[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone here actually read this whole thing from start to finish?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5
File: Ulysses.jpg (20 KB, 374x478) Image search: [Google]
Ulysses.jpg
20 KB, 374x478
Has anyone here actually read this whole thing from start to finish?
>>
yes, many, but not enough

>more people here have read ij than ulysses
>>
>>8220577
>more people here have read ij than ulysses

well one is pop trash while the other is literature so why do you find that surprising?
>>
>>8220591
trash, yes

pop, no
>>
>>8220609

ij is pop shit that's marketed as not pop shit so pop consumers can feel good about reading non pop shit and feel sophisticated
>>
>>8220621
Is that how you think about books?
>>
>>8220563
yes -- twice. loved it. will read again and again and again.
>>
>>8220646
What's on page 189?
>>
>>8220626
? it's how i think about ij because that's what it is
>>
>>8220563
I'm a solid... ten pages into it.
>>
>>8220657
the syclla chapter that finds stephen in a rhetorical battle with a group of librarians at the National Library discussing platonism and hamlet...part of the reoccuring discussion on the nature of hamlet's father/son relationship and stephen's theory that hamlet was shakes great great grandfather... or something like that.

bloom's on the hunt for an example of the crossed keys from an earlier ad. next question.
>>
File: ul.png (60 KB, 1091x741) Image search: [Google]
ul.png
60 KB, 1091x741
I've finished it a few days ago, still under the impression.
Already made a thread when I finished it, but no one responded. It would be great if someone could answer my question: Why is the art of Lestrygonians "Architecture", and can someone explain literally all the color picks for every chapter?
Pic related are my rankings when it comes to difficulty and enjoyment.
>>
>>8220563
finished it a few weeks ago
I wont pretend that I grasped everything it had to offer, i had to reference spark notes at the end of every chapter to make sure i had understood major plot points and themes
but overall i enjoyed it, it was a challenging read but definitely a unique experience that will stick with me
>>
>>8220563

I'm on the Aeolus chapter and have been procrastinating for a week or so, reading Hamsun instead.
>>
>>8220563
No. It's like the original doom, no one's beaten it.
>>
>>8220563
Yes, twice. I had to the first time, and I wanted to the second.
>>
Had a class on Joyce. Probably read like 60 or 70 percent of it, so ill have to read it(every word) again some time soon. For now though I'm reading IJ and looking to go finish older classics
>>
>>8220742
>and can someone explain literally all the color picks for every chapter?
Isn't "aesthetics" enough?
>>
Yes, twice. Though admittedly I glazed over Oxen of the Sun chapter. I get what he was going for, it's just so . . . boring (to me).
>>
>>8220864

dude you have to study that chapter. it's god damn wonderful; most of the Gifford annotations for Oxen of the Sun are on googlebooks for free, and they're very helpful.

it's like the best chapter
>>
>>8220840
I think there's a meaning for every color. For example, I think the color in Hades is "White/Black" because white represents life, and black death. And maybe it's "grey/blue" for Nausicaa because blue is the color of the sea, and grey is the color of the stone that the Church is made of, the one that is often mentioned in the chapter.
Don't have any ideas for the other color picks, other than maybe Oxen (white = life, in the chapter a baby is born).
>>
each bloomsday I start it again, slower each time

>>8220826
please don't rush it
>>
>>8220591
>>8220621
>>8220664
Agreed.
>>
>>8220742
if you read through the chapters lookng out for those colours you see them literally everywhere in those chapters...
also your latin numerbering is retarded and why are you ranking Eumaeus so high...
>>
>>8221772
>if you read through the chapters lookng out for those colours you see them literally everywhere in those chapters
I haven't seen them, can you elaborate a bit?
>also your latin numerbering is retarded
That's how the chapters were numbered by Joyce, what the hell are you talking about?
>why are you ranking Eumaeus so high
It was great, I consider it better than all the chapters below it.
>>
>>8220755
Dude cmon man, Aeolus and Lestyrgonians are two of the best chapters in that they're so well written and easy to read and brilliant which huge effects on the rest of the book.

Pick it up buddy:^
>>
>>8221816
that's funny. I just finished reading this book (well actually i finished the day before bloomsday) and I thought those chapters were probably the weakest in the whole book. Well, Lestyrgonians at least, I did kind of dig Aeolus. I didn't care much for Hades either. I thought the really spectacular chapters were Circe, which was hilariously weird, Proteus, which was godlike, Ithaca, which was just comfy, and Penelope, which although I didn't really enjoy as much as some other parts of the book I think it's placement and style really ties everything together for the story and message as a whole. But other than that, Proteus was definitely GOAT. Well, Charbridis and Scylla or whatever was great too, as was Oxen of the Sun... but I digress.
>>
I plan to. Gotta finish my Homer readings first tho.
>>
>>8220626
No, but that's how the Books-A-Million marketing department thinks.
>>
>>8220563
I have.
>>
I read it just getting into literature and it was very enjoyable
>>
>>8220563

It's difficulty is overrated.
>>
>>8220712

This whole passage is stupid considering that Hamlet, as with many plays, were just rehashed plagiarisms. They were the pop-culture of their time. Like rap, hair-metal, grunge, dubstep, whatever, it was the exact same. You just copy a paint-by-the-number idea and do it yourself.

Hamlet was many stories before Shakespeare took it and applied a simplistic style of poetry onto it which was later praised as "majestic".

There is nothing majestic about iambic pentameter, neither is there majesty in faking words because you're too incompetent to use real ones.

Shakespeare did nothing but take other people's story and present them with a name to the ignorant, the uneducated, the plebeian masses and forever has his name been passed down by the same class until the educated believed it to be true.
>>
>>8223583
>being this much of a pleb
>>
>>8223583
^why are these kinds of people in every thread
>>
>>8221146
ill try. i think the pace while i had 3 other lit classes and that it was...well, an assignment made getting through it harder. i did like it a lot
>>
>>8223583
are you for real?
>>
>>8220563
I have, finished a few weeks ago. While a ton of it went over my head, even with endnotes and outside resources, it was very enjoyable and without a doubt one of the best books I've ever read. It's incredibly ambitious and IMO fully accomplishes what it set out to do. I'm very much looking forward to re-reads in the future.

Favorite chapters, anons? Mine are Hades, Cyclops, and Circe.
>>
>>8223583
muh b8
>>
>>8220563
Stopped ~130 pgs in, utter shite.
>>
>>8223583
I think I just threw up in my mouth
>>
>>8220563
Yes? It's not *that* difficult apart from Oxen of the Sun. It's also immensely enjoyable.
>>
>>8223788
Hades, Circe and Sirens for me.

Circe is a work of absolute genius. Sirens is one of the harder episodes to understand but the musicality of its prose is second to none, I've never had more fun reading something out loud
>>
Favourite chapters are Ithaca and Proteus. Ithaca was so touching in its forensic inventory of Bloom's sad, lonely life.

The worst, by far, was Eumaeus. Honestly fuck Eumaeus.
>>
Circe here although Molly's soliloquy in Penelope was great too -- if only for the complete picture it formed of Bloom.

His kinks/fetishes, willful cuckolding, and romancing of Molly upended I my earlier understanding of who he really was.
Perhaps most interesting is how intertwined sex and shitting are in Bloom's world.
>>
File: eh.jpg (53 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
eh.jpg
53 KB, 604x604
>>8223583
oh honey...
>>
>>8225192
well your butthole is only a few inches from your cock and don't forget Joyce had a scat fetish

There are some fanatical joycean scholars which have attempted to schematise each episode into a different organ and present the entire novel as a fully functioning human body. Its hard to disagree with joyce when he said he'd keep academics obsessing for centuries
>>
>>8223583
good b8 desu

it's funny because in one way it's completely obvious but in another way it completely lures you into suspending your disbelief
>>
>>8225853
Gilbert received that bit from Joyce. Whether it's true or not you can feel the lungs blowing in/out during the news office scene.
>>
Just started The Nostos
>>
>>8220742
I've always been under the impression that this book is just a meme. Is it actually worth reading?
>>
>>8220563
Even if you don't follow it completely- it has some grade A cadence.
>>
yep
>>
>>8223788
Sirens, Circe and Ithaca.

I only finished it around Easter and I already want to jump in again, but I think I'm going to hold off for a year or so, when I'm relatively fresh again.
>>
>>8220563
/mu/tant, whats this ij you guys shit on in a lot of these threads?
>>
File: Infinite_jest.jpg (28 KB, 300x464) Image search: [Google]
Infinite_jest.jpg
28 KB, 300x464
>>8226360
>>
>>8225963
Proteus is likewise all about sight as far as I can see (excuse the pun). the 'ineluctable modality of the visible' and all that. Also Prometheus' son had the power of prophecy, quite literally seeing into the future
>>
I'm currently reading it. 250 pages in
I'm not well read at all (only read like 5 serious novels before it, including a Pynchon novel) but I'm quite enjoying it
>>
>>8220646
So after finishing Ulysses in two months time I tackled Under The Volcano. It's often praised around here and I can appreciate its attempts to embody delierium tremens and alcoholism. However, I don't believe Lowry achieved what he set out to accomplish.
It strived to achieve Joycean heights but my overall feeling is it dwelt on the foothills. The prose in places felt awkward and contrived. Yvonne was two dimensional and his attempts at stream of consciousness didn't really click like Ulysses.

Regardless I enjoyed the book but don't feel it warranted the praise it receives here.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.