[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I read the Politeia and Nicomachean Ethics. What's next?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1466676809934.jpg (157 KB, 1440x1490) Image search: [Google]
1466676809934.jpg
157 KB, 1440x1490
I read the Politeia and Nicomachean Ethics. What's next?
>>
>>8220855

Guys?
>>
Sorry man, I can't help you. Thank you for the meme though
>>
>>8220855
What is your philosophical goal?
If anything read the Republic, since Aristotle responds to it.
>>
>>8221763

I'm going to study philosophy at university. Currently I'm preparing. (Politeia=The republic)
>>
>>8221761

No problem. Always happy to supply other anons with memes.
>>
>>8221791
>studying philosophy at university

Why the fuck would anyone do this? You can study philosophy without doing so in an educational institution and get a degree which will actually lead to employment (unless you're going to study PPE, in which case go ahead).
>>
>>8220855
the botany
>>
>>8221850

Nah, it's philosophy and mathematics for me. Either I'm going to be a neet who studied philosophy and mathematics or I'm going to be just a neet since I literally can't motivate myself to do anything else.
>>
>>8221889
Yes you can. You're choosing not to.

If you're committed to doing shit all be an academic - that's just like being a student for life.
>>
>>8221889
Read the Theaetetus. Solid foundation for epistemology. Euthyphro is a good as well, deals with the piety question with which almost any university course starts. The Cratylus starts you of on philosophy of language.

Reading Descartes, discourse de la methode, is also advisable. Descartes is very accessible and the start of the modern period.

Just a general history of philosophy to contextualise whatever course you get. Plato.stanford.eu is the resource to use. You can further read up on Kant.

If you going for mathematics, take statistics/data science direction for maximal employability.
>>
>>8221914

Of course I'll try to go down the academic road but I probably won't make it. Maybe I'll also throw German literature into the mix and when I'm alone in my neet abode I can try and write a book. Not that I think I'll have some sort of success, it just sounds like a thing I'd really enjoy.

>>8221939

Thanks! I'll get right to it.
>>
>>8220855
>>8221791
Pre Socratics. That should really be first.

Plato's Gorgias, Cicero's De Inventione, then Rhetorica ad Herennium (sometimes sold as by Cicero), then Schopenhauer's Art of Being Right, and you'll never have to read a book.
>>
>>8221992
Stop being so negative, pal. If you genuinely read philosophy and don't just do it at university "because" there is a good chance you are intelligent on some level, and therefore you can make it.
>>
File: pupper.jpg (226 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
pupper.jpg
226 KB, 500x377
>>8221997

Thanks! I also added those to my list.

>>8222009

Thank you for the kind words.

Have a nice day all of you!
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.