[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47
File: WordsOfRadiance.jpg (322 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
WordsOfRadiance.jpg
322 KB, 2560x1600
Lighteyes&Slaves Edition

Recommendations

>Fantasy
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg/
General: http://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: http://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Sci-Fi
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: http://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ / http://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previous: >>8212924
>>
>>8220529
I always read it as swords of radiance
>>
What's the most emotionally crushing fantasy book?
Preferably stand alone
>>
>>8220573
>The Underpeople, animals modified into human form and intelligence to fulfill servile roles, and treated as property.
Sounds pretty furry to me.
>>
>>8220587
Try Tigana.
>>
>>8220529
Is it me or was some of the dialogue horrendous towards the end of WoR? Jesus Christ. I was actually cringing hard at Kaladin's interaction with Szeth.
>>
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/30/books/neil-gaiman-delves-deep-into-norse-myths-for-new-book.html?_r=0

I did not care about Gaiman before but this new book he's writing with norse mythology sounds very cool.
>>
>>8220698
All of his books sound cool at first.
>>
>tfw this thread was dead for most of the day
It was the hardest day of my life for at least two months desu. Don't ever disappear on me again pls /sffg/
>>
>>8220709
We're not that cool.
>>
>>8220698

Oooh, Norse mythology! What an original idea, this is uncharted territory, no one has ever done Norse Mythology before!

Hey Neil, how about a Sci fi book set on... You're gonna love this... A spaceship? Or is that too daring and innovative?

SFF ist tot and we have killed it
>>
>>8220529
Do you guys think that sci fi and fantasy can be as deep and powerful as literary fiction?

legit question, I'm not trying to be a dick.
>>
>>8220813
Why couldn't it?
>>
>>8220813
With the emergence of contemporary writing/writers, absolutely not. No fresh ideas and practically every story is a fan-fic of whatever the flagships of the genre.
>>
>>8220587
Read Martin the Warrior, you don't need to read the other ones of the Redwall series.
It's a stand-alone.

I think the writer started it out as an audio book series for blind children so there's a lot of dialogue.
Any way, it's pretty depressing.
>>
File: Martin the Warrior.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Martin the Warrior.webm
2 MB, 640x480
>>8220878
A lot of Redwall stories were incredibly sad.
>>
>>8220587
Look up Tom Holt at kickass or piratebay.
Most of his stuff, read In Your Dreams and Song for Nero if you can't pick.
>>
>>8220883
Why is it *always* children's novels that are the saddest?

Is it because children aren't yet corrupted by escapism?
>>
File: 1467212455333.jpg (544 KB, 1232x2096) Image search: [Google]
1467212455333.jpg
544 KB, 1232x2096
Asked in the tail end of the last thread and came up empty so I'll try one more time:

Does /lit/ have an opinion on James Branch Cabell?

I'm reading pic related now and the style is really enjoyable but the humor is so dry I feel like I might be missing some of the more dated tropes
>>
File: Cosmere.jpg (56 KB, 537x540) Image search: [Google]
Cosmere.jpg
56 KB, 537x540
>>8220900
I really don't know. Maybe it's easy to write a happy story on the outside that's really full of despair if you look closer (or are old enough to catch on). Kind of like a lot of older cartoons had adult jokes that you don't ~get~ until you're an adult. It's a peculiar phenomenon though.
>>
File: 43354.png (490 KB, 500x707) Image search: [Google]
43354.png
490 KB, 500x707
>>8220813
I don't think any fiction is all that deep or powerful but by definition genre fiction is inferior. I suppose that depends on how you define fantasy though, there is literary fiction that has fantastical elements. The crud most people recommend in these threads is however not very good.
>>8220883
Not going to watch that. Something awful happens to that cute critter, I'm sure. Fuck you for posting it.
>>
>>8220529
I have questions, lads
I was reading the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and it made me curious about some of the books referenced

In particular i'm interested in Wells' "The Island of Dr. Moreau" and Burroughs' Barsoom series
Did said books age well? I know it can sound stupid, some things just don't age, but i'm kinda picky with books, because it could happen that the writing could bore me despite my interest in the premise. And i don't think i've ever read an old-timey adventure book, the closest thing i can think of is LotR but i have the feeling it's not exactly the same
>>
>>8220720
DESU, norse mythology hasn't really been explored outside of vidya, where it's still mostly namedrops here and there, with few exceptions like TES and shit.
>>
>>8220967
Just downloadd those oldies.
They're probably free and legal to get on gutenberg.

Instead of waiting up to a few hours you can easily read a dozen of pages and decide for yourself in less time.

I'm trying to help.
>>
>>8220942
>not going to watch that

It's actually pretty hilarious/badass.
>>
>>8220967
Can't speak for the Barsoom series but I've read The Island of Doctor Moreau and recommend it wholeheartedly. It's been a while since I had read it but it became a favourite. There are certain old mannerisms in his writing that are a given but the writing doesn't feel dated and keeps you interested.
>>
>>8220813
Download The Martian Chronicles from Bradbury
Then read "There Will Come Soft Rains"

>>8220942
>Not going to watch that.
He's Martin the Warrior.
Do you really think he'll lose?

>>8220813
Literary fiction with fantastical elements is fantasy.
So it can be as good, of course most of fantasy/sci-fi will have people who write just for the big bucks and/or fame which is genre fiction which is *inferior*
Though there's also a whole lot "literary" fiction that's just as crap as any genre fiction book.
>>
>>8221018
Uh, never thought of that, books are the last thing i'd think of pirating. Thanks for the advice

>>8221052
I guess i'll try that one out as soon as possible then. I just read Frankenstein so i guess i'm already in the mood for 18th century mad scientists
>>
>>8220967

Wells is very readable but Island of Dr. Moreau is his most political and philosophical works despite its many silly genre adaptations so it might not be what you're expecting. Time Machine, Invisible Man and War of the Worlds have all aged better because the politics are more subtle.
>>
Finished Malazan 2nd book
Did I like it?
What do I think about it?
Will I read the 3rd book?
>>
>>8221075 (you)
>>
>>8220967
I only read the first one (A Princess of Mars) years ago but I thought it was pretty good

Some dude online made it into a comic in the early 00s with literally every character nude
>>
>>8221066
>pirating
It's literally not pirating because those books don't have copyrights any more.

If it's on Gutenberg it's legal to download and upload/share freely.

It's only piracy if it's illegal.

>>8221075
It was a bit of a drag to read
I don't think I will continue
>>
>>8221094
Yeah yeah, you know what i meant
Plus i like my books in my hands

>>8221088
Noticed that. Made me wonder if the original works were as sexual
>>
>>8221075
Yes.
You roil with unexamined emotion.
You are an incurable autist, of course you'll read the next one.
>>
>>8221104
Get a Kindle

Probably the best purchase of my life for value/money ratio.
>>
>>8221110
>Get a Kindle
Nah
>>
>>8221108

Thank you
>>
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17675462-the-raven-boys

Is this book enjoyable for non-teenage girls? I'm guessing no one here has read it.
>>
>>8221337
>YA
No.
>>
>>8221337
Wolves of Mercy Falls was shite

Just read Martin the Warrior
>>
>>8220900
A lot of adults think sad books are good for kids, and kids will read anything.
>>
>>8220908
Sorry man, I'm still working through Fletcher/de Camp.
>>
File: Promise_of_Blood_book_cover.jpg (42 KB, 272x426) Image search: [Google]
Promise_of_Blood_book_cover.jpg
42 KB, 272x426
Do the Powder Mage books get better? I'm halfway through the first one and all the characters seem uninteresting and the plot seems like shit.
>>
>>8221518

>book one of...

into the trash it goes
>>
>>8221518
B-But m-muh magic system
>>
>>8221345
You're right, Kobo's are way better.
>>
>>8221518
Yeah, one of the king's mages survives and spends a lot of the rest of the books wrecking things, and the detective and the savage girl get better.
>>
>>8221009
>DESU, norse mythology hasn't really been explored outside of vidya
You know this >>8220720 guy was being sarcastic right? There are a bunch of Norse books outside of Vidya, it's just that You didn't read them.

Hell, Rick Riordan started a Norse series, so the normies will get their hands on it even more.
>>
File: marc-and-gene.jpg (196 KB, 876x657) Image search: [Google]
marc-and-gene.jpg
196 KB, 876x657
Look at his eyes, you can see the defeat.
Years of toil, and for what? One fanboy who calls in the middle of the night, when you just fell asleep after 3 days of insomnia to discuss some book you wrote decades ago.
You want to tell him to fuck off, but you don't have the heart. So you just sit there, with a dead glazed look in your eyes trying to weather his attention before you die
>>
>>8220529
hey guys dino anon here
give me some ideas of things to shoop i'm bored
>>
>>8221991

marc is a QT
>>
>>8222020
Your mom blowing a dinosaur.
>>
>>8222020

Jurassic ___ movie poster shops.
>>
>>8222020
mildly interesting digits
>>
>>8221991
I see the steely gaze of a man who's seen Heaven and Hell.
>>
>>8222020
Gormenghast trilogy
>>
>>8221991
Me on the right
>>
File: IMG_271405762236038.jpg (41 KB, 880x667) Image search: [Google]
IMG_271405762236038.jpg
41 KB, 880x667
I wonder if Gene actually ever came here for some reason to read our stupid discussions about him.
>>
>>8220836
When would you say the cut off date for innovative scifi/fantasy was?

Or what was the last "flagship"?

>>8220816

Because of it's limiting itself to a genre and usual lack of real depth. emphasis on usual. There are some really great ones like Dune or Foundation or Hyperion.

I mean they aren't Shakespeare, but they're pretty high tier for fiction, period.
>>
>>8222079
>genre fiction limits itself to a genre
>literary fiction limits itself to real things happening to humans right now but doesn't limit itself to a genre
>>
File: elitist.jpg (14 KB, 400x309) Image search: [Google]
elitist.jpg
14 KB, 400x309
>>8222079
>I mean they aren't Shakespeare, but they're pretty high tier for fiction
*tips*
>all books listed are more than 30 years old
You are the true definition of a dinosaur elitist scum.
Back to the bookcover threads with you >>8210848
>>
>>8222079
How is fantasy/sci-fi together any more limited than non-fantasy?
Fantasy is extremely broad and anything with fantastical elements (on the foreground) is technically fantasy.*
I don't see how it's limiting at all.

>usual
Most "literary" fiction is also bad to shit.
Usual is not an argument whether or not something can or can't reach a certain height or depth

>shakespeare
Who used tons of fantastical elements.
Especially Midsummer Night and Tempest.

*depending a little on your definition.
Some people have more limiting definitions to it.
Like needing a completely fictional world or whatever, even then it's not that limiting.

Any way, how is "limiting" yourself to fantasy any more limiting than limiting yourself to real things?

And I think your Shakespeare example was very bad considering he/they liked their fantastical elements so much.

>cut off date
Oh boy.
>>
Fiction is inherently dumb and escapist. Real men read about real things, not some made up bullshit by a poofter.
>>
>>8222174
"The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact."
>>
>Gormenghast, that is, the main massing of the original stone, taken by itself would have displayed a certain ponderous architectural quality were it possible to have ignored the circumfusion of those mean dwellings that swarmed like an epidemic around its outer walls. They sprawled over the sloping earth, each one halfway over its neighbour until, held back by the castle ramparts, the innermost of these hovels laid hold on the great walls, clamping themselves thereto like limpets to a rock. These dwellings, by ancient law, were granted this chill intimacy with the stronghold that loomed above them. Over their irregular roofs would fall throughout the seasons, the shadows of time-eaten buttresses, of broken and lofty turrets, and, most enormous of all, the shadow of the Tower of Flints. This tower, patched unevenly with black ivy, arose like a mutilated finger from among the fists of knuckled masonry and pointed blasphemously at heaven. At night the owls made of it an echoing throat; by day it stood voiceless and cast its long shadow.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
>>
>>8222178
I am but an actor and the world is my stage.
>>
>>8222174
This. Pick up a book and read about the real world. Ideas, people, events that actually happened. Not some faggot's made up shit where he spews all his political opinions throughout the story where his opinions are portrayed in the right and opposer as idiots. Like a /pol/ comic.
>>
>>8222182
Gorgeous, truly magnificent prose.
>>
>>8222147
What, you're denying that the books I listed are good?

And I just haven't seen too many good sci fi of that kind in recent years. If you can give me some examples that would prove me wrong, great.
>>
>>8222216
He's a local troll, ignore him.
>>
>>8222199
Historians and other nonfiction writers put their political agenda in their works all the time. Don't see why people see this as a bad thing.
>>
>>8222216
Try Gene Wolfe, Roger Zelazny, Philip K Dick and Samuel Delany for best sf.
>>
>>8221075
On a scale from "Dragonlance mass-produced garbage" to "Bretty gud", how would you rate Coltaine's story?
>>
>>8222207
>Titus is seven. His confines, Gormenghast. Suckled on shadows; weaned, as it were, on webs of ritual: for his ears, echoes, for his eyes, a labyrinth of stone: and yet within his body something other – other than this umbrageous legacy. For first and ever foremost he is child. A ritual, more compelling than ever man devised, is fighting anchored darkness. A ritual of the blood; of the jumping blood. These quicks of sentience owe nothing to his forbears, but to those feckless hosts, a trillion deep, of the globe’s childhood. The gift of the bright blood. Of blood that laughs when the tenets mutter ‘Weep’. Of blood that mourns when the sere laws croak ‘Rejoice!’ O little revolution in great shades! Titus the seventy-seventh. Heir to a crumbling summit: to a sea of nettles: to an empire of red rust: to rituals’ footprints ankle-deep in stone. Gormenghast. Withdrawn and ruinous it broods in umbra: the immemorial masonry: the towers, the tracts. Is all corroding? No. Through an avenue of spires a zephyr floats; a bird whistles; a freshet bears away from a choked river. Deep in a fist of stone a doll’s hand wriggles, warm rebellious on the frozen palm. A shadow shifts its length. A spider stirs …

>And darkness winds between the characters.

AHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>8222227
Assessing someone's opinion in relation to a real event is doable to assess it.

In a fictional story where they control everything? The only interesting thing from that is seeing how they perceive the world.
>>
>>8222244
God I need to read the second volume after my immediate nonfic.
>>
>>8222239

Who was Coltaine?
>>
>>8222170
>And I think your Shakespeare example was very bad considering he/they liked their fantastical elements so much.
Maybe so. My bad.

I can see your point, I guess. But Literature is often focused on artistic elements while genre fiction doesn't usually have that as a primary concern.

Maybe what I was trying to ask was if sci fi/ fantasy which isn't trying to be "art" is limited and can't be as profound as literature.
>>
>>8222244
>as it were

Is there any phrase more disgusting and poisonous than this
>>
>>8222278
Oh, you're talking about style? There's nothing in genre that prevents anyone from having that. Read Jack Vance.
>>
File: Gormenghast Park.jpg (257 KB, 1080x1599) Image search: [Google]
Gormenghast Park.jpg
257 KB, 1080x1599
>>8222028
>>8222051
Too lazy to get the bottom text out say some shit about dinosaur posters.
>>
>>8221518
Yes. It's the author's first published book and the latter ones are better. Personally it's one of my favorite new series of the last few years.

Though, it just may not be for you. People here love Ian M. Banks but I just can't stand his writing style.
>>
>>8222318
>as if
>>
>>8222073

Wow the one who took that picture must have felt happy as a dog in that company
>>
File: Intelligence Test.png (2 MB, 1096x764) Image search: [Google]
Intelligence Test.png
2 MB, 1096x764
Guys I'm thinking about writing a short story about a guy that works in an intelligence bureau making psy-ops leaflets, set in set in some kind of fantasy or uchronia setting
Good idea? [y/n]
>>
>>8222174
>Fiction is inherently dumb and escapist
Once you understand that IJ, GR, Ulysses, Notes from the underground, the stranger, etc etc etc are all fiction.

If it isn't a STEM book, it's fiction. Fucking asshat.
>>
>>8222501
>what is philosophy
>>
>>8222492
We won't know until you write it, will we?
>>
>>8222221
>he doesn't agree with/like what I like
>he is a troll
nice ad hominem
>>
>>8222457
Banks was Scotland personified and it hurt his writing, his writing literally bleeds bitterness and envy.
>>
>>8222437
>a sffg film
you had one job
>>
>Now I saw how strong the rigid formations of our enemy appeared, rectangles that held machines as big as fortresses and a hundred thousand soldiers shoulder to shoulder.

>But on a screen in the centre of the control panel I looked under the visors of their helmets, and all that rigidity, all that strength, melted into a kind of horror. There were old people and children in the infantry files, and some who seemed idiots. Nearly all had the mad, famished faces I had observed the day before, and I recalled the man who had broken from his square and thrown his spear into the air as he died. I turned away.

>The Autarch laughed. His laughter held no joy now; it was a flat sound, like the snapping of a flag in a high wind. “Did you see one kill himself?”

>“No,” I said.

>“You were fortunate. I often do, when I look at them. They are not permitted arms until they are ready to engage us, and so many take advantage of the opportunity. The spearmen drive the butts of their weapons into soft ground, usually, then blast off their own heads. Once I saw two swordsmen—a man and a woman—who had made a compact. They stabbed each other in the belly, and I watched them counting first, moving their left hands ...one ... two ... three, and dead.”

This book is really, really good
>>
>>8222634

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8zlUUrFK-M
>>
>>8221991
wolfe looks pretty good for a guy who was born before the french revolution
>>
>>8222677
Nothing wrong with New Sun fellow Anti-Dinosaur anon.
... now if that poster was to only read and suggest New Sun... that is where we would have a problem.
>>
>>8222710
... sounds like you wanna fuck him..
>>>/d/ take your fetishes there or better yet.. >>>/aco/
>>
>>8222634
Meh, Abercrombie does this kind of stuff better tbqh
>>
File: b62.jpg (26 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
b62.jpg
26 KB, 600x450
>>8222717
>>
>Titus watched his headmaster. He had no fear of him. But he had no love for him either. That was the sad thing. Bellgrove, eminently lovable, because of his individual weakness, his incompetence, his failure as a man, a scholar, a leader or even as a companion, was nevertheless utterly alone. For the weak, above all, have their friends. Yet his gentleness, his pretence at authority, his palpable humanity were unable, for some reason or other, to function. He was demonstrably the type of venerable and absent-minded professor about whom all the sharp-beaked boys of the world should swarm like starlings in wheeling murmurations – loving him all unconsciously, while they twitted and cried their primordial jests, flung their honey-centred, prickle-covered verbiage to and fro, pulled at the long black thunder-coloured gown, undid with fingers as quick as adders’ tongues the buttons of his braces; pleaded to hear the ticking of his enormous watch of brass and rust red iron, with the verdigris like lichen on the chain; fought between those legs like the trousered stilts of the father of all storks; while the great, corded, limpish hands of the fallen monarch flapped out from time to time, to clip the ears of some more than venturesome child, while far above, the long, pale lion’s head turned its eyes to and fro in a slow, ceremonious rhythm, as though he were a lighthouse whose slowly swivelling beams were diffused and deadened in the sea-mists; and all the while, with the tassel of the mortar-board swinging high above them like the tail of a mule, with the trousers loosening at the venerable haunches, with the cat-calls and the thousand quirks and oddities that grow like brilliant weeds from the no-man’s-land of urchins’ brains – all the while there would be this love like a sub-soil, showing itself in the very fact that they trusted his lovable weakness, wished to be with him because he was like them irresponsible, magnificent with his locks of hair as white as the first page of a new copy-book, and with his neglected teeth, his jaw of pain, his completeness, ripeness, false-nobility, childish temper and childish patience; in a word, that he belonged to them; to tease and adore, to hurt and to worship for his very weakness’ sake. For what is more lovable than failure?

Why does he do this?
>>
>>8222745
Are you seriously reading on your PC?
>>
>>8222748
Yeah, why not?
>>
>>8222753
Personally, I wouldn't have the attention span, I mean, the entire internet is RIGHT THERE next to it.
>>
>>8222753
Enjoy eye cancer.
>>
>>8222756
I don't do it often

>>8222760
Peake's prose already gave me that
>>
>>8222437
Weak craftsmanship, your license should be revoked.
>>
>>8222318
>have has
>>
File: 1467133066003.png (48 KB, 853x543) Image search: [Google]
1467133066003.png
48 KB, 853x543
I'm going to read Prince of Nothing purely based off this image.

You can still stop me though, there's still time.
>>
File: GRI APPROVED.png (61 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
GRI APPROVED.png
61 KB, 800x600
>>8223034
Enjoy
>>
>>8223034
Is it as good as Book of the New Sun?
>>
>>8223034
Next book comes out in 13 days, so read fast.

Who else /cuck/ here?
>>
>>8223052

Nothing is
>>
>>8222492
I'd give it a go, SFF needs more original premises.

>tfw 75% of stories are just "muh quest" or "muh revenge"
>>
>>8222239
crowfood/10
>>
>>8223048
needs to be a list of all the GRI approved books
>>
File: 1387051678728.png (13 KB, 555x407) Image search: [Google]
1387051678728.png
13 KB, 555x407
>>8221847
Well, i did say that out of ignorance, since every time i asked for good books with norse mythology, i've been said American Gods and that's it.
>>
>Robots of Dawn
>suddenly, half a chapter dedicated to Gladia's sex life

Well... I have to say i didn't expect this in an Asimov novel.

Also, how's Bicentennial Man compared to the movie?
>>
>nobody posted this to remark a dinosaur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl2AySUVYGw

Why the fuck are there so few regular KC songs in youtube.
>>
>>8220529
speaking of sanderson, white sand is clearly an older work and i want khriss to fucking step on me
>>
>>8223225
>the whole world follows some shitty 80's rock band
fuck off americlap, go listen your screamo in a corner
>>
File: 1384910791336.jpg (20 KB, 649x781) Image search: [Google]
1384910791336.jpg
20 KB, 649x781
>>8223247
>King Crimson
>Shitty
>Screamo
>Americlap
>>
>>8223247
>King Crimson
>80's
>shitty

I got baited.
>>
>>8223149
Supposedly Asimov basically just put that in there because he'd been criticized for decades for the "unrealistic" asexuality of his characters.
>>
>"Ah." He reached out and pulled her closer, one hand squeezing at the back of her thigh, feeling the muscles bunch and shift as she moved, the other tangled tight in her greasy hair, dragging her head down against his face. His trousers were screwed up tight round his ankles. He tried to kick them off and only got them tangled worse than ever, but he was damned if he was going to ask her to stop just for that.

>"Urrrr," she whispered at him, mouth open, lips sliding warm and soft against his cheek, breath hot and sour in his mouth, her skin rubbing against his, and sticking to it, and peeling away again.

>"Ah," he grunted back at her, and she rocked her hips against him, back and forward, back and forward, back and forward.

>"Urrrr." One of her hands was clamped round his jaw, her thumb in his mouth, the other was between her legs, sliding up and down, he could feel her wet fingers curling round his fruits, more than a bit painful, more than a bit pleasant.

>"Ah."

>"Urrrr."

>"Ah."

>"Urrrr."

>"Ah--"

>"What?"

>"Er..."

>"You're joking!"

>"Well..."

>"I was just getting started!"

>"I did say it'd been a long time--"

>"Must've been years!" She slid off his wilting cock, wiped herself with one hand and smeared it angrily on the wall, dropped down on her side with her back to him, grabbed his coat and dragged it over her.

>So that was an embarrassment, and no mistake.

>Logen cursed silently to himself. All that time waiting and he hadn't been able to keep the milk in the bucket. He scratched his face sadly, picked at his scabby chin. Say one thing for Logen Ninefingers, say he's a lover.

How can GRRM's sex scenes even compete?
>>
>>8223285
Too be fair characterization is probably the worst part of any Asimov book. Other than The Mule all his characters are forgettable af.
>>
>>8223293
>>"I was just getting started!"
>>"I did say it'd been a long time--"
I knew it was first law by then, that part stuck in my mind
>>
>The Darkness Before
>Gay AND rape just in just the first few paragraphs
Impressive.
>>
My book is a little over halfway done now.

It's a modern day story featuring an alien race that's blended into human society. The main character discovers one of them that's come to earth on a peaceful mission but was attacked by their own kind.
Meanwhile the town the story takes place in is enduring a drug epidemic and the locals are being driven into a frenzy.

It has both fantasy and science fiction elements.

Does this sound like something you would read?
>>
Official /sffg/ music video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgW9l7CR1WQ
>>
File: 20160629_175446.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160629_175446.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
Gonna have a hell of a weekend lads
>>
>>8223329
>implying Elijah Baley is forgettable

That being said, it may be due to him constantly changing characters for the story, hence why there isn't much room for character development.
>>
File: Kzinti_ambush.jpg (443 KB, 2974x786) Image search: [Google]
Kzinti_ambush.jpg
443 KB, 2974x786
>yfw there were Kzin in an episode of Star Trek The Animated Series
>>
>>8223264
>>8223260
>>8223225
>>>/mu/
>>
>>8223503
>all space furries are kzin
Okay.
>>
>>8221075
Deadhouse Gates is the best book in the entire series. The first four books are the best in the entire series. It's all down hill from the fifth book on.
>>
>>8222174
>the mundane is better than the fantastical
lol no, anon.
>>
>>8223449
Nah bro. Any music video by The Sword is. They're like the official band of /sffg/. Pretty much all their songs are inspired by dinosaur authors like Howard and Vance.

https://youtu.be/R9ZRbtmnTHA
https://youtu.be/UyJR5sGEdaM
https://youtu.be/iI7227GHvQY
>>
File: Dayside Taldain.png (1 MB, 579x807) Image search: [Google]
Dayside Taldain.png
1 MB, 579x807
>>8223235
How is it? I haven't read it yet.
>he doesn't know about the White Sand novel that was only written partway
>>
>>8221991
That was a great night. One of my favorites. Wolfe has more than one fan boy. He knows there is nothing futile in his efforts - and I don't ask questions about his works anymore. If course if I had the power to suck the life from the masses of vapid and empty humanity and bequeath their youth and energy to Wolfe, I would make it so eternally, but such power was wisely kept from me.
>>
>>8221991
me taking the picture.
>>
File: 1326805898281.jpg (71 KB, 410x272) Image search: [Google]
1326805898281.jpg
71 KB, 410x272
>>8223536
>The Sword
>not motherfucking Rhapsody/of Fire

Nigger, they even have a(rather generic) epic fantasy story told throughout all their albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M2hsI78pzM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jZ6LIam6Hk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_dX5HH8nzY
>>
>>8223618
You sound like if there was such a tning as an ass womb, you would sheath Wolfe's morning star, and give him a new son.
>>
>>8223536
Music is cool, but the first two videos were horrible. Gave me motion sickness.
Third video was better, but the lyrics were drowned out by metal (probably just me though).
>>
>>8223463
Nice find. Happy voyages :3
>>
File: elantris_map_10yr_color_ebook.jpg (932 KB, 2323x1721) Image search: [Google]
elantris_map_10yr_color_ebook.jpg
932 KB, 2323x1721
>>8223582
>dude pulls out a sawed-off
wew lad what AM I reading
>>
>>8222278
>sci fi/ fantasy which isn't trying to be "art"
Way to generalize
>>
>>8223423
Sounds like a blaxploitation film I watched a few years ago.
>>
>>8223518
No, those are literally Kzin. They adapted a Niven story.
>>
>>8224157
Really?
Because it's pretty far removed from blaxpoitation. The aliens aren't traditional aliens, they're pretty anime for lack of a better word.
>>
>>8224170
Yeah, I can't remember the title but it was something really obvious. This escaped slave alien that looks like a black guy crashlands on Earth and hangs out with the black community, and an alien that looks like a white guy is chasing him. Then it turns out that the black alien was actually enslaved because he had three toes instead of two or something. And it took place during a drug epidemic while the locals were being driven into a frenzy.

But I'd read your book if it was well-written.
>>
>>8224176
Oh.
Well in my book, the aliens who have blended into human society on earth are radicals who feel prejudiced against, both by the humans and by the aliens from their homeworld. Lead by a young, charismatic upstart, they decide to forge a new society using the humans around them as slaves.
The alien sent to earth is there to attempt peaceful dialogue and quell conspiracy theory among the two parties, but it only makes matters worse.
The drug involved is special, but saying more than that would give away the plot.
>>
>>8224185
Make it happen in the African-American community in the 70s.
>>
>>8224188
Sorry. It's a modern day story and pretty much everyone is white.
In fact, the aliens are based on the east asian/aztec mythology about rabbits on the moon.
>>
>>8224188
Niggers are awful. Why would you want them in any science fiction story at all?
>>
Anyone else feel like they have bad memory? I can barely recall stuff about the books I've read desu
>>
>exited about Weeks' Lightbringer conclusion later this year
>just found out he decided to add a fifth novel to his "trilogy"
I hate it when authors do this
>>
File: 1457220768786.png (920 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457220768786.png
920 KB, 1280x720
>>8224352
At least he didn't go on hiatus.
Arc anon please deliver. ;_;
>>
>>8220587
Not standalone: Deadhouse Gates
Standalone: The Ten Thousand by Paul Kearney
>>
>>8224200
>It's a modern day story and pretty much everyone is white.
racist
>>
>>8224392
There's an asian and a mexican if that makes you feel better.
>>
>>8223054

Honestly if you wouldn't let Kellhus cuck you, you're a fucking heathen.

Reminder that he HAS grasped the absolute.
>>
>>8224386
>Deadhouse gates
It crushes insomnia at least.
>>
>>8224352
Honestly, I'm happy about this, the parts I enjoy most about these fantasy series is the prefinale theorycrafting; so I usually enjoy a series the most when it's one book from done.
>>
>>8220587
Children of Hurin has that feeling of watching a good friend of yours from like third grade go through life and just fuck up endlessly
>>
>>8220813
Yes, absolutely.
>>
File: 1463159195787.png (190 KB, 458x438) Image search: [Google]
1463159195787.png
190 KB, 458x438
>>8224392
You're the only one here that define people by their race. You are the one who don't want people of a certain race. You're the racist.
>>
>>8224526
>implying there is something wrong with racism
>>
File: file.png (341 KB, 337x500) Image search: [Google]
file.png
341 KB, 337x500
Summer Dragon looks really cool. It apparently was written by an illustrator and thus has about 22~ very detailed illustrations within. And you'd think the writing wouldn't be very good but it seems to be getting almost universally very good reviews.

Too bad the physical costs 25€ here and the Kindle version apparently messes up the pictures. Guess I'll wait for a price drop or something.
>>
>>8221536
I still don't know how "the magic system" is relevant to the high fantasy genre beyong RPG circlejerking
>>
File: riiight.webm (739 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
riiight.webm
739 KB, 1280x720
>>8224602
>Terry Brooks endorsement
>>
>>8223582
>>8223871
Are there 2 cosmerefags, or has reading all that Sanderson finally made the poor fellow trip? Is this schizophrenia in it's infancy?
>>
Hey guys, I am looking for a science fiction book, but I can't remember its title.
Its about some alien device in the centre of the galaxy which transports treasure hunters to random places. That's alI I remember. I think its a trilogy.
Thanks
>>
>>8224602
I sticked by something for years and I'm not changing it now. "If the book has an author with Terry anywhere in his name don't touch it".

Sqme goes for shit he is endorsing.
>>
>>8224646
That sounds pretty dumb, chart anon tier dumb even.
>>
>>8224639
I read that blurb somewhere, the female is some rich bitch that wants to build her HOUSE up again, and some guy that is a pirate and they are being chased by other pirates.
>>
>>8224652
That's because he and I are the same.
And so far all the Terrys I read where shit, it hasn't failed me yet. Unless you actually like toilken knock off .
>>
>>8224669
Yeah, Pratchett's a talentless unoriginal hack, you got me there.
>>
>>8224669
Well that explains the dumbness, I guess you're the only one at that level.

And I'm not even talking about books by a Terry (I've never read him), but the endorsing thing. Gaiman has his name and even introductions in a lot of great books, doesn't make them suddenly shit. What if your favorite book got a new edition with Terrys recommendation on it, would you hate it now?
>>
>>8224639
ah, found it
Gateway (Heechee Saga #1)
by Frederik Pohl
>>
>>8221065
>read "There Will Come Soft Rains"
This was my first Bradbury work and holy shit did it affect me.
>>
>No blood mirror
>nothing good coming out of sanderson's ass this year
>rothfuss is too busy shitting on his fans to finish his book

good year imo
>>
>>8224709
Try not reading garbage authors.
>>
>>8224709
Why would you even care about any of those?
>>
>>8224721
This. Why keep tabs on shitty authors' releases?
>>
>>8224684
>What if your favorite book got a new edition with Terrys recommendation on it, would you hate it now?
>in the digivolution age he thinks I still buy paper
So far I only see physical books geting the blurb recommendations, even if that wasn't the cause, unlike you autistic cunts I don't buy books/look for books I already own. Why the fuck would I have 5copies of the same book? How autistic are you anon?
That is not going to happen.
>>
File: It's the current year.jpg (137 KB, 800x779) Image search: [Google]
It's the current year.jpg
137 KB, 800x779
>>8224721
>>8224745
>>8224714
>>
File: ksbd7rec.jpg (597 KB, 850x1100) Image search: [Google]
ksbd7rec.jpg
597 KB, 850x1100
Anyone read fantasy webcomics here?
>>
>>8224759
?
>>
File: 1449887186685.jpg (25 KB, 320x304) Image search: [Google]
1449887186685.jpg
25 KB, 320x304
>>8224776
It's a /pol/tard trying to stir up shit, don't take the bait.
>>
>>8224762

That comic has good art but shit writing. So I'm pretty bored with it...
>>
>>8224799
>Automagically blaming /pol/ for everything even when it isn't remotely political

Even /lgbt/ contains their homolust better than this.
>>
>>8224762
>>8224807
read oglaf
>>
>>8224762
I'm only actively reading Prequel, if that counts.
>actively reading Prequel
kek
>>
>>8221337
>written by a woman
>paranormal YA romance
99% this is total trash
>>
>>8224776
>stop liking what I don't like
That is what your post was saying, and the guy that posted the pic was trying to get that across... are you new or something? Or are you an actual tumblgay/redshitor?
>>
>>8224893
Wise sage, please tell me your thoughts on Red Rising.
>>
File: lee-lotr_26.jpg (213 KB, 607x999) Image search: [Google]
lee-lotr_26.jpg
213 KB, 607x999
>>8224509

How important is having a grasp on the Tolkien's world to enjoying Children of Hurin?

I know Hobbit and LotR very well but I've only read Silmarillion once a long while ago
>>
>>8224714
>>8224721
>>8224745

What is your problems?
>>
>>8224917
I think Cristopher Tolkien gives a basic sort of overview of the needed information to get into CoH, and the story is one of the ones that Tolkien put emphasis on so he gives a general background when there needs to be.

You'll be a bit surprised coming from Hobbit and LoTR because Children of Hurin might as well be dark fantasy.
>>
Would this thread be an okay place to ask for recommendations if I'm looking for mystery novels with magical realist elements (think A Wild Sheep Chase, or something similar to Twin Peaks)? Or is that too far from the theme?
>>
>>8224998

You will only get elitists who trash on every novel they don't like and claim it is bad or the author is whatever
>>
File: The Land of Laughs.jpg (89 KB, 316x475) Image search: [Google]
The Land of Laughs.jpg
89 KB, 316x475
>>8224998

Jonathan Carroll' Land of Laughs or John Fowles' The Magus sound like what you're talking about
>>
>>8224998
>something similar to Twin Peaks

is this a meme now? we've gotten like 20 threads asking about books like twin peaks this week
>>
>>8225011
Okay.
>>8225016
Thanks, anon.
>>8225020
Wait, seriously? Weird.
>>
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the importance of space travel on religion in Dune. Particularly this:
"Immediately, space gave a different flavor and sense to the ideas of Creation. That difference is seen even in the highest religious achievements of the period. All through religion, the feeling of the sacred was touched by anarchy from the outer dark.
It was as though Jupiter in all his descendant forms retreated into the maternal darkness to be superseded by a female immanence filled with ambiguity and with a face of many terrors."

From what I understand the first part seems to be referring to be established religious canon, wholly concerned with our own planet and species, being challenged by discovery of new planets and life forms. Our religions are selfish, only concerned with our own place in creation and developed with this in mind.

I don't really know what Herbert is saying in the second part though.
>>
>>8225023
>>8224998
The City & the City by Mieville
>>
>>8224998

There's an entire movement called Slipstream that's pretty much exactly what you're describing
>>
>>8225032
Space is uncreated empty chaos. Before space travel people thought that the created world was the entirety of or the majority of existence, at least subconsciously, i.e. tales where heroes defeat primordial chaos and the ordered world takes over.

Once you are faced with the immensity of space, you can no longer believe that that's true. Whatever pockets of created order exist pale in comparison to chaos, which still exists and is massively dominant, and will be forever. It's a reordering of the most basic perceptions of the world.
>>
>>8224998
>>8222437
>>
>>8225210
Have you considered therapy? Having a meltdown every time someone mentions an old book isn't healthy.
>>
>>8225214
Who is havingna meltdown? I'm suggesting the books to him, I would have called him dinosaur if I felt threatened.
>>
>>8224917
You'll be able to follow what happens just fine, I'd argue it's possible to enjoy it without any context at all.
>>
>>8225217
You linked a dinopost so I assumed you were dinoposting.
>>
Bought 8 double-sided shelving units from that liquidated book store. Soon my library, soon.
>>
>>8223523

No it's not, the first book was better
>>
>>8225282
Wish I had room for another shelf, I've got all the empty space on my old one already booked for something.
>>
>>8225301
I disagree with you, poopy-head.
>>
>>8225302
I'm basically building a library inside a 40ft shipping container.
>space on my old one already booked for something.
Getting some SFF?
>>
>>8221518

The other two books are better.

It's neat, I liked it.
>>
>>8225343
Nah, comics. Been putting it off for years.
>40ft shipping container
SERIOUSLY jelly of that kind of space.
>>
File: bakshilotrposter.jpg (322 KB, 979x1500) Image search: [Google]
bakshilotrposter.jpg
322 KB, 979x1500
>>8224944
>>8225218

thanks lads
>>
Anything you can recommend that's low fantasy and brutal? When I say low fantasy, I mean that I'm not too big of a fan of having spells and wands flung everywhere and metaphorically shoved up my anus.
>>
>>8225398
Basically any sword and sorcery.
>>
>>8225398
The First Law
>>
File: WoR_FASHION-AZIR_v02_fmt.jpg (193 KB, 1357x2048) Image search: [Google]
WoR_FASHION-AZIR_v02_fmt.jpg
193 KB, 1357x2048
>>8224762
Not really fantasy but I started reading Tower of God a few days back and I'm not sure why--beyond enjoying the premise.

>>8224623
I was responding to myself, and that isn't schizophrenia. Please do not spout misinformation involving psychopathology.
>>
>>8225415
Tower of God is so fucking bad. I wish I had dropped it, but now I'm too far in and only have to invest 5 minutes a week to keep up so it feels wrong to stop, but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. It gradually turns to shit. Just read a good manga instead.
>>
>>8225308

After a long moment I shall say to you: well you would be wrong then.
>>
>>8225428
Nuh-huh times a thousand.
>>
File: WoR_EPHEMERA_BRIDGE4_v_fmt.jpg (445 KB, 1364x2048) Image search: [Google]
WoR_EPHEMERA_BRIDGE4_v_fmt.jpg
445 KB, 1364x2048
>>8225422
I only read it because I like the premise. Unfortunately, I've only ever found one manga with a similar premise. Would you mind answering some questions about ToG for me? I need to actually write up a small list which I'll do momentarily.

Evidently webcomics like that aren't allowed to be discussed on /a/ (which I would understand if it was an English webcomic)--so there are rarely threads up--but where /would/ you discuss the series otherwise?
>>
>>8225445
If it can't be on /a/, wouldn't that make /co/ the logical place? That's where you talk about webcomics in general.
>>
>>8225445
I don't really discuss it anywhere, so I don't know. There isn't much to discuss honestly, it isn't a particularly deep series. The author sometimes posts tidbits on his blog and some fans translate that.
>>
>>8225422
/co/. If it's Japanese, it goes on /a/. If it's from literally anywhere else, it goes on /co/.
>>
File: WoR_EPHEMERA_IRONSTANC_fmt.jpg (402 KB, 1370x2048) Image search: [Google]
WoR_EPHEMERA_IRONSTANC_fmt.jpg
402 KB, 1370x2048
>>8225454
I guess so but I don't see non-English media experiencing successful discussion on /co/.

>>8225458
True. The pacing is terrible and even someone innathread said that it's best experienced by waiting for several chapters to build up instead of weekly. Also, speaking of deep, I've learned from lurking that apparently ToG is in a fuckhuge world and it isn't the only Tower but I don't remember more about that nor where to read more about it. Probably something the author talked about.

>>8225460
I think it's Korean? I could be horribly wrong but that's why I feel like a /co/ discussion would not go well. I'll actually check /co/ archives though.
>>
>>8225473
Bam meets Urek at one point who says he isn't interested in the tower and rather wants to explore the outside world.

I'll paste the quote, not really a spoiler but I'll put it in them anyways
What fun would it be to become the king of the Tower? Tell Zahard to keep his boring seat. I will get out of the Tower. Outside the Tower, there exists a vast world, rolling skies stretch endlessly, and countless stars illuminate the darkness. A place that is a thousand times -- no, a billion times wider and freer than the tower. Once you imagine that such a world exists, don't you think all those things you want are all so trivial?

If you're asking details about said outside world though.. well, nothing so far. 280 chapters in and they're still in D rank floors.
>>
File: WoR_EPHEMERA-CHULLCYCL_fmt.jpg (384 KB, 1379x2048) Image search: [Google]
WoR_EPHEMERA-CHULLCYCL_fmt.jpg
384 KB, 1379x2048
>>8225495
Gotcha. I figured he'll meet other Irregulars at some point and I know the spoiler about the Jahads never actually ascending to the true top of the Tower but that's about it, iirc. I really hope Bam develops some self-personality and drops the obsession with Rachel. I understand the obsession but I dislike it as a plot device. I know a/the 'big twist' was Rachel telling Bam not to chase her and all that but before I read the series, I figured that would come at the end of the first big arc instead of this weird interaction I'm currently seeing now.

And the outside world details weren't in the series but I don't remember where they would be.

>D rank floors
Figures. An anon mentioned that he'd probably milk it as much as he can and make it drag along. Fuck me why did I even start reading this
>>
>>8225433

Only reddit thinks that the first book in Malazan is bad and not the greatest bestest
>>
>>8222437
How much autism would you need to sit down and make all of this?
>>
File: truthshines.jpg (518 KB, 1440x792) Image search: [Google]
truthshines.jpg
518 KB, 1440x792
>Son of the god of gods
>Has grasped the absolute
>Master of the logos
>Created the metagnosis
>United the three seas
>Performed multiple confirmed miracles
>Descended from superior Norsirai seed
>Heir of the house of Anasûrimbor
>Cucked the heretic, Drusas Achamian
>About to lead the Great Ordeal to the gates of Golgatterath itself

Reminder there are still followers of the No-God in 4132 Year-of-the-Tusk
>>
>>8225711
Son of the god of gods
>Has grasped the absolute
>Master of the logos
>Created the metagnosis
>United the three seas
>Performed multiple confirmed miracles
>Descended from superior Norsirai seed
>Heir of the house of Anasûrimbor
>Cucked the heretic, Drusas Achamian
I only read the first three books, but even I know that the Anasûrimbor dog is raising Drusas' ex whore's son.
>>
>>8225460
Wrong, ToG does in /a/, it doesn't belong in /co/, mods have made this very clear in the past.
>>
>>8226091
Every manhwa/korean webtoon thread on /a/ starts with 10 posts telling the OP to fuck off and then it gets deleted by a mod, so no, not really.
>>
File: BkCressidaCowell.jpg (571 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
BkCressidaCowell.jpg
571 KB, 750x750
Was this one of the best fantasy series for children ever created?
>>
>>8226106
Same with Naruto. It was made in Japan, speaks Japanese, and shows in Japanese... yet /a/ says it doesn't belong there. I hope all /a/utists get fucked in the ass.
>>
>>8226135
That's a good thing though. Anyone who likes Naruto is either underage or mentally underage and thus doesn't belong on /a/.
>>
File: 1454552108683.png (12 KB, 476x538) Image search: [Google]
1454552108683.png
12 KB, 476x538
>>8226144
>mentally underage
>doesn't belong on /a/.
>>
>>8226144
>watches a bunch of borderline/sometimes fully blown pedo shows
>calls others mentally underage, when you are still stuck in your adolencent stage lusting after little girls
>bleach and one shit is openly discussed on the board
>make naruto thread gets deleted, be lucky if not banned
I hope all those pedophile cunts in /a/ get raped, fucking underage autist, they are the worth type of elitist scum.
>>
File: 1440542086790.gif (155 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1440542086790.gif
155 KB, 640x360
>>8226175
>Narutards
>>
Currently ~30% through The Darkness Before. I really like the world this is set in, but I really really don't like all the focus on Akka, the magical pederast and all his whores and fuckboys.
>>
So what the hell is Untas Felak and why is that warren so important?
>>
>>8226184
I hope your waifu gets raped by a pack of hour men.
>>
>>8226175
>I am jealous of another board's successful self-moderation allowing it to retain its culture longer and have better secret santas than my favorite board
>>
File: mb03_urteau-webres.jpg (354 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
mb03_urteau-webres.jpg
354 KB, 1200x800
>newfags dislike /a/
fufufu~
Good, stay off the board then and stop polluting it with your filth. And stop responding to shitposting, you other double niggers.
>>
>>8226233
>successful self-moderation

/a/ has been anime /v/ for years.
>>
>>8226240
And /a/ was forced to allow Naruto threads years ago.
>>
>>8224917
>we will never get a muted, atmospheric LotR series like your pic
>>
>>8226202
Omtose Phellack? I think that's ice and Jaghut
Pretty sure there's a wiki if you don't like figuring things out yourself.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.