main work (The World as Woll and Representation), and that 'Essays' is based on his last work, but I'm in a dive-in just-read-aphorisms mood.

Will jumping straight into 'Essays' be bad without any understanding to his previous work?
>>
>>8223178
No. Go read Aphorisms, my fellow /lit/erati
>>
If Schopenhauer had been Irish he would have written "On The Fourfold Toot"
>>
Ye, Aphorisma has some good Kantian introduction that I skipped for the most part because of knowing Nietzsche and Heidegger. LETS DO THIS
>>
>>8223178
>>8223178
>Read 'Essays and Aphorisms' first
That's one of the few ones you'll get anything out of without reading Kant.
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 389x590) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 389x590
>>8223178

If you're committed to understanding Schopenhauer, then as long as you read Fourfold Root eventually, go ahead and satisfy your urge for aphorisms. (Usually, Schopenhauer's original books are aphoristic enough, but I don't remember Fourfold Root being quite so rich with them.)

You'll also be in a good position to recognize just how much Schopenhauer's first work is required for an understanding of his last works, depending on how much your interpretation of the latter changes based on the former.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.