[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
High fantasy vs low fantasy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Hi senpai, I want to write a fantasy novel but I don't know if I should write high fantasy like Lord of the rings or low fantasy like the first Game of thrones book.
Any thoughts? Which do you prefer?
>>
Don't write fantasy at all faggot
>>
>>8220722
High Fantasy allows for less restrictions on Imagination.

Just do it well if you're going to do it. Be original. I hate seeing simplistic cliche'd storylines and already existing world cultures superimposed on some generic Shannarashit fantasy realm.
>>
>>8220722
>I want to write a fantasy novel
Oh look, another one, here's your name-tag: FantasyWriter#8195420. Trust me your book will be anything but novel.
>>
>>8220722
GoT universe is full of magic, it's just that the era the book series take place in is a time when all the supernatural elements have dwindled to a handful.
>>
>>8220788
That's just writers in general
>>
>>8220750
What would you like to see culturally in high fantasy? I've always wanted to see more, Latin American and Indian history/mythology used.
>>
Both LotR and GoT are high fantasy you mong. Learn what words mean.
>>
>>8220846
The first game of thrones book is very low fantasy. After that, the rest of the series becomes very high fantasy.
>>
>>8220933
>Someone who has no idea what high and low fantasy means

High and low does not describe the amount of magic and bullshit in the world. GoT is set in an entirely fictional world with non-rational (as in no the magic equivilent of hard scifi) magical elements. Therefore it is by definition high fantasy.

Sincerely yours someone who learns what words mean.
>>
>>8220727
Yes, this.
>>
>>8220722
>I want to write a fantasy novel

kys fagit
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.