[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm sick to my stomah at the cringe from having read this.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: 200_s.gif (55 KB, 461x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
55 KB, 461x200
I'm sick to my stomah at the cringe from having read this.

>I have the Barnes and Noble Classic series version.

>I've read many reviews that it isn't a good translation. I agree with that, I'm trying to read it, but I find myself annoyed with way the book is written, not the book itself.

>I was wondering, do you know any translations that are SIMPLE and EASY TO UNDERSTAND.

>I don't like translations/books that have difficult vocabulary.

>I don't like having to look up in the dictionary every word I read, it gets old pretty quickly.

>I also don't like reading translations that say things in weird ways like for example "Happy are you not?", and writing styles similar to Shakespeare and Old English. I like writing styles that are modern, simple, and easy to understand.

>I want to focus as much attention as possible on the actual material of the book and little to no attention at all to how it is written. I simply don't care about sophisticated writing. I like simple and easy writing.

>So I was wondering, do you guys know of any translations for Plato's Republic that is easy to understand and doesn't have lots of complicated vocabulary?
>>
>>8214647
>I've read many reviews that it isn't a good translation. I agree with that, I'm trying to read it, but I find myself annoyed with way the book is written, not the book itself.
surely this one's understandable?
>>
File: 1465716070056.png (273 KB, 520x307) Image search: [Google]
1465716070056.png
273 KB, 520x307
>>8214647
>mfw im reading a b&n classic right now
>>
>>8214654
I guess my reaction to that is, " well no shit, it's a Barnes and Noble edition of Plato"
Furthermore she wants a non verbose Plato
>>
>>8214660
aha, i thought they were all different posters.
>>
I read a note from the translator in a book I'm reading and he explained that parts of the book have strange diction and structure but that he was more concerned with accurately replicating the material than making it easy to read. I'd rather the translation be true to the work than a mediocre paraphrasing.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.